Chat Thread

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ahh, new Good Tiger and new Good Tiger merch

[video=youtube]

webstore-image.jpg

Is pre-ordering bad when it's music, I wonder? Already bought anyway, record is limited to 500 and I'm a whore for exclusives. One more won't hurt, and I don't have anything in pink yet :')

I do, yes. I'm not of the opinion that they sound particularly better than digital masters, although they do have the nice vinyl grain which is interesting to hear, I just like collecting them. 

I have exclusives from several groups, and really enjoy when they're colored. Coheed and Cambria's Good Apollo I'm Burning Star IV, standard Bone and Blood release only had a couple thousand or so copies, Protest the Hero's Kezia print which was very exclusive, unique flower printed records, The Black Queen's Fever Daydream in white, of which I have one of only 250 in existence (The press sold out in about a minute and forty five seconds, I had to leave work and refresh several possible retailers for about an hour to catch one in its time-frame), etc.

I fucking love it, jeez, everything about it from the exclusivity to the sweet colors and designs on the sleeves gets me going. And I do actually listen to them, I'm not collecting to sell off later, although I'm probably doing a disservice in that regard, to some people.

My wallet is sad but It's fine, money comes and goes.

Digital music only sounds as good as the device you play it through. I assumed he was saying he preferred how his record player sounds to how his headphones/speakers/other sound.

I like my headphones... They were expensive.

Hi! I'm Lumi, host of Reisen, Tewi, Flandre and Lucilyn.

Everyone deserves to love and be loved. It's human nature.

My tulpas and I have a Q&A thread, which was the first (and largest) of its kind. Feel free to ask us about tulpamancy stuff there.

A record still only sounds as good as the speakers/headphones you listen to it with. There's a lot to be said about record player/setup too, when it comes to reducing noise and such.

Personally, when I buy vinyl, it is for the artwork, and or because I feel the particular album is well suited to vinyl. Plus, I'm the kind of person that really appreciates having the physical form of things, so if it's an album I love (and especially if it's nice to look at), it's nice to have the vinyl as well as the CD.

I have a few records framed on my walls. The artwork can make for great display.

Also, I almost never like colored vinyl. I find it kind of tacky. I think plain ol' black looks the best. I only own one colored record, and I didn't know it would be colored when I bought it. It was ~$10 on Amazon, so I went for it, and it turned out to be white. Oh well.

"If this can be avoided, it should. If it can't, then it would be better if it could be. If it happened and you're thinking back to it, try and think back further. Try not to avoid it with your mind. If any of this is possible, it may be helpful. If not, it won't be."

Lumi is totally right, and the bar on quality with a well-mastered digital file is only as high as your wallet is open. That being said, there have been cases in the past where a vinyl press has a different master than a digital release, and digital sounds infinitely worse in fairly strict standards, but that's really not even close to the norm, imho. I do actually play my vinyl through the same system that I listen to digital music through, which ends with a pair of Beyerdynamic Dt 880's. I could throw my preamp (Focusrite Isa One) into the mix, which uses analogue hardware and would color the sound just a teeny tiny bit, and that'd land me with an effective $750 system, headphones costing me $250 when I bought em. But the preamp isn't really made for that kinda listening, it's more for vocals. Would get it loud, at least.

And then I've run it through our living-room system, which is effectively 4 grand or so in pretty nice concert speakers, and that also sounds great. But yeah. I mean, there really is a natural charm to vinyl, but it's seriously just preference.

I can appreciate straight black Vinyl, just, idk, I'd also kinda like to get the records themselves put up on the wall in some kind of displays soon, alongside the sleeves. I'm pretty non-conventional about what I tack up anyway, so it'd just add a bit of charm to my already weird room.

What kinda headphones did you get, Lumi?

inb4 ath-m50

Sennheiser 558s, a long time ago. The padding is starting to tear recently, I could probably do with new headphones that are less cumbersome. This thing's got like a 9 foot cable for some reason, which I've gotten used to over the years, but I wonder if it's not possible to get wireless headphones with the same quality yet. Is it? I don't keep up with technology when it comes to this stuff, I just bought what my friends who know these things suggested for my price range.

You capitalized Vinyl that last time.

Hi! I'm Lumi, host of Reisen, Tewi, Flandre and Lucilyn.

Everyone deserves to love and be loved. It's human nature.

My tulpas and I have a Q&A thread, which was the first (and largest) of its kind. Feel free to ask us about tulpamancy stuff there.

Analog headphones actually have some known reproduction difficulties. A digital system should in theory send the raw pcm data directly to your headphone. Then, if I was cheap, I'd put standard analog technology between the radio/decoder and the headphone drivers.

Host comments in italics. Tulpa's log. Tulpa's guide.