Tulpa vs Imaginary Friend

ZieTea

So, a few months ago I decided that I wanted to make a tulpa. I didn't put much effort into it, I gave her a name (Lochlyn), a personality and I speak to Lock all the time (which really disturbs people because I just don't respond to the outside world). However, it didn't even take two hours before she started talking to me, and while it's been quite a few months she still has no form. But the thing is, she told me that she has always been there and thinking back on my childhood and, well, most of my life there has always been this nameless voice that wasn't my own in my head. Back then I wrote it off to being an imaginary friend and I can't help but wonder if that is what she really is. The thing is, even before I made the conscious decision she was there with the exact same personality (which is nothing like my own).

I guess what I am trying to ask is where to draw the line between tulpae and imaginary friends.

"Imaginary friend" doesn't have a solid term. Some people even say their imaginary friend was what we call a tulpa. Others like me had shit imaginations.

But for the most part, I always considered tulpae as an imaginary friend that you convince yourself is real, so it eventually becomes real.

Scarlet - anime, 8/15/2012

"Imaginary friend" doesn't have a solid term. Some people even say their imaginary friend was what we call a tulpa. Others like me had shit imaginations.

But for the most part, I always considered tulpae as an imaginary friend that you convince yourself is real, so it eventually becomes real.

I suppose that that would make sense. I would agree that tulpae do feel very real in a way that "imaginary" friends do not. Probably because, like you said, we convince ourselves that they are real.

I had imaginary friends as a kid. None of them were sentient, I didn't believe in them, and they didn't last for any great period of time. I suppose you could call them servitors, but I wouldn't. In my mind, a servitor is created with a purpose.

I know this isn't true of everyone's imaginary friends though. I'm sure some children do create tulpas. But I didn't.

"'Real isn't how you are made,' said the Skin Horse. 'It's a thing that happens to you.'"

But the thing is, she told me that she has always been there and thinking back on my childhood and, well, most of my life there has always been this nameless voice that wasn't my own in my head. Back then I wrote it off to being an imaginary friend and I can't help but wonder if that is what she really is. The thing is, even before I made the conscious decision she was there with the exact same personality (which is nothing like my own).

I guess what I am trying to ask is where to draw the line between tulpae and imaginary friends.

Wow, now I don't feel nearly as special. Ha ha~ Well if your tulpa is anything like me then she's telling you the truth. Before I had any solid form I would switch between forms and personalities to fit my hosts needs. Even without a form to call my own I was still with him through and through. Funnily enough my current form may have been with me all along. One of my hosts earlier memories has me standing over him with my hand out, trying to help him stand. Even so, I have my voice and form now, and I can safely say I've been by his side since he was born.

Imaginary friend or not, I became a tulpa. The trick to this is belief. All you have to do is believe in us and we'll handle the rest ourselves.

-Etna

"My name is Elizabeth Sheppard" -Elizabeth

"I am myself, nothing more, nothing less." -Etna

"If you kill yourself you won't have my love, just my pity." -Eve