And Now For Some Hilariously Bad Art

GrayTheCat

tR8kcZ0.pngwJ8VRO3.jpg?1

Alice Cooper finished his marionette and ugly makeup training for the day.

Meow. You may see my headmates call me Gray or sometimes Cat.

I used to speak in pink and Ranger used to speak in blue (if it's unmarked and colored assume it's Ranger). She loves to chat.

Our system account

Looks like a cartoon more than a realistic attempt. The body is not bad (hat included) it's just the face.

Looks like a cartoon more than a realistic attempt. The body is not bad (hat included) it's just the face.

I have no idea how to do proper shadows and shading, and for that reason everything will look like a cartoon. I tried looking up how to do more advanced shading techniques and I always found the site that said "it's obvious!" or "just use your basic knowledge of lighting". I must be picking the worst places to look...

And yeah I'm terrible at drawing faces. I figured with mere practice and exposure effect I'll get better.

I used to speak in pink and Ranger used to speak in blue (if it's unmarked and colored assume it's Ranger). She loves to chat.

Our system account

I've been drawing all my life and still sometimes I don't know where the hell to put the shadows and lighting. But for most of the cases, just think of where the source of light is coming from, I had to do in art school an exercise about different types of shading keeping in mind light's direction, I will try to find it and show you.

As for faces...well, I draw mostly anime, if you want to draw realistic faces, just keep trying, I know it's the most shitty advice you can give someone but it's true. I'm 100% sure you can learn to draw whatever you want if you keep practicing till you get it right. It'll most likely take a lot of time, but skill is something that comes with time, you can't get worse if you keep trying, it's impossible.

• 2 weeks later...

GiNSn3p.pngSfxV9DH.jpg?1

I challenged Klug to a derpy Puyo Puyo battle and apparently I won...?

I was talking to my brother yesterday and I asked him what the weirdest thing I said that day. He told me the weirdest thing I said was the possibility of me being a Klug main in Puyo Puyo Tetris, even though I was not too long ago trying to explain how switching and merging work using the car metaphor (but replacing the car with a Mario Party 9 vehicle.)

I guess this is the weirdest picture I drew in this entire thread...?

Our system account

• 1 month later...

This is a little overdue... but here's another!

Z8gG4xr.pngewSQXyS.jpg

I leaned 2 things today:

• Kristen Bell is secretly a banshee
  • I can't draw women.

Our system account

Cat, first of all, beautiful work. Before you are too critical on yourself, go to an art museum and pay attention to some of the thing they call 'art'. Trust me, i see promise in your work.

The hardest part of art for me is saying, "it's good enough". The second hardest is enduring the hours it takes to get there. The third hardest part is finding a comfortable place to do it.

In class, during a lecture, was the most comfortable place for me. Now it's in my office at work. I'm an art criminal i guess. I need to steal time from somewhere.

Ultimately if you are good enough that you like it, that's good enough. It also helps a lot when someone can give a positive comment.

When it comes to drawing, I like to doodle but I always wanted to draw surreal art. Obviously, minor doodles here and there are not enough to master the techniques I need for my dream.

I created this thread so I don't get too discouraged when looking at derpy-plier, and having the motivation to draw a crappy Klug in the first place. This thread motivates me to continue drawing seriously, and I feel like, "If I can post this to the internet and make fun of it, then I feel like this is worth my time to draw in the first place, even if I don't like it."

Thank you for the positivity guys, but seriously, feel more than welcome to criticize my art! (Feedback for the win!) Are there certain angles I should pursue, or are the proportions off? I know it looks like a joke but I put a good 30-45 minutes into these sometimes. Also, you guys need to tell me which one of these are you favorite (For whatever reason, lol).

Our system account

It looks to me like you're drawing symbolically, rather than drawing what you're seeing. There's a forehead, hair, a nose, etc., all the right parts, but it's not making it more realistic.

It's clear you put effort into it, you have much more detail than what I expected for "Hilariously Bad Art." I recommend you start with a light pencil sketch of the big shapes: the outline of the face, with a midline where the nose sits and ovals where the eyes fit. If you start light with an undersketch and work your way darker, I can bet you'll see instant improvement.

Keep at it!

(You may find this helpful for getting your heads/faces in proportion)

Edit: Added link

The world is far, the world is wide; the man needs someone by his side. 

Our Thread

Oh, in that case, if you're trying to sight copy, and you're making line drawings, then have some images of face and body at hand, and don't think twice about swapping out features that look good in line art for the features you're trying to copy. I'd say noses are hard, they're mostly shadow, but people have already figured that all out online. Find some noses that look similar, than just sight copy those line arts.

Your faces are a little oddly shaped. Plan out the face shape, there are tons of examples online. Put the eyes in the right place for the style of art you like to mimic. Irl people have funky eye placement imo. So just make them look a tad bigger and further apart or whever looks better. Surrealism is a lot of mixing and matching.

I'm no René Magritte, and some people have natural talent, but you can get good if you work on it. It will take years of work, just keep that in mind.