Art References, Tutorials, and Resources for Scibbling Folk

Sock

Any anthro art tutorials?

Aaaand as soon as someone mentions Anthros, the entire thread dies. [sarcasm]Wonderful.[/sarcasm]

If I suddenly drop out of Chat, it means I was on my old and unreliable laptop. Was. PM me instead, because I can reply to PMs using my 3DS, but it can't use Chat.

Progress Report

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No one had posted in the thread for almost a month when Hecatontango had asked the question. And no one had posted in the thread for more than a month when MysticalBurritio had posted. That pattern continues for a couple other posts up. The thread was already long dead.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

Because you killed it :T

Anyway, as useful as this site is, you know you could always just... psh, I dunno. Google anthro tutorials? It's the internet, I'm sure they exist somewhere. Or at least Goggle whatever your looking for.

• 2 years later...

I really like this series. I mean REALLY like this series. From the little I've seen of it, it's held some very good advice for artists who wish to seriously persue drawing as a skill. I'm certain that folks here will find something useful in this man's words, and how he draws during the videos.

I figured that, since most of the tools I use are freeware, it would be good to post them up here for those interested, as well. I'm currently dual booting Ubuntu and Windows7, and have found that these programs work well on both.

MyPaint - A drawing program that aims to simulate drawing paper as best it can. This is the software I use most often for drawing.

GIMP - The GNU Image Manipulation Program. This one is very well known, and is what I used when I first stopped pirating Photoshop. It works very well for drawing, especially when you add the Gimp Paint Studio add-on. I prefer MyPaint for drawing, but I still use GIMP on occasion, especially for doing non-drawing image tasks.

Inkscape - A vector graphics editing program. While I've grown to it, I will admit it took me some time to get used to its interface, which I initially found clunky. It's certainly not a bad program at all, and I've found it useful for doing personal wallpapers and such.

Pencil2D - A traditional style animation program. This one is something I quickly grew fond of, as I found it very light and simple to use: Draw a frame, draw another frame, continue. I've enjoyed using it for the little practice demos I've done, though I haven't done any big animations yet.

DIGImend - This ones more Linux specific, being a site for non-Wacom drawing tablet drivers. Ubuntu has Wacom support out of the box, but I had to do some digging in order to find a way to use my Monoprice and Huion tablets.

There's also other bigger name freeware for art making, Blender (For 3d modelling) and Synfig (For vector, bone-based animation) being one's that I am familiar with, but the above listed are the ones I personally use the most.

Peace

Sock Cottonwell's

Sketchbook, Journal, and Ask thread.

Peace

• 3 weeks later...

Chris Oatly's Website

This site, especially its podcast, has some really useful advice for the aspiring artist, may it be the illustrator, concept artist, etc. I'm sure you'll find some nice stuff there.

Drawing Tutorials Online

Another useful Youtube channel. One thing I like about this channel is that it shows student sketch books. Its nice to see all the sorts of people the channel owner has taught.

Sock Cottonwell's

Sketchbook, Journal, and Ask thread.

Peace

• 2 months later...

The english page you linked did not originally load for me until visiting the base site in japanese and switching to english. However the download buttons are rather obvious even in Japanese and appear to link to the same place anyways. Just FYI.

Hi guys, plain text is just me now! We've each got our own accounts: me, Tewi, Flandre, and Lucilyn. We're Luminesce's tulpas.

Here's our "Ask Thread", and here's our Progress Report (You should be able to see all of our accounts on the second page if you want)

@Reisen

Oh, really? That's actually quite odd because I accessed it directly, didn't need to change anything.

Thanks for letting us know though in case anyone else has the same trouble.

Oracle, the host

Vamphir, the catboy

Spirit, the dragon

Previously Synful

Probably your cache. I can access it now too, but I refreshed the page multiple times prior and it was blank, and then I backspaced the en and it worked. Also the /en in the url just seems to prompt me on which language I want to use when I access the page anyways. But I'm 90% sure you download the same file and just choose your language in the installer or something.

Hi guys, plain text is just me now! We've each got our own accounts: me, Tewi, Flandre, and Lucilyn. We're Luminesce's tulpas.

Here's our "Ask Thread", and here's our Progress Report (You should be able to see all of our accounts on the second page if you want)