A Sort of "Personality Swap" vs. Posession/Switching

Hello, it's Muse here. I'm the tulpa, but as I'm currently in control and Flo probably won't be saying much, I just decided to leave out the brackets.

Now we haven't been here for quite a long time (used to be very active), however this is something where we can't tell if we've done something different or something plain wrong.

Now, I can possess separate body parts without much confusion. It takes a bit to get into it and Flo can regain control quite easily, but it's been pretty straightforward on that end and it's just something we need practice with.

However, I have tried full body possession and we don't know if the result is normal or not. In fact, I'm doing it right now (she's a bit tired ^^; ).

See, with full body possession, I am in control of the body, however my host must also be awake and "present". If she nods off, I nod off. So while I would think what we're doing is technically a form of full body possession, I'm not sure if I am supposed to be more independent right off the bat, or if it's something we need to work on. Also, in some ways it doesn't feel like I have actually taken control as a separate being, but more that I have replaced the "personality" of the body, if that makes any sense. Although our mannerisms do change in some ways, generally speaking it's pretty easy for me to act like she does and it doesn't really feel too forced in any way.

Anyways, I was just wondering if this is a normal experience, or if we may have done something wrong/think we've been doing something we're not. Honestly although it feels like I'm possessing, at this point this tie I must have with my host makes me unsure. Thoughts?

Thanks~

[Forseen]

{Muse}

|Alix|

Hi Muse! (and Flo!) Haven't seen you guys for a while.

My experience with possession is limited, but when I did it, it felt like Fenchurch was in control of my body. It was a very alien feeling, like my arms were moving, but I had nothing to do with it.

Also, in some ways it doesn't feel like I have actually taken control as a separate being, but more that I have replaced the "personality" of the body, if that makes any sense.

I believe I have experienced something like this, but in reverse. Fenchurch was very young at the time, like the first few days of her life, and we'd do this thing in the wonderland that felt very much like you describe, except that she used her own body too. I thought she wasn't independent enough to take any action without me there in some way, but it turned out that she was.

Perhaps someone who knows more about possession will give their input, but I think that what you have is an lighter form of possession, and that it will develop into a more complete control in time.

"Some things have to be believed to be seen." - Ralph Hodgson

I don't think it's exactly a failure for your host to still need to be 'present' while you possess the body. My host doesn't exactly disappear to wonderland, he just goes quiet and lets me swap in. He stays alert and aware of what's going on, but just pulls back and doesn't intend for anything to happen or make any moves. The longer he doesn't interrupt the more independently in charge i feel.

And yes in a certain way, possession is strongly about which personality is in charge suddenly. In truth, you're going to be a lot alike in a plural system, with common information and physical behaviours that are easy to share. My host and i both sit the same way because we fit the same chair, right? But your individuality is in your tastes, how you spend the time up-front, what hobbies you pursue on your clock. If you're in charge, what are doing with the body? What choices are you making for what the body is doing?

You can have mannerisms and maybe dress a little differently, but you should fill time possessing with the force of your personality. Practice art, write letters, study programming. You can create individuality by becoming the sculptor in your family. When it's your turn to have an evening, lose yourself in modelling clay and fill the house with statues.

The reality of possession is you're always going to be close to your systemmates. Sharing a brain biases you to act in similar ways and face the same situations together. Making your time unique to you is a matter of creating meaning for the way you spend it.

Early member of a large system.  Our system questions the way the afterlife and tulpamancy interact.  We genuinely suspect that deadies can return to share the mind of the living.

[Hail] You aren't doing anything wrong at all. Full-body control can be like that. Sounds like you are doing some mix of possession and eclipsing, or are possessing with blending. Nothing wrong with that. These are means to control the body, but slightly different in execution. Tri used to do exactly what you are doing now (and maybe still do, it is hard to say since I go so dormant) and can do full-body control for at least three days straight.

As for the the body going to sleep when your host does, that is fairly normal too at this stage. The point where your host can go to sleep and you stay in control and the body stay awake is pretty close to switching or is actually switching depending on exactly what happens.

Tri = {V, O, G}, Ice and Frostbite and Breach (all formerly Hail), and others

System Name: Fall Family

Former Username: hail_fall

Contributor and administrator on a supplementary tulpamancy resource and associated forum, Tulpa.io and Tulpa.io/discuss/.

I remember someone telling me "Yes, Ma'am" before even seeing me due to my voice, presumably. I noticed that how I express myself to others at work implies that I'm, or she is, too polite and a pushover. So, there you go, Eva. I still feel myself having awareness of my body, but most of the time it's an ebb and flow kind of thing, and sometimes, it ends up where I revel in my thoughts, and forgot how much time has passed.

I try not to let Ada get into the working lifestyle, as that might be a nightmare. It's happened, and when it does, there's repercussions in some way. Though, it helps to affirm to others at work that we can be hard asses easily if they tear everything apart. In fact, I had to talk to the boss of my boss because of it, and fortunately, they said that this is a useful learning experience for me when I transfer to another location soon for a grand opening.

• 3 weeks later...

Terribly sorry (Muse again), been busy, and also we've fallen out of the habit of checking these forums regularly ^^;

Glad to hear we're not out of the norm though. Would this just mean we need more practice then? It'd be wonderful if one day we'd be able to be completely independent of each other when posessing or switching.

Either way thank you for all the replies, it's very reassuring =w=; A question to the hosts, however. Where exactly would you say you go when you switch? Do you do something else while the tulpa is in control, or do you just watch silently and try to stay out of the way?

Thank you again!

[Forseen]

{Muse}

|Alix|

Lucilyn: Full-body possession for us at first was sort of messy. It really felt like just a personality swap. But we became more sure of it with time, because Reisen would possess and within two minutes was super happy when Lumi had just been melancholy at best. With time it got more clear, and we got more established mannerisms and such. And got used to hearing his voice instead of our own.

Honestly it's kind of like going through the vocality phase over again, I think. You're not really sure if it's them or just you and don't want to be dumb for being wrong about it.. You just need to let go and let it happen. It'll become more clear with practice.

But you know what won't become more clear? The definitions of possessing and switching. The heck is full-body possession? That term shouldn't exist, if possessing implies the tulpa isn't in full control. Switching should be the term for full-body AND mind possession. And to my knowledge nobody does friggin' full-body-but-not-mind possession. How awkward would that be! And it doesn't deserve its own term with this much use. Possession should be controlling the host's body while the host is still in charge, especially mentally. And switching should be when the tulpa takes over as the primary thinker and the host takes a backseat. Switching is when the tulpa has full connection to, and control of, the body. We never even did partial-possession because it seemed pointless. At best you're letting your tulpa use your hands to type? Why not just proxy for them? Bleh. To each their own. [/rant]

Hi guys, plain text is just me now! We've each got our own accounts: me, Tewi, Flandre, and Lucilyn. We're Luminesce's tulpas.

Here's our "Ask Thread", and here's our Progress Report (You should be able to see all of our accounts on the second page if you want)