Chat Thread

No, it's not just you... It was working just fine before we actually brought the site back up and everything... We'll figure it out.

Edit: Fixed

"If this can be avoided, it should. If it can't, then it would be better if it could be. If it happened and you're thinking back to it, try and think back further. Try not to avoid it with your mind. If any of this is possible, it may be helpful. If not, it won't be."

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everything is broken and the site is dead, it's over guys, Kiahdaj fucked everything oh god

So I was thinking about Jeany-boy's podcasts, and imagining how bad it'll inevitably be once someone decides to switch or possess and begin suffering from "slightly-higher-voice" syndrome. Or worse, "drastically-higher-and-bad-sounding-voice" syndrome. So I started fucking with some midi stuff and mapped this preset that made my voice sound higher and different to my sustain pedal. Which makes me really, really wanna see if somebody who can work their foot (Or whatever limb that may be activating some similar trigger) properly and on-time can have a conversation with their tupper in real-time, or something.

Has it been done? I know it'd be hard to like, really have a conversation since one person has to officially stop and step out for the next, but like, idunno. It'd still be interesting.

Well first off, it takes us on average five minutes to switch, when we've only been doing so once or twice a week at least. So no real-time conversations with the voice, though we can proxy. Second, while it would be nice to have our actual voices when talking, we're pretty used to not. But we do sound different, from our host and from each other. No real pitch change or accents, it's hard to explain. If anything my "pitch" is probably very slightly deeper, but more noticeable is.. well, I sound more serious, I guess. I'll put it like that. But it's impossible you wouldn't hear the difference in me and Lucilyn. Her voice might be slightly higher pitch too, but not in a fake way. Say, the difference in someone who's either happy or sad, a natural range. Plus her word choice and mine, how fast we talk, what we actually say, etc. etc. Reisen may sound a bit different in those aspects too, calmer and more gentle, however she does that.

You'd have to know our host extremely well (and know that we switch) to tell the difference in him and Flandre. I can't honestly say how she sounds compared to him because I haven't actually heard her, I just know how her thoughts sound. Like, how she thinks and speaks in-mind is a bit more calm and caring sounding, maybe. But I'm not sure that translates to sounding much different out loud. Probably not.

Also that's one of the two reasons we haven't been on a podcast yet. Lumi doesn't want anyone to start reading what we say in his voice. It's a fair reason I guess, although none of us personally care as much as he does. The second reason is that what we think about things changes constantly, and we'd rather not have what we say recorded and so prominently displayed. We have posts from years ago that don't quite sound right, and those are just a few of thousands. A podcast is much more deliberate, likely to stick around and taken more seriously being in audio.

Hi, I'm Tewi, one of Luminesce's tulpas. I often switch to take care of things for the others.

All I want is a simple, peaceful life. With my family.

Our Ask thread: https://community.tulpa.info/thread-ask-lumi-s-tulpas

Ha. Haven't listened, yet I wouldn't be surprised if a chalupa pod-cast had a bit of cringe.

I've given serious thought to a Text-to-Speech programme not unlike the AT&T T.T.S Speech Laboratory voices (like Mike A.K.A. the Moon Man voice)

However, I thought of it like an open-source project that I would make to render texts from some tulpie friends, then have the code available for folks who have their own recordings/sound bytes to be synthesised so their own chalupas can talk/bitch/EAR RAPINGLY SCREECH at their fancy from the computer.

Alas, I don't know shit about code and think the text-interface would be too clunky/laggy for fluent and intuitive speech capacity.

I've seen good people bleed

And I thought I'd seen it all

But my own two eyes would prove me wrong that day.

There are things that I've done

Only seen by the sun

And those things will be buried in my grave.

Guest Anonymous

Haven't listened, yet I wouldn't be surprised if a chalupa pod-cast had a bit of cringe.

Episode 2 has tulpas.

The way you describe your vocal changes, Tewi, almost makes it seem like Lumi never uses, like, a slightly higher voice than normal just because, or that he speaks in monotone. My voice, by default, is all over the vocal range depending on my enthusiasm, or even general mood I guess. Maybe you're referring to something more subtle than I'm thinking you are, or something. Or maybe I'm the only person who speaks an octave higher than usual when I'm excited about something.

Nonetheless, you're still my numero uno vote for the next podcast, even if you don't want to. Well, after Maverickthecat, maybe.

Karl, they're definitely hit or miss. Not a fan of most of them, including my own, but there're still decent bits overall.

Regular old audio engineering sounds like it'd be more efficient, definitely. Although, your method would definitely require less bullshit know-how, so it'd be interesting if it could be done.

Yeah pitch is probably the wrong word. To be honest, the difference in me and Lucilyn - purely voice-wise, I swear - is that she always sounds happy and I always sound tired or depressed. I just naturally talk like that apparently, somewhat self conscious about it, because it certainly doesn't reflect how I feel. The differences in our voices are just as much differences in other body language too. While there may be a slight pitch difference between the low and high of me and Lucilyn, generally we all sound about the same. It's more of an apparent mood change. To friends and family at least, Lucilyn and I seem like good and not-as-good moods. (I really am not in a bad mood, I just don't express much emotion while Lucilyn expresses a lot. Little emotion is par for the course for Lumi too, though. Yet I still sound "depressed", ugh.)

Hi, I'm Tewi, one of Luminesce's tulpas. I often switch to take care of things for the others.

The friends and family bit at the end there is certainly interesting. I've seen a few examples of people switching and stuff around the host's family, and there often seems to be some kind of reaction, because the tupper is usually, supposedly, so much different when at the helm than the host. A more subtle change is how I always imagined it'd be if I ever got to that point, and it's interesting to see that just being a part of daily life for someone else.

Well I'm not exactly partying with friends and family here, we're mostly just in our room. We have to tone down some of the more prominent personality characteristics of ours (or at least, Lucilyn does. I've seen Reisen talk people through their problems IRL before), but otherwise it's all within the range of "one mood or another" for the little interaction we have.

That being said, Lucilyn has indeed played games with Lumi's friends on Teamspeak many times. His main priority is usually making sure everyone is having fun and doing whatever it is they need him to do for that goal, so she fits in well. On the other hand I've helped them through a difficult part of the game they're playing right now (moving from a hard difficulty up to a nightmare one, finding appropriate strategies and gear) over the last few days.

Honestly, I guess it's just not such a big deal to see our "mood" change for days at a time. I'm certainly not as fun or excitable when playing with them, I was mostly telling them what they should do or just setting up the game in general. I never really thought about it. These guys have known our host for many years, but I'm thinking rather than notice him acting differently, they're simply used to every different behavior he can exhibit, maybe?

Anyways, yeah, we tone it down. And by that I mean Lucilyn tones it down and I try to tone it up. Flandre spent just a few hours one single time with a couple of them, but she's not too different outwardly. And Reisen rarely switches, but I do find it kind of funny to see what she says in his place. Absolutely random sincere advice and other positive comments. But even if your friend is acting a tiny bit strangely, you don't generally jump to the conclusion that they're literally someone else. I think a lot of people here forget about that, and it's why we can switch in relative peace.

On the math test I took yesterday, there was a question like this:

To control vegetation overgrowth, 103 rabbits are released into an area with no predators. In two years the population increases to 412. Assuming exponential growth, how many rabbits will there be in 6 months? Round to the nearest rabbit.

That last bit almost made me laugh out loud in the testing center. Was probably funnier to me than others though.