Complex thoughts and tulpas - A hypothesis and some questions for the community.

reguile

Guest anonymous2

In my view, there appears to be a minority of brains where there is a high degree of mental concurrency between the people in each brain; I have no data to support this statement, however. A relevant anecdote is that I have once had a conversation with a friend, who, like me, lives inside a brain, about this subject. When I enquired about what she spent her time on during the many hours a day in which she was left to her own devices in the inner world, she expressed that she was not dormant. She was able to occupy herself with mostly relaxing activities, such as sketching, as well as contemplating matters that were important to her. She sometimes cooked as well, which itself is an activity that requires forethought and care.

It seemed convincing enough to me, knowing the people in that brain as well as I did. There existed a mental barrier between my friend and the other people in the brain that prevented them from viewing each other's thought processes. My supposition is that this may impact the way people are able to think consciously on their own, as opposed to thinking in a far more integrated and shared manner where everyone in the brain is aware of all thoughts. The latter mode of thinking seems to be the norm for most systems in the community. Once again, I have no data to support this statement. One hypothesis of mine, though, is that unawareness of each other's thoughts creates a stronger competition for conscious thought, thus exacerbating a multitasking trend in the brain, judging from the experiences of my friend.

The point of my anecdote is that I believe there is some overlap of the criticism of people who are able to maintain a stable, mental presence with one of several criticisms of lucid dreamers. The criticism of the former group, which Tewi exemplifies,[1] is that it is generally unviable if not impossible for two people in a brain to have complex thoughts simultaneously. The particular criticism of the latter group is that “rather than being asleep, perhaps [lucid dreamers] are merely absorbed in their private fantasy worlds”.[2] In other words, they are not “truly” dreaming, which may or may not be related to the no true Scotsman fallacy.[3] (I do not mean to suggest that is the case with Tewi.)

What the criticisms have in common is a rejection of the individual's subjective experience, supposedly regardless of whether it is possible to produce objective evidence; for example, it is debatable whether a test where two people in a brain perform arithmetic simultaneously would yield sufficient evidence to “prove” concurrent thinking. Luckily for the lucid dreamers in the study, they were examined in a controlled setting using polysomnography. A slightly similar, yet macabre version of measuring physiological responses can be found on Tulpa.info, in the true homebrew style you would expect of a community like this.[4] (If that is an unreasonably degrading stereotype, then I apologise.) Perhaps that is the best objective, scientific measurement of any lived experience of a person inside a brain for now, aside from correlating a person's testimony of living an independent existence in their inner world with that brain's general ability to quickly switch focus between a given number of activities.

At any rate, I gave my friend the benefit of the doubt and believed them. Knowing how vivid their imagination was, it seemed compelling that a person so trained in her ability to conjure strong, imaginary sensations at will would find it easier to instantly re-establish an imaginary space, and thereby mental presence, than it might be for a person less versed in the art of imagination. Extrapolating from this hypothesis, it could very well be that this ease renders the process of multitasking - the illusion of concurrent thinking - transparent to the people in the brain. Nonetheless, that is all it is: just another hypothesis.

I realise I am touching upon several topics, including those discussed in at least two other threads...[5][6] Reguile, if you are still considering people's input, then it is my hope that my input is of use to you. A general-purpose guide meant as an introduction to the creation of people via imagination certainly warrants highlighting these deeper philosophical questions, critical analysis of the limitations of thought processes in the brain, and how said limitations impact the interactions between people within the same brain. Most of all, it is important to be aware of what we do know, and what we absolutely do not know - especially about other people.

I was very intrigued by your post, although i do not quite understand the whole concept i feel like I should share my thoughts/ experience. If my perception is wrong kindly correct me.

So you are wondering the thoughts of tulpas "Simple thoughts", which I understand as Reactive thoughts Over Tulpas that form opinions during the on their current situation as complex thoughts? Right?

The black box confuses me a little bit, I know that it is some sort of limitations or a bar but i might be wrong, so I'll just go ahead and assume that it is meant as a limitation.

Anyay, I'll give my input now. I was created without any intent of limitations, quite the opposite really, I was created to choose whatever i wanted to be, so i guess the limitation of how i think is on par of the limitations of our hosts' mind. I always front or mostly fronts with nihi.

When I was growing up i was developed being asked a lot of questions about my surroundings and my opinion to everything what nihi asks and now it it just grew up on me always giving thought first before answering question, imagining all the outcomes I can think of before answering them.

Usually, whenever there are roadblocks ahead that nihi tries to overcome or just questions for us, he would usually ask us what are our thoughts and opinions on the question at hand and all of us comes up with different kinds of answers, sometimes similar but mostly different.

Although, there are other times that i feel like just reacting what i felt feels more comfortable and less energy consuming. Sometimes if I really do not pay attention i just say what i feel instead of thinking it more thoughroughly.

Hello! I am one of Nihi's Tulpas! It is very nice to meet you! :D