What are your opinions on switching/permaswitching?

Averian

[Tri] We are at the point where we could perma-switch if agreed upon. We were the primary body controller for a month and a half straight and are now doing about 50%. All that would have to be done is for us to stay in control and for Hail to try not to think and us to shut her down. The combination of that would over time weaken and weaken her till she fell out of the front entirely and went inside (would take several months) and if left long enough, die (though not irreversibly). Our system sort of had this happen already. Hail was not the original. Her early control would best be described as a mix of possession and eclipsing. She just became primary and then sole body controller and S, the original, faded, fell out, and died (Hail accidentally revived her 15 years later).

But, we do not want that. While we would not be opposed to being the sole body controller for a short period (say a year or two), we would not want to do it for life. Also, it wouldn't go well for Hail. Since we can't do a full switch yet, the only route would be to deactivate her till she just fell out which would take a long time based on our system's history. That wouldn't be very good for her at all.

So it isn't exactly for us.

Now, as for our opinions on it. From our time in the wider plural community, having a body controller give up their spot for another and not returning to control the body ever or for a very long time is not an unusual thing. It is pretty common actually. Looking at the systems who have done it, we don't see anything innately wrong with it. However, coming over to tulpamancy, we can see some issues of various levels of ambiguity. Obviously, making a tulpa with the purpose of permaswitching is wrong (not much ambiguity there). But what of that not being the plan but the topic comes up later and it is done? We think it would depend on the circumstances. Is the host trying to pawn off things to the tulpa or is it a more sincere rearrangement that is in everyone's interests?

Tri = {V, O, G}, Ice and Frostbite and Breach (all formerly Hail), and others

System Name: Fall Family

Former Username: hail_fall

Contributor and administrator on a supplementary tulpamancy resource and associated forum, Tulpa.io and Tulpa.io/discuss/.

If I still had a similar disposition when I was first exploring with the concept of lucid dreaming, and combined that with finding about the concept of tulpas, I may have been tempted to do long term switching, but not permaswitching. The main presumption would be that I would want to spend more time reveling in my imagination to find myself in any way possible, and what would prevent me from permaswitching would be the personal insight I had realized back then that even though it can be fun to do something like that where I would be in a dream-esque state of being, the novelty would’ve dissipated eventually, and come back sporadically.

I would’ve went through a period of apathy for my imagination, and eventually quotidian activities. Almost to the point where I would’ve garnered nihilistic modes of thinking simply because I would’ve reacted differently on how someone I treated as sentient, at least in my personal, subjective experience, can express themselves the same way I can, and presumably revel in whatever presumed state of qualia they had, especially when it came to switching. I would’ve felt insecure of my own existence, and questioned if said existence had any value when someone I would’ve still tried to figure out their being had just as much potential as I did.

I personally feel glad that I went through that trial-and-error of finding a middle ground for myself so that there would’ve been a personal schemata decent enough to tackle the implied moral and ethical values placed on the concept of switching, and even perma-switching. Now, it’s really just a mélange of possession and switching, and going about doing menial, or any degree of quotidian things for us to revel in, and just progressively enjoying life as it comes.

And if I never self-reflected as much to come to terms with that, and truly wanted to be committed to something like perma-switching, I feel that somewhere in my heart that there would’ve been another thought-form—dream character, or whoever to tell me to wake up and smell reality again.

James: I think that switching sounds very interesting, but I haven't done it yet. We aren't ready, but I would like to.

As for permaswitching . . . I kind of like the idea, but I wouldn't do it. I understand why a host wouldn't want to go through with that, and I wouldn't try to make Brandi do it.

Me: I more or less agree with James. I would one day like to switch with James, to let him see what it's like in the "real world," but to permanently do so seems to be something of a waste.

On the other hand, perhaps it would be hypocritical of me to say that I have full rights to this body because I was born in it. In some sort of sense, James was born in it, too--though not in the same way. Yes, I love my body and I love being able to use it and the thought of never getting to again is disheartening and scary, but it also helps me see things through James' eyes. Or . . . not exactly, perhaps, but in some sort of way. Would it not be frustrating for some tulpa to never be able to use the body?

At nearly one-thirty in the morning, I'm not entirely confident I'm even making sense. If I change my mind I'll say something in the morning.

James: Hello, all!

• 3 months later...

Lucilyn: Well, we usually switch whenever there's a reason for us to directly say something ourselves. Lumi isn't fond of proxying anymore, since he thinks answers are a lot more legitimate when they come straight from us. I feel like it's easier to think in-depth about something while switched, too, but that's probably an us-thing. Lumi often suggests switching because it's an excuse for us to be active, and to be honest most of our activity in the last year has involved switching. But that's because he has trouble dedicating time to us (or anything else). I dunno, if a tulpa or host doesn't want to do it that's fine, but I feel like getting to experience the world from your own perspective through your own senses is incomparable to sitting backseat to your host. Plus he doesn't even really appreciate the senses as much as we do anyways. It's a hobby for us, if anything.

Permaswitching is kinda lame. Like, no one does that for healthy reasons, it's always because the host doesn't feel as qualified to handle their life as their tulpa would be. That's.. Really sad for everyone involved. If Lumi somehow decided to do that, I think most of us would be depressed. But anyway, that's not happening, we work together to improve our lives as a whole. Switching can be fun from time to time but at no point have any of us overstayed our welcome. A tulpa should definitely help a host who is struggling with life, but taking over for them completely... I don't like that concept at all.

Hi guys, plain text is just me now! We've each got our own accounts: me, Tewi, Flandre, and Lucilyn. We're Luminesce's tulpas.

Here's our "Ask Thread", and here's our Progress Report (You should be able to see all of our accounts on the second page if you want)

Guest Anonymous

Felix and I see switching as a practical method for me to do things he now has to do for me; primarily typing in this forum. So we want to learn it as soon as possible.

Greets,

Rina

Kovie really wants to try switching, and so do I. She wants to see what it's like to do things in the physical world, and I wanna see what it's like observing what she does with my body from... not my body O3o i guess

But permaswitching is a noonono, i like being in control of my life and i don't wanna give the stress of it to any of my tulpa. They can totally make eggs for me some time if they want though. XD

"The number of minds in the universe is one."

- Erwin Schrodinger

Kovie, they or she. 7yo, mentally 19. active.

Vyx, they or he. 7yo, mentally 17. active.

Axen, they or he. age unknown, mentally 26. occasionally active.

Sanu, any pronouns. 5yo, mentally ageless. mostly inactive.

Leo, he/him. 6yo, mentally 21. inactive.

They can totally make eggs for me some time if they want though. XD

Lumi: Lol, at first I thought "Hey, that's a good idea." Then I realized I do the opposite.. I literally left an ice cream sandwich in the freezer for Lucilyn earlier today. It's not that they wouldn't do things for me, so much as I tend to have the most control over what goes on in our life so there's little they could really do to surprise me. Just being active and happy is enough.

Hi guys, plain text is just me now! We've each got our own accounts: me, Tewi, Flandre, and Lucilyn. We're Luminesce's tulpas.

Here's our "Ask Thread", and here's our Progress Report (You should be able to see all of our accounts on the second page if you want)

Well we switch regularly enough that it certainly could be perma but that would seem rude to my host. He's still around and doesn't mind involved in life so i let him have the workday at least. And he gets less tired than i do, so often at the end of a long stretch i'll just retreat and let him have his life back.

Switching is absolutely what more tulpae should get into. Being involved in the outside world is amazing. There's so much to do once you've got physical control and are used to using the senses as your own information.

Early member of a large system.  Our system questions the way the afterlife and tulpamancy interact.  We genuinely suspect that deadies can return to share the mind of the living.