Chat Thread

if he does something on tulpas I really hope that he doesn't focus on reddit. that is a part of the community that has some strange ideas, and is mostly dominated by young systems that don't know what they're doing

I have a tulpa named Miela who I love very much.

"People put quotes in their signatures, right?"

-Me

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't have a strong opinion about him, but I never watched his content. When I learn to switch, I wouldn't mind watching some of his videos and his blogs myself to get my own opinion.

I'm Ranger, GrayTheCat's cobud (tulpa), and I love hippos! I also like cake and chatting about stuff. I go by Rosalin or Ronan sometimes. You can call me Roz but please don't call me Ron.

My other headmates have their own account now.

If I missed seeing your art, please PM/DM me!

Blog | Not So Temporary Log | Switching Log | Yay! | Bre Translator | Art Thread

• 1 month later...

For a good couple years now I've been meaning to do some actual research on, well, the entire concept of being trans, because I felt like my (very unique, lol) argument on the subject was lacking in the "evidence" department. And it turns out, I'm very embarrassed but not afraid to admit, I was pretty wrong. Or at least, chances are what I always included in my argument as an exception ("people with actual body dysphoria") was probably a lot more commonplace than I implied.

I'm going to find the places I've talked about that on the forum and edit them (just [hidden]'ing them and putting a note/this video there), but I also wanted to say something in a more public place. Basically: If you have even the slightest chance of ever even talking about the subject, I recommend you watch

through about 15:00 of this video. For very very busy people:
is the timestamp for you, exactly 20 seconds should do it.

[video=youtube]

I actually had my research-savvy friend check this ahead of time to make sure this was a trustworthy source/information was legit, and he gave it the OK. I thought it was fine before, but then, I thought my opinion on the subject was fine before too, hmm?

You can watch the whole thing if you're so inclined, the earlier part of the video is introduction, talks about himself and also mentions the awful suicide rate of transgender people, while I haven't really watched past 16 minutes into the video because I really got the point. I just felt like it was an injustice to not spread this information around, preferably in the places I've talked about it before with my not-super-correct perspective, to try and make up for that.

But I can't take ALL the blame; how in the world has no one ever brought up the science behind being transgender to me before? I feel like the trans community is doing an awful job spreading awareness if even a sympathizer like me wasn't aware there was such conclusive evidence supporting them..

Hi! I'm Lumi, host of Reisen, Tewi, Flandre and Lucilyn.

Everyone deserves to love and be loved. It's human nature.

My tulpas and I have a Q&A thread, which was the first (and largest) of its kind. Feel free to ask us about tulpamancy stuff there.

Having read some of your previous posts on trans topics and been forcibly restrained by Vesper from replying in a very belligerent fashion, I'm glad to see you educating yourself on the topic, Lumi. Among trans folk, the brain structure differences are pretty widely known and talked about -- though they were already talking about it as a proven certainty twenty years ago, when much less data was available. The suicide rate gets a lot of coverage too, as does the homicide rate. I don't know why they would fail to convey it to more cis folk, except I kind of assumed that people with any interest in the subject already knew.

But immediately spinning back around to plural issues -- detectable brain structure can't convey the whole story, given that people of multiple genders can exist in a single brain. I know tulpas can experience dysphoria from the body. I also know they don't always. So there's another research project -- what factors influence degree of gender dysphoria in tulpas?

-Ember

I'm not having fun here anymore, so we've decided to take a bit of a break, starting February 27, 2020. - Ember

Ember - Soulbonder, Female, 39 years old, from Georgia, USA . . . . [Our Progress Report] . . . . [How We Switch]

Vesper Dowrin - Insourced Soulbond from London, UK, World of Darkness, Female, born 9 Sep 1964, bonded ~12 May 2017

Iris Ravenlock - Insourced Soulbond from the Winter Court of Faerie, Dresdenverse, Female, born 6 Jun 1982, bonded ~5 Dec 2015

'Real isn't how you are made,' said the Skin Horse. 'It's a thing that happens to you.' - The Velveteen Rabbit

We didn't know about the tested science behind being transgender until you pulled up this video. I think that's really interesting, and I agree that the lack of awareness of it is disappointing.

I wonder if our brain would look more male or more female if we had it scanned...

I'm Ranger, GrayTheCat's cobud (tulpa), and I love hippos! I also like cake and chatting about stuff. I go by Rosalin or Ronan sometimes. You can call me Roz but please don't call me Ron.

Blog | Not So Temporary Log | Switching Log | Yay! | Bre Translator | Art Thread

No offense Ember, but you're one of the people I had in mind when wondering why no one had ever brought this up before. What was there to be afraid of in saying "Hey, your opinion is wrong based on scientific evidence"?

Like again, I'm very disappointed in myself, but I'm not taking all the blame. I've talked about the subject around plenty of trans people and none of them ever corrected/informed me, which is honestly good enough reason to have believed there was no scientific evidence, and if there wasn't, the things I was saying were still the best overall way forward (abolishing gender norms and what it means to be a "man" or "woman", so people could be themselves without them or others worrying about how masculine/feminine/neither they acted)

My tulpas and I have a Q&A thread, which was the first (and largest) of its kind. Feel free to ask us about tulpamancy stuff there.

Eh, not everyone who is autistic is an expert in the science behind autism, I feel like that's the same for people who are trans. It's encouraged to the point it's expected that autistic people self-advocate, but the sad truth is most people are not good at doing that or don't know he right thing to say to persuade people to change their minds. Not all autistic people and trans people are good at sales.

I was seeing red, Lumi. I wasn't in a position to debate intelligently or assume that you were amiable to reason on the subject.

I also am not up to date on the scientific arguments. I learned a lot about trans stuff when I transitioned twenty years ago. I heard a lot during the seven years I was active in the trans community, most of which I was a support group facilitator. But then I moved on with my life and I largely stopped thinking about trans stuff. I wouldn't have bothered coming out on the forum if Vesper's dysphoria hadn't been part of our story.

Back when I left the trans community, the existence of scientific arguments was an article of faith, questioned at your peril, but I thought the data was still sketchy and wasn't willing to rely on it.

I told my ex about your question of why trans people aren't sharing this information and she said firmly, "We do!" But I guess there are a lot of people to tell.

But I also don't regard the scientific evidence as necessary to respect a person's internal experience of gender as legitimate and important, especially in a place like this. "My body is one sex, but my subjective experience of myself is another." Okay, I accept your sincerity and will treat you as you ask. "I have other people sharing my head. I talk to them, and you can too." Okay, I still accept your sincerity and will treat all of you as legitimate.

I'm not having fun here anymore, so we've decided to take a bit of a break, starting February 27, 2020. - Ember

Ember - Soulbonder, Female, 39 years old, from Georgia, USA . . . . [Our Progress Report] . . . . [How We Switch]

Vesper Dowrin - Insourced Soulbond from London, UK, World of Darkness, Female, born 9 Sep 1964, bonded ~12 May 2017

Iris Ravenlock - Insourced Soulbond from the Winter Court of Faerie, Dresdenverse, Female, born 6 Jun 1982, bonded ~5 Dec 2015

'Real isn't how you are made,' said the Skin Horse. 'It's a thing that happens to you.' - The Velveteen Rabbit

Oh yeah? How do I do it then?

I think I know a few people here who would ask the same question about switching. To us the difficulty is similar, as in trivial.

[Joy] I read this as slightly combative. I'm sure you didn't mean it that way.

If you're going to quote out of context of the thread, you gotta at least use the real generated quote, because it comes with a little green arrow (on dark theme at least) you can click to go to the original post - https://community.tulpa.info/thread-guide-approval-and-parallel-processing?pid=279397#pid279397

Depends on what you mean by combative, because I mean, you can tell it's challenging just by looking at it. But I did say that to lead into my point about how the point of most experience sharing on tulpa.info is to maybe learn to have those same experiences yourself, or to learn how to teach other people how to. As always, I've never had a problem with people's experiences themselves, it's just when they're put up for debate/discussion (or as advice, maybe) that there'd be a reason to criticize.

It's fair to say parallel processing sounds like switching in terms of unexplainable-ness, but.. well, it's not. Switching retains a hint of vagueness in the best of explanations, but it's still infinitely better documented than parallel processing in my experience. People say they experience parallel processing, people say they experience switching. People... write guides and offer explanations and tons of advice on switching, while people say "Just believe it's possible" for parallel processing, again in my experience. I actually don't read many guides so if there's been explanations there I've not seen them, but given that thread about maybe allowing the concept to be in guides in the first place, I don't imagine I've missed too much?

This isn't very chat-y though, seems on-topic enough to the actual thread, though I mostly meant for my post to be a one-off since I don't want to comment directly on the matter of guides, just quickly on the concept's history on the forum