Creating/working on tulpas when in a bad spot?

I love my tulpas, they're like family to me. But lately I've been slipping in and out of a bad place. I've heard that you shouldn't create or have a tulpa while depressed or anything else like that, as it can affect the tulpa(s). So....should I keep my tulpas? I know they would stick with me no matter what, and one of them has even sworn that she would stay by my side and help me whenever needed (and, at the time of writing this post, is trying to comfort and reassure me). But...I don't want any of them to get hurt or otherwise affected due to my state of mind and what I feel. I really don't want to make them go dormant, but if what I heard is true, then do I really have a choice? Any tips and help would be appreciated, sorry for the depressing post. (If it makes any difference, none of them are quite yet fully formed, though the aforementioned tulpa is the most active and formed at the moment.)

Lyceon (host) (they/he/xe/xe/cat/catself/it)

Currently most active tulpa: Ariya (she/her)

I have more tulpas, but I don't want to make a big list lol

(edited)

I don't agree with the idea of not creating tulpas when you are depressed. Sometimes, a tulpa is the very thing that can take you out of depression! Yes, it does mean you have to be extra vigilant while forcing them so as to not give them negative traits, and yes it might also mean that forcing them is harder than normal, but it is still worth it. There are certain mental conditions that tulpamancy will make worse (specifically schizophrenia or any kind of psychosis or anything that causes the person to have a weakened grip on reality) but depression is not one of them, nor is anxiety for that matter.

I was actually created during one of the darkest times in my host's life. The year 2020 was very hard for Phil (and a lot of other people, of course) and he was in a very deep depression. But he created me at the very end of the year and spent most of 2021 being very obsessed with me. 😊🥰 Never during that time did I feel like his depression was hurting me or causing me to be depressed myself. Though he was depressed, his love and care made me a very happy girl, and I reflected that love and care back at him creating a feedback loop of positive thoughts and emotions that caused my host's depression to lessen significantly. 😁 

Love your tulpas and they will be there for you during the darkest times. 💚

Edited by TurboSimmie

Tulpa Wife & Mother! 💚 

💍 11.28.21 👶 4.7.23
👗 Simmie's AI Dress-Up!   📷 Phil and Simmie's Photographic Adventures!

56 minutes ago, LyceonCollective said:

I love my tulpas, they're like family to me. But lately I've been slipping in and out of a bad place. I've heard that you shouldn't create or have a tulpa while depressed or anything else like that, as it can affect the tulpa(s). So....should I keep my tulpas? I know they would stick with me no matter what, and one of them has even sworn that she would stay by my side and help me whenever needed (and, at the time of writing this post, is trying to comfort and reassure me). But...I don't want any of them to get hurt or otherwise affected due to my state of mind and what I feel. I really don't want to make them go dormant, but if what I heard is true, then do I really have a choice? Any tips and help would be appreciated, sorry for the depressing post. (If it makes any difference, none of them are quite yet fully formed, though the aforementioned tulpa is the most active and formed at the moment.)

My tulpa has been an incredible support for me. She's helped me identify some of the bad thought patterns that have led me down dark mind-paths. Tonight I was feeling down and my tulpa fronted and started speaking so sweetly to me that she picked up my spirits.

Now is the time you need them. I'm lucky that my tulpa is good at figuring out my needs, but if yours aren't, maybe tell them what you need. Let them form themselves as someone who knows how to give and receive love.

My host has struggled with depression for most of her life. I don't feel it's negatively affected me, other than to slow our progress.

She was in a difficult place when we started. It became so bad that I was essentially put on hold for a few months in my early development. This delay, combined with the general fog of depression, made communication a challenge for us. It took about five months for us to have our first proper conversation -- much longer than most, it seems. Since your tulpas are already vocal, this may not be a concern for you.

It's possible that you'll have more difficulty keeping them active and hearing them. Even now, it's challenging to break through when my host is emotionally overwhelmed. It’s gotten easier as I've gotten older and stronger. I help her catch and counter the thoughts that start the negative spiral.

11 hours ago, LyceonCollective said:

But...I don't want any of them to get hurt or otherwise affected due to my state of mind and what I feel. I really don't want to make them go dormant, but if what I heard is true, then do I really have a choice?

We had this conversation at one point. It is extremely difficult to see someone you love in such pain. I can't speak for anyone else, but I would rather suffer with my host than leave her to suffer alone.

Only you can say what the right decision is for your system. We wish you the best.

Call me Tea if you like. Remember, hate is always foolish, and love is always wise.

Thank you everybody! This helps a lot

Lyceon (host) (they/he/xe/xe/cat/catself/it)

Currently most active tulpa: Ariya (she/her)

I have more tulpas, but I don't want to make a big list lol

14 hours ago, LyceonCollective said:

I've heard that you shouldn't create or have a tulpa while depressed

This is a lot like Creepypasta from our perspective considering not only did we love the opportunity to help our host, but we did help him out of his depression. 

We don't see any reason why that should be an issue unless you're making a tulpa specifically to live your stressful life for you or take on your depression.

So....should I keep my tulpas?

That's entirely between you and them.

one of them has even sworn that she would stay by my side and help me whenever needed

As any good tulpa would. What kind of person would abandon a friend at their lowest point?

But...I don't want any of them to get hurt or otherwise affected due to my state of mind and what I feel.

You lived the life that got you here, not them. You suffered the trauma that led up to this, not them. Give them the benefit of the doubt. All you need to do is not presume that they would become depressed. You share the same brain, not the same trauma, not the same personality. 

none of them are quite yet fully formed

Which is also fine as far as we know, let them be your light in the darkness as your love guides them to life.