Categories of Thoughtforms

Scott Z

The term "servitor" as we use it comes from Clark Ashton Smith, who wrote stories in H.P. Lovecraft's Cthulhu Mythos. Chaos Magic adopted the term (as they've adopted a lot of the Cthulhu Mythos), and it bled over into other magicworking, where it was applied to pre-existing concepts, and eventually to us.

An article and a definition:

A servitor is simply a created being designed for some purpose. This entity has the functionality of whatever its creator has given to it, and its strength is limited only by the amount of energy put in to it and/or the abilities of the caster.

An egregore is just like a servitor, only it has taken on a will of its own. It can do things without commands, but will most likely stay within the realms of the intent of its original creation.

I would add that an egregore is created by a group -- never a single person. I also believe that a servitor can also do things without commands as they will occasionally develop sentience.

By contrast, our community says that a servitor is a non-sentient tulpa.

I don't like any of these lists because some terms cover too much, others too little, and there are still things left uncovered.

If I were to redefine the terms, I'd put them something like this:

Thoughtform - a person, place, or thing that was created by the mind. All thoughtforms reflect the unconscious mind of the creators, whether as the mind naturally was, or how the mind has been molded to support the thoughtform.

Servitor - unimposed thoughtform, created to carry out a particular task or purpose.

Tulpa - imposed, sentient thoughtform. (As Alexandra David-Neel used it, since there is no other origin source, to my knowledge.)

Hologram - imposed non-sentient thoughtform. (This community used to use this term.)

Wonderland - any thoughtform place, regardless of use.

Spirit - a sentient being not created by the mind, but having no physical form -- their existence is a matter of some debate.

Imaginary Friend - unimposed thoughtform, created for companionship, either sentient or growing sentience.

Memory Palace - a form of wonderland used in memory training.

Sigil - a symbol used in magicworking to empower a thoughtform or a spell.

Egregore - a sentient thoughtform created by a group.

Godform - a thoughtform created to fill the role of a deity.

Soul-Bond - thoughtform of a fictional character created for companionship.

Daemon/Demon - Nightmare word with a thousand definitions and nearly as many spellings (I only list the two most common). 1. A sort of familiar as described in the His Dark Materials series by Philip Pullman. 2. A nature spirit. 3. An evil or malicious spirit. 4. A spirit which watches over a person from birth, or a place throughout its existence. 5. A theoretical entity with special powers used in thought experiments. 6. A being which works with a human to drive and inspire them.

Succubus/Incubus - a spirit or thoughtform whose purpose is sex. May be a demon (definition 3.)

Alter-Ego - a sentient, formless thoughtform, occasionally formed and switched with by accident.

Guardian Angel - a spirit which watches over a person from birth.

Spirit Guide / Spirit Animal - a spirit or thoughtform contacted for purposes of spiritual guidance, usually through a wonderland.

Familiar - a spirit or thoughtform that might take the form of an animal, or possess an animal, and aids in magicworking.

Shadow - a thoughtform that embodies your repressed thoughts and desires. Everybody has one.

Doppelganger - a thoughtform or spirit designed to resemble a person, often used by that person to communicate instantaneously over a distance.

"'Real isn't how you are made,' said the Skin Horse. 'It's a thing that happens to you.'"