Should a psychology board be made?

Aviar

Should a Psychology board be created?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Should a Psychology board be created?

• Yes
    • No

Well, why should there be a psychology board?

First, I feel most of this board is not 'about science' as much as it is about tulpa anecdotes. To be fair, people may consider this science, but I think having a seperate psychology board might provide a place where there is a guaranteed psychological approach, without as much anecdotal chaff.

Second, it provides a clear place to post psychological information and materials. Why not in the rest of the board? See the first reason.

Thirdly, it provides symmetry, balancing out the Metaphysical board.

I'll post more later on, or as people argument the point.

Boards should really only be made when they absolutely have to. Meaning when their non-existence is actually causing enough problems to have the whole populace in outrage.

Spreading things out too far has too many negative consequences... splitting us into "one part for metaphysical and the rest for everything else" is enough of a rift.

The above post does not contain facts.

q2's the host, QB's the tulpa.

Boards should really only be made when they absolutely have to. Spreading things out too far has too many negative consequences... splitting us into "one part for metaphysical and the rest for everything else" is enough of a rift.

Well, seeing as people generally have a negative view on metaphysical aspects, I see why it was done. This time, it should simply be because it does not follow the main stream of conversation on the other boards (even though it should).

I think I know what you're getting at in this board- just one that debates serious topics since everything else is so strongly skewed towards how to develop a tulpa. I could see that being valuable, but it should also extend slightly beyond the scope of psychology by addressing philosophy too, so long as it doesn't dip into metaphysics. I'm imagining topics like "Where does sentience start?", which was a good discussion on IRC the other night but got derailed after a short time because of the format of being on a chat. No topic stays afloat there for very long. A board dedicated to those discussions would do us good.

The entire site is for psychological discussion. Yes, a lot of it is just observation, but what do you expect us to do? Get the funding for brain scans?

We sometimes simply notice things that our tulpa do (participant or natural observation depending on how you want to look at it). We ask them questions (survey). Sometimes we even set up a small experiment, like a string of math questions to see how fast they can solve it (experimental). The progress reports can each be seen as a self done case study.

We have no funding. We can't actually go into a lab and do professional research.

The entire site is for psychological discussion. Yes, a lot of it is just observation, but what do you expect us to do? Get the funding for brain scans?

We sometimes simply notice things that our tulpa do (participant or natural observation depending on how you want to look at it). We ask them questions (survey). Sometimes we even set up a small experiment, like a string of math questions to see how fast they can solve it (experimental). The progress reports can each be seen as a self done case study.

We have no funding. We can't actually go into a lab and do professional research.

Nice job identifying methods of capturing information. Problem is, it only plays out in words. Go onto the Research board and count all the hypothesis people plant for their experiments. How many did you count? My guess is you can count it on one hand.

Also, it is not for professional research. Really, why do people consistently imagine that brain scans and money are the only methods of research? I simply imagine it as a place where people actively attempt to devise *proper* experiments (hypothesis, variables, etc.) and actually use the methods for capturing information (right now it's just words). Right now, the only writings I find that are of a psychological nature are yours, and some other loose posts here and there. I would like to be able to collect all such research and material into one board where it can be elaborated and documented.

Essentially right now the board is purely of an anecdotal nature (people like to justify this as empirical research), and metaphysical (which people pretty much use to ask spiritual questions, and is disdained by most). I would like to add a place for psychological research (serious place with strict moderation and standards).

The purpose of the research board is to think of an experiment, discuss it, then make carry out the experiment. The psychology board is there, some people just don't use it right. We need people to follow up on their experiments, not just propose the idea and leave.

The board is there though. We don't need another one, we just need to focus on improving the one we have. Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I don't really go on that board a whole lot because I don't want to get into my head what a tulpa can and can't do before mine is imposed, but I'll think of ways to improve it over the next few days.

The purpose of the research board is to think of an experiment, discuss it, then make carry out the experiment. The psychology board is there, some people just don't use it right. We need people to follow up on their experiments, not just propose the idea and leave.

The board is there though. We don't need another one, we just need to focus on improving the one we have. Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I don't really go on that board a whole lot because I don't want to get into my head what a tulpa can and can't do before mine is imposed, but I'll think of ways to improve it over the next few days.

That is fine too, as long as psychological material, experiments and results can be posted there.