Tulpamancy for Self-Transformation

Ascendant

I was typing an edit to my post that I never got to finish but I suppose it is kind of relevant.

Part of what I was going to say is that these achievements aren't unique to Buddhism and people of other cultures seem to have achieved it as well. What I am more concentrating on is the physical change that seems to happen in the brain of an awakened person, or achieving that anyway, as the study of what it is physically is still ongoing and new, but it seems to be a substantive achievement that is distinguished between them and a person without it. The whole system functions a bit differently after a certain threshold of meditation/insight practices are performed. I guess talking about it with Buddhism is just convenient since they in particular are centered around it and developed a lot of terminology to specifically talk about the different internal experiences and changes it involves compared to other cultures.

It was also very useful for Shinzen to establish a difference between pain and suffering in his definitions when talking about that. Pain is inevitable but suffering can be avoided, and awakening does that. Suffering is when sensory experience is met with resistance with itself, and awakening seems to make one's system stop doing that so much from what I understand.

I'm sorry if I derailed the thread, though. Interesting conversations start and I am not sure if I am straying from the purpose of the thread and don't want to get in trouble, though it also seems like it may be important. I can't tell

Creation for creation's sake.

More of my drawings

Resident Dojikko

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone, thanks for your illuminating replies. I appreciate the advice.

It looks like there are two basic topics to reply to here--"conflict between Buddhism and Stoicism" and matters of practical importance. I'll address the latter first and then write another reply about my views on Buddhism and Stoicism.

Luminesce:

However, they will not be perfect, even if you think they are. Especially in the cases of creating an "enlightened" tulpa, or one based on Jesus/Buddha/etc., I issue the warning to remember they are only what your own brain is capable of simulating. As wise as they may seem, they can be no wiser than your own brain. Meaning for example, even if something they say sounds incredibly profound, you should only use it as guidance and not as gospel, because it still came out of just your own brain.

This is an excellent, very important point. I will definitely keep it in mind.

They can be amazing influences, and I won't say that switching or merging for positive benefits is impossible, but you won't get the results you want from "cheating" your way to developing as a person. And for those susceptible to this sort of thing, trying to mess with your personality can cause some mental problems best avoided.

You are probably right that some part of my motivation here does involve a desire to develop... well, faster. For much of my life I've seen a tendency for myself and others to simply... stay the same, to not develop, to do nothing but sail upon a course that has already been set.

I do realize that switching won't solve my problems, though. My main hope is for advisors to guide and encourage me, and perhaps for some archetypes to alter my emotional/motivational states when needed.

BearBaeBeau:

They also led me to a spiritual awakening via my experience with switching. It gave me a distanced perspective and helped in the development of autoreset.

Could you say more about this? It sounds very interesting.

ZenAndMika:

The one thing I do have direct experience with is the creation of Jungian shadow-self thoughtform. This one was actually done unintentionally long before I discovered tulpamancy, but has adopted new vividness as I have come to understand precisely what he is.

Essentially, there is no real difference in him between what he is and any other thoughtform. The more he is interacted with in a way that is autonomous the more he fails to be purely an archetype. Archetypes are too simple to be people in the end. He actively wishes to remain separate from my life as a way of keep his core ideas relatively pure and as close to representing the unconscious as possible - and only wishes to be used as a tool as a result.

However, it should be noted that the development of a thoughtform that you communicate with is not actually necessary to switch or merge with an identity. Before tulpamancy, my main field of expertise regarding this comes from Chaos Magic's ideas (which I accept purely in a psychological context, rather than a metaphysical one). If you are unfamiliar, one of the chief practices of Chaos Magic involves invoking archetypal identities (without prolonged Forcing, as tulpamancy would put it) with the intention of merging with them. I would suspect that it would be much easier to "invoke" a particular archetype if it remains a purer idea this way, rather than something which will invariably be tested and change itself when its modes of behaviour prove too simple.

After reading your post, I went and got a copy of Liber Null and started reading it. Very interesting stuff--I wasn't familiar with Chaos Magic before this. Are there any resources, especially books, that you'd recommend for this type of practice with archetypal identities? So far, I haven't seen explicit mention of the practice in Liber Null, though there is discussion of the sigil method.

Based on your comments, it sounds like a combination of Chaos Magic (which I would also interpret in a psychological context) for archetypes and tulpamancy for advisors/mentors would be the way to go. I don't think I'd try Tibetan Yidam without a teacher, but I may eventually find such a teacher. Whether I still consider it valuable at that point is unknown, of course.

3 hours ago, Ascendant said:

After reading your post, I went and got a copy of Liber Null and started reading it. Very interesting stuff--I wasn't familiar with Chaos Magic before this. Are there any resources, especially books, that you'd recommend for this type of practice with archetypal identities? So far, I haven't seen explicit mention of the practice in Liber Null, though there is discussion of the sigil method.

I'm a fan of this one, it's informal and to the point about being praxis-based rather than getting bogged down too much in the metaphysics. Invocation is part 9.

https://www.deviantart.com/bluefluke/art/The-Psychonaut-Field-Manual-FOURTH-PDF-EDITION-530005584

That being said I'd avoid thinking thinking of Tulpamancy and Chaos Magic as actually separate things at the end of the day. There's nothing unique to Chaos Magic that isn't also in Tulpamancy, it's really just the terminology that's different. They speak in terms of gnosis, we speak in terms of trance states. They speak in terms of spirits, we speak in terms of thoughtforms or tulpas. It's all the same stuff and the basic way it works is the same, but the belief in metaphysics opens up some interesting interactions for them - like believing spirits can be external in the first can make them hostile by default, whereas thoughtforms are less likely to be this way if you acknowledge them as always you from the get go; unless you've got baggage.

If you literally examine what is being suggested the process is:

1) Fixate on the concept of them and enter a meditative or hypnotic trance.

2) Ground yourself and establish intent vocally with a simple autosuggestion script.

3) Autohypnotic symbolic imagery to deepen the effect.

This is basically no different to how tulpamancers switch already, with some slight variance on the symbology used, and whether they're good at rapidly using suggestion on themselves without having to spend the time to ground/go into trances. What you'll literally be doing when you switch with this archetype is the same as in Tulpamancy as it is in any tradition.

It's also important to remember that Chaos Magic is also built around the concept of finding-what-works, rather than adhering to tradition - The true "way to do it like a Chaos Magician", is to find your own rituals that resonate with you; which coincidentally is what I think is also best in Tulpamancy. Your brain needs to accept the symbology that's being thrown at it for the process of autosuggestion to work. Sometimes this means you need to believe in the rituals being practiced; maybe they need to actually be flavoured in the way of your religion. For others they need to come up with their own rituals and symbology entirely; which is basically what the whole sigil thing is about - having a framework for symbology that can be adapted and understood internally. The way tulpamancers tend to do it is just winged on-the-fly imagery, for example one method that's around here listed on the forum is imagining yourself as a vessel and pouring your tulpa's essence into you like water.

The key take away from all of this is that symbolism is often very personal, so you may need to develop your own if someone else's stuff doesn't resonate well with you by default. Do not become too fixated on what works for others, because it may be entirely different for yourself.

Edited by ZenAndMika

Zen - Host.

Mika - Tulpa. The eldest, and a homegrown tupper made with tulpamancy.

Rhys - Tulpa. Initially a Literary Thoughtform of my own creation.

Asterion - Tulpa. Literary, I suppose? Mythological egregore, maybe? He's The Minotaur.

If text is uncoloured, presume Zen is talking. We go by he/him.

6 hours ago, Ascendant said:

Could you say more about this? It sounds very interesting.

Which part of it in particular are you interested in?

Also, in the future put an @ symbol

Like this @Ascendant to ping me. I'm not here every day and I don't see everything.

• 3 months later...
(edited)

Extremely good explanation of Chaos Magick.

As Zen explained, tulpamancy and chaos magick are the same process, with (maybe) different goals and terminology.
If you read Libernull, you are done. Replace sigils with anything and it works (literally anything).

If you still want something more to read, I would advise that practice is more important than having more theory. That being said, the best book I read is Advanced Magick for Beginners.
From that book are this steps:

• Decide a result you desire
  • Choose an experience
  • Decide that the experience means the same as what you want to occur.
  • Perform the experience

It's really similar to sigils, just with anything instead of the sigil. You can throw some gnosis in the mix if you want to.

Edited by Deban