Are there outside literary sources that describe something like switching?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Where did the concept of switching originate? There is no mention of it in Alexandra David Neel's book, nor in any of the books I have on thoughtforms.

The closest thing I can think is that it is synonymous with "fronting" from the natural multiples community. But even there, the dorment (nonfronting) personality doesn't necessarily have a big wonderland to run around in. Do the hosts really become tulpa like and experience the wonderland just as a tulpa would?

I will be honest, the whole idea of this is pretty fantastic to me. If I switched with Melian I would be doing things like fighting in the vanguard of Queen Elizabeth I's Renaissance-steampunk army against the evil dark orc hordes of the North. I would be in real danger of being cut down and eaten as well. I could just hang out in her dreamscape mansion, WHICH IS HAUNTED and has ghouls in it. Well to be honest, there are safe rooms, including a magic feast hall. The Roman bath or movie theater wouldn't be so bad either.

Really, Melian is not a second personality that needs to "front," "possess" or "switch." She is a day dream star persona that lives within my mind. Her interaction with the outside world is limited. She doesn't even identify at all with my body. She has no desire to live in it. NONE.

People were wondering about my term "dreamform" and saying it is no different from a tulpa or wondering how it is different. THIS is how it is different. A dreamform lives almost exclusively within the mind with limited contact or no contact with the outside world through the hosts senses. Melian is aware of the outside world, but it is not emphasized by her. She lives her life within the wonderland dream realm and not the real world.

I honestly don't know how people are doing the switching with their tulpa. Their relationship to the tulpa and the wonderland is significantly different from my experiences with Melian. So it makes me wonder about switching and where the idea originated and if there are any literary sources outside the tulpa community that describe such a thing.

As far as I know, this is something the early members of the tulpa community learned by doing.

I agree that it was probably never part of the Tibetan tradition, which always treats the tulpa as something external to the creator. Even yidams were treated as something external, even if the understanding was that they were not.

I can give you a number of references on possession, but they're all talking about possession by something supernatural, not possession by a thoughtform.

And of course switching and possession does not define tulpas of our community any more than imposition and wonderlands does. Not everybody does all of these -- some tulpas don't do any.

"Some things have to be believed to be seen." - Ralph Hodgson

Guest Anonymous

And of course switching and possession does not define tulpas of our community any more than imposition and wonderlands does. Not everybody does all of these -- some tulpas don't do any.

Okay, I admit I have experienced things that might be in the realm of possession possibly. These I have discussed in other posts and in the podcasts with jean-luc. They were always brief experiences. When Melian does her typing or art, we describe this as a form of blending or collaboration, sort of a halfway possession or possession lite. (Note: I still consider this a product of my imagination only)

Actually, switching is synonymous with fronting in the multiple community at large. I have seen it used regularly by the DID community, even those that have never heard of Tulpas. I suspect that some of the original tulpamancers stumbled across the idea and decided to create a conscious version, because it is largely uncontrolled in other systems.

As for the wonderland, there are differences among systems, but most seem to have three "worlds" - the "outer world" (Real life experienced through the physical body), "Headspace" (where system members can interact with the one/s fronting but aren't fronting themselves), and the "inner world" (where there is no contact with the headspace or outer world, though sometimes the headspace can view the inner world). The "inner world" is often a completely separate world, and sometimes system members don't even know they are a part of a system within that world. I have a friend who's alters live in an alternate version of Earth in their inner world, complete with other peoples and cultures. I hope this clears up a few things, since there is little communication between the Tulpa community and other systems. -Aura

Current System: Ziya (Formerly Einulf), Mizan, Aura, Dark, Lucia, Rand, Jason, Akira

Here's our Tumblr, if anyone wants it

Guest Anonymous

@Einulf

Thanks! That is fascinating! I am learning so much more by expanding and broadening my research to include many types of headmate systems. The complexity of some of these systems is stunning to me! I am constantly amazed by what people are describing.

Compared to some of these systems, I am a simpleton clod! The way I view Melian is actually very simple:

I have vivid and elaborate day dreams. She is the star in those day dreams. She seems really super real and I imagine her talking to me and interacting with others on the internet.