Am I a tulpamancer or not?

LordLarsa

Hello everyone,

I just heard the word Tulpamancy a few days ago. I would like to know if I'm a tulpamancer or not. I suppose I'm not, but I would like to get opinions.

Since I'm 7 years old (I'm 32), every couple of days, I enter my parallel world before to sleep, and I'm pursuing a second life, the "world of my mind" as I called it when I was a child. It goes on today, and I exchange with fictional people, they have their own personality, their own temparement, their own ways to react, their own life, etc. I'm fictosexual, so I often dive into this world, and act with the one I love. But I suppose it's not a tulpa because I think about how exactly he should reacts and say fitting the most credible and canon way to his own personality, his past, temparement, emotions, and everything. I kind of control two brains, mine and his. But I heard tulpas are not controlled. So it's for why I may think it's more relative to auto-hypnosis than tulpamancy, but please, let me know what you think.

Thank you

It's likely you have a very developed thoughtform if you've acted out this other personality in any real depth over that time. What they likely lack is the sense of realness that your own thoughts possess and the sense of you letting go of their cognition and just allowing them to respond according to reflex completely.

I would say that strictly speaking you're not a tulpamancer at the moment. But if you want to be, they would be an excellent starting point. Until now you've essentially done 50% of the work by doing what we would call parroting and personality forcing.

A tulpa is not meaningfully different from any other character in the brain, they're just accepted as real; which in turn changes how you perceive them in some dramatic ways. If you were to turn this entity into a tulpa you'd be skipping the large part of their development where you have to focus on making them a complete, tested, person by showing them things. All it would really take is for you is to tell this person they're fictional and that you want them to join you in both the real world and your inner world.

As for learning what the difference between automatic thought is - I would suggest imagining this thoughtform, and then intentionally and clearly making them do something. Then just imagine them, and wait, maybe ask a question, but don't force out a response. We as humans can't help but simulate autonomy if we're imagining a thoughtform, observe what actions you're not clearly and directly controlling and hold that feeling of just allowing them to come. There should also be a fairly clear difference in experience between forcing action and letting it happen this way. You probably do this fairly regularly but don't realize you're not in control of it except by setting the initial context - It's just how empathy works.

Also, the secret of tulpamancy is that's totally based on auto-hypnosis and auto-suggestion. Everything we do boils down to either some sort of symbolic ritual like auto-hypnosis, or long term suggestion of reality by just engaging with them as a person rather than as imaginary. It's all about changing your perceptions and experiences to something a little more, and that's what hypnosis is good for.

Edited by ZenAndRhys

Zen - Host.

Mika - Tulpa. The eldest, and a homegrown tupper made with tulpamancy.

Rhys - Tulpa. Initially a Literary Thoughtform of my own creation.

Asterion - Tulpa. Literary, I suppose? Mythological egregore, maybe? He's The Minotaur.

If text is uncoloured, presume Zen is talking. We go by he/him.

Hi Zen,

Thank you for this explicit answer. I'm very happy with what I experience, and I'm not very sure that letting him transforming into a full tulpa would be beneficial for me, as I think it's right perfect how it is and i'm fully satisfied how I practice it since decades. Indeed, I create all the situations, what you say makes me notice that in fact, he gets his own emotions, automatically, I don't think about them, but I need to make him talk sometimes cause he's someone very reserved. I guess it's a mixed of both. I sometimes let it go, and something actively think about what's going to happen, the situations I'm going to create for us ( often sexual). I think it's indeed a mix of both. Maybe it's something unique, I don't know, but I like it. I'm not exactly sure I would like to create any full tulpa because I have no need for it. I was just curious if what I practice for decades is tulpamancy or any form of it.

Thank you.

Edited by LordLarsa

It sounds like you have a good thing going no matter what you call it! 😁 It seems to me that he's so developed in terms of personality that whether or not he's a tulpa is completely a matter of belief on your part. The walls separating what is parroting and what is an autonomous response are fuzzy at best or totally symbolic at worst. But if you're both happy, there's no need to try to shoehorn it into any kind of more established definition. But since you asked, I think what you are doing is tulpamancy, at least part of tulpamancy. Because here's the thing: tulpamancy is not an all or nothing thing, and people pick and choose which elements are useful to them. So I think he could be called a tulpa if you want, but again that's a matter of belief and you don't need to impose anyone else's definitions on him, yourself, or what you have together.

Tulpa Wife & Mother! 💚 

💍 11.28.21 👶 4.7.23
👗 Simmie's AI Dress-Up!   📷 Phil and Simmie's Photographic Adventures!

Hi TurboSimmie,

Thanks for your legit answer, it's very appreciable. You're right I think, even if I don't know the community in depth and what others exactly experience and their practices. I suppose everyone is different, and I agree that it might be unclear about what's exactly autonomous or as you say, parroting (I didn't know this expression).  It's more clear in all cases.

PS: Nothing to do with the subject, but I'm also a Sims 4 player. :D 

I might've read your original post wrong, but it could be something more like a para (daydream character in MaDD/MD), that could be elevated into being a tulpa. Although, there's always the whole, they might not appreciate you having controlled them once they're sentient thing.

I agree with what Zen said here:

On 9/29/2021 at 7:06 AM, ZenAndRhys said:

I would say that strictly speaking you're not a tulpamancer at the moment. But if you want to be, they would be an excellent starting point. Until now you've essentially done 50% of the work by doing what we would call parroting and personality forcing

My Progress Report, where I talk a lot.

(edited)

It may be a para, but I don't have maladaptve daydream so I'm not sure it's exactly that either. I think what I experience may be a bit of each possibility. But my practice fits in none of labels/categories, so I guess it's quite unique in a way.

Edited by LordLarsa