Recommended Tulpa Media

sushi

I know, we have this thread, but that's a collection of everything that has anything tulpa-related in it, no matter the quality or the quantity. Who wants to dig through a few hundred pages for a handful of stories that might be good?

This thread is for the good stuff -- stuff where tulpas (or daemons, soulbonds, headmates, or whatever) play a major part in the story, and where the story is good. Recommend books, comics, films, TV shows, games, or whatever kind of media you can think of. Keep it to entertainment though -- we can stick instructional books somewhere else.

Harvey (play or film)

Harvey is essentially a story about a friendly and charming man named Elwood who has a tulpa (a very tall anthropomorphic rabbit named Harvey) and isn't afraid to tell people about it. Elwood's sister, Veta, and her daughter, Myrtle Mae, are trying to make a name for themselves in high society, but things are always ruined when Elwood comes home and starts introducing their guests to Harvey. There doesn't seem to be anything they can do about it because the house belongs to Elwood, but then Veta concocts a plan to get her brother committed to a sanitarium.

Harvey is a wonderful comedy with some very touching moments. It was originally written as a play, but there's also a very good film adaptation made in 1950 and starring James Stewart which you can pay to watch on youtube and a few made for TV film adaptations, one of which also starred James Stewart (1972) and which you can watch on youtube for free (though I feel that the 1950 version is the better one).

The Thursday Next series by Jasper Fforde (books)

Thursday Next lives in an alternate universe where reading is taken much more seriously. She works for a special branch of the British government that polices books (though occasionally she moonlights in other branches, like the one that slays vampires, the one that handles genetically modified monsters, and the one that polices time travel). Her work usually involves things like shutting down Shakespeare counterfeiters, and recovering stolen first editions, but then somebody uses her mad scientist uncle's invention to kidnap the titular protagonist of the classic Jane Eyre.

As the series progresses, Thursday learns to travel inside books, and more and more of her work takes place there, among the fictional characters -- but there's an even stronger tulpa connection involving her daughter in one of the later books. I won't give too much away, but I recommend the entire series. It blends elements of science fiction, fantasy, mystery, and comedy in a very unique story that works surprisingly well.

Well those are a couple of my favorites. What do you recommend?

"Some things have to be believed to be seen." - Ralph Hodgson