Chat Thread

Guest Anonymous

My dear person. Poptarts are glorious sugary sweet goodiness and yumminess. Some of them even have splarkly candy bits of sugary happy colored sugariness on top on the frosting. Others are fudge, some are berry flavors. They are all super duper good.

My host and I like pop tarts a lot.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone else do shit with midi devices? I've got a keyboard, and am in the market for a decent sustain pedal. I mean, anything will probably do, just wondering what's what.

Yeah, anyway, have an mpk2 from Akai. Kind of regret not saving up an extra hundred for the 61-key variant (Have the 49 so it's only an octave or whatever, but eh), but I'll probably skip 61 keys in general, and when I'm actually becoming proficient with playing piano stuff, opt for a larger, 88 key model. 49's good for portability I guess

Do need a better stand, though.

Idunno, just going on. What does everyone else play? I also know about three years of half-paying-attention french-horn from Band in school, but that's questionable by now. Piano's a blast, even if I suck so far.

But you never actually produce anything dude. Or at least never publish it.

git gud

I would very desperately prefer to spend the next two to three years learning theory and how to play well than pushing out music for the heck of it, or whatever.

I've personally known about four musicians to do literally that and I cringe, they're very bad.

Not really looking for anything other than self-satisfaction either, so whatever. I honestly feel giddy just using my gear for fucking around, or voice-chatting. Not that it isn't comparatively cheap, anyway, but still, using decent stuff feels nice no matter what you use it on.

Also I do still help bruh record guitar, so at least it's all getting some kind of useful mileage.

I would very desperately prefer to spend the next two to three years learning theory and how to play well than pushing out music for the heck of it, or whatever.

I've personally known about four musicians to do literally that and I cringe, they're very bad.

Man I feel like a lot of people have these types in their social circle, like that one asshole that's like "listen to my new song or whatever" and at first you're like cool, cause theyre you're buddy, but then as time goes on you truly stop giving a fuck. At first I kinda just said I listened to them and gave vague feedback, then I saved the links and said I'd watch later, and now that dork knows not to bother me with his self pitying shitmusic cause I don't care.

So yeah grats on not being that dude.

We're all gonna make it brah.

I have been directed to this subreddit https://www.reddit.com/r/tulpasgonewild

I'm not sure how to feel

Edit: The heck Stevie 27 hours and you decide to post 1 minute before me what the heck

Hi, I'm one of Lumi's tulpas! I like rain and dancing and dancing in the rain and if there's frogs there too that's bonus points.

I think being happy and having fun makes life worth living, so spreading happiness is my number one goal!

Talk to us? https://community.tulpa.info/thread-ask-lumi-s-tulpas

Man I feel like a lot of people have these types in their social circle, like that one asshole that's like "listen to my new song or whatever" and at first you're like cool, cause theyre you're buddy, but then as time goes on you truly stop giving a fuck. At first I kinda just said I listened to them and gave vague feedback, then I saved the links and said I'd watch later, and now that dork knows not to bother me with his self pitying shitmusic cause I don't care.

So yeah grats on not being that dude.

Ha. I'll usually have to say something like "It's not my kind of music so I can't really critique" because the alternative is telling them it sucks super hard. I mean, okay, sometimes it's just average, like this one guy I knew made House or whatever, and literally had a template set to open with his music software that was just, 4/4 kick and clap, same tempo, and it was generally pretty boring. I think he stopped doing that eventually, but still, come on man.

Then there are those who just, yeah, not even in key, or really bad sounds.

Lucilyn, I was expecting something like bad re-tellings in text format of people and their "sexy" escapades, but that was much better.

7/10

literally had a template set to open with his music software that was just, 4/4 kick and clap, same tempo

That description is like,

. Makes you wonder how they were able to get out of the "check out my track pls" stage without ever really changing their sound.

Yeah man, better learn theory first. But actually do it. I'm sure you can do better than that.

Then you run into the problem of trying to learn music theory without actually knowing anything about playing music.

I've been playing electric guitar for almost 8 years now, acoustic for almost 1, piano for 3 and we just recently got a violin for Zaya. I've also studied music theory in passing for the past 2 or 3 years, learning all I can about theory in general and theory specifically having to do with my instruments of choice (all of which I'm proficient at and practice almost daily, mind you).

The problem with what you're proposing is that those "guys who just crank out crap" aren't bad because they don't know theory. Trust me, taking actual paid courses on the subject, I can tell you, 95% of the people who try and learn theory are still complete sh!t at whatever instrument they play and the music they compose is still complete sh!t.

Don't take my word for it, take an example from a personal idol of mine, Tosin Abasi. I've learned like every song he's ever produced just to glean what information from it I can, because its that good.

Did he take music theory classes? Yeah, but when? After he already got good enough to be on stage, and get offered a solo record deal.

Music is heavily subjective, similar to Tulpamancy. There's no such thing as one simple method to making good music, and music theory is not The magical thing a lot of people like to think it is. To be quite honest, if you know how to play an instrument, a lot of the more basic stuff is just common sense.

Did I say I wasn't playing? Not sure I did. I can't just start playing crazy stuff on the piano without knowing how it works though, so uh, I mean, yeah. I'm solely referring to like, putting music on YouTube or Soundcloud like everyone seems to be doing these days, right off the bat.

A personal idol of my own, Misha Mansoor (I'm sure you're familiar with him if you're familiar with Tosin), knows almost no theory himself, but is still proficient with things like producing, and general composition. So I'm aware that knowing theory isn't everything, but especially in the realm of electronic music, where all of my really bad friends are, not knowing how to efficiently branch out into more complicated types of composition, and instead sticking with "safe", generic stuff, is definitely more of a theory thing than anything, I'd say. People like Misha, after having played one instrument or another for so many years, are oddly just much more apt to understanding things like the piano without practicing as someone who's not already musically inclined. Which I am not.

Like my brother, kind of. He's been playing the guitar for, idunno, ten years? He's relatively technical, capable of some Periphery-tier stuff at best. Motherfucker, after a couple weeks of me learning scales and form at most, sits down, and within an hour or so, has reconstructed like, half of a song he wrote's lead-guitar, in-key, with chords and everything.

But whatever, since I don't have that baseline, can't really play any other instruments, and there's almost no critique to be had from actually posting whatever spawn of hell I could release online at my current proficiency (A common reason for posting online early-on, but I know how few actually comments people get), I kinda just think sitting down and actually learning how to play is best.

I mean, what would you advise? I'm open to suggestions.