A Model For Parallel Processessing : Autonomous Wonderland Hypothesis

(edited)

Basing my model off of what Ranger discussed, I came up with a model that seems to explain what we observed. I would like for people to pick it apart and see if it makes sense.

In short, I propose that an automatic wonderland (AW) is responsible for wonderland based parallel processing and without one, this flavor of parallel processing is unlikely if not impossible. Instead of depending on the conscious space of the front, headmates in parallel depend on the automatic wonderland to think and interact. The experience a headmate has is highly variable and depends on a few factors such as overall processing power, visualization ability, and experience with the wonderland.

1.  An automatic wonderland (AW) is a wonderland that's stable enough to easily be recalled and has automatic functions and rules, such as defined gravity and automatic weather cycles. An automatic wonderland has enough defined rules for how it should operate that the wonderland becomes autonomous, effectively acting as an independent servitor. Due to its automatic nature, it does not depend on the switched-in fronter's awareness to operate.
  2. The AW acts as an anchor for experience and creates the watcher, parallel, and pre-dormant positions. The watcher position is observing what the fronter is experiencing from the AW, remaining outside of the host's awareness. The parallel processing position is focusing on the wonderland and interacting with one's surroundings. Finally, the pre-dormant position is drifting outside of the wonderland's scope of simulation and into a state of inactivity. This would be very similar to the passive state, only instead of being passive in the back you are being passive in your AW.
  3. The AW has a finite pool of processing power it can draw from. When an AW is created, it takes up space in the mind. This pool of processing power determines who can remain in parallel, how aware individuals are in the AW, and the general quality of the internal experience. This pool of processing power may be expanded with training.
  4. The more detailed the AW, the more stable it is and the better it is at being an anchor. Perhaps the idea an inner world can't change for whatever reason survived because those who believed it can destabilized their wonderland, could never create a stable AW in the first place, or lost the autonomy of their wonderland.
  5. The pool of processing power and how many resources an AW can use is related to visualization ability. The higher the render quality, the more that can be remembered and the more easily headmates can parallel process.
  6. Headmates may be "compressed" in parallel to save processing space. They may be limited to speaking in tulpish, have impulsive behaviors, and may be unable to think in complex thoughts. The more time an individual headmate spends in an AW, the more efficient they become and possibly the more resources they can use. If there is an overall improvement in processing power, individual headmates may benefit from the change and have the ability to spend more resources.

I think this model answers the following questions:

• What are some of the limits of parallel processing?
  • How does one have a watcher position?
  • How come it seems to be most systems who can parallel process have all of their heamates parallel process, but the parallel experience is somehow individual?
  • Why can the headmate who's switched-in have a hard time interacting with the parallel wonderland?
  • Why was there a common belief in parallel processing in the past that has been lost now? (There was a greater focus on developing wonderlands at the time where now that's not as common)
  • Why do some systems report impulsive behaviors, the wonderland being a dream-like state, or neither?
  • Why is having MaDD (Maladaptive Daydreaming Disorder) relevant to having an AW?
  • How could a system develop parallel processing naturally or via training?

This model doesn't explain or answer the following questions:

• Is belief necessary for having an AW or is it a convenience?
  • Is auditory imposition a separate "channel" for parallel processing, and if so how does it work?
  • Where is the line between confabulation and an AW processing in parallel?
  • Is this pool of processing power capable of acting as an independent conscious workspace or is it just mimicking a conscious workspace?
  • Why do tulpas who claim to parallel process often have their own 1st person perspectives in wonderland?

Other questions I have (these can be skipped):

Spoiler
  • If a wonderland was created by the host, who originally was switched-in before creating their tulpas, did they notice their wonderland becoming less accessible after creating more autonomous components?
  • Are there other autonomous components this model leaves out?

Edited by Cat_ShadowGriffin

I actually use this as a form now, but it's not my main one. I'm still not a hippo, neither is Ranger.

I used to speak in pink and Ranger used to speak in blue (if it's unmarked and colored assume it's Ranger). He loves to chat.

Our system account

It's worth noting that when you master a skill, it takes LESS brain activity to carry it out, while the person who is still learning requires more brain activity even though they're not doing as well. People with hyperphantasia use less brain activity to visualize than people who aren't as good at visualizing. So a tulpamancy skill that seems like it would be very demanding of resources may not actually be.

Host: YukariTelepath

Tulpa: Aya

• 3 weeks later...

If you ask me, the idea of having a world in your head that’s somehow its own separate entity is total bunk. If anything, this “autonomous wonderland” is just a finely-trained mental habit. Consistency and detail in the wonderland is achieved by training your brain to remember what it’s like and how it works, and things can apparently happen and change over time because your brain is good at filling in the gaps and explaining away anything different it comes up with. Think like in dreams, how something in a dream can remind you “oh yeah this happened”, but then you wake up and realize the memory you recalled in the dream wasn’t a real one or something that happened earlier in the dream/a previous dream; it was just something your brain made up on the spot. (For the record, I believe this is how tulpas “remember” things that happen in the wonderland outside of the host’s awareness.)

This whole “processing power”, “resources”... “compression”... the brain is not a computer, and also, the 10% of our brain myth is just that: a myth. Tulpamancy doesn’t tap into some unused store of mental resources and allocate them to tulpas/the wonderland. Don’t get me wrong, our brains can process things in parallel: for instance, when you’re doing one thing and thinking about something totally different. The thing is, the more we spread our cognition across separate things, well, the worse we are at everything, because we’re unable to give our full attention to the task(s) at hand. Having a wonderland constantly “running” as a background process would impose a constant detriment to our ability to focus on anything (and we would be cognizant of it to some extent; no process is completely unconscious save for reflexes). If you want to continue with the computer metaphor, we normally run at like 90% CPU (don’t quote me on the number) and simulating a world on top of that is like adding some graphics-intensive game to all the existing processes. Your computer’s performance is going to suck unless you close something else taking up your CPU (=attention). And simulating a second personality may as well be starting up a virtual machine with another OS.

Sorry if this isn’t response isn’t totally relevant to what you’re trying to say. It’s hard to understand what you’re saying when you’re trying to explain in computing terms something that is very, very far from functioning like a computer.

To address some of your remaining questions:

Is belief necessary for having an AW or is it a convenience?

I see belief working here the same way it does for tulpamancy in general: it’s necessary to sustain the illusion that the imagined simulation is real, but it isn’t at all necessary for the simulation itself. (E.g., as a writer, I can simulate my characters as realistically as any tulpa, yet I know they’re only products of my imagination.)

Where is the line between confabulation and an AW processing in parallel?

I don’t believe there is a line. It’s all confabulation. Or, you could say AW “parallel processing” is confabulation plus the belief that you aren’t confabulating.

Is this pool of processing power capable of acting as an independent conscious workspace or is it just mimicking a conscious workspace?

The latter, though again, your terminology suggests a conception very far from how the brain actually works.

I come out of hibernation once in a blue moon.

They/them pronouns, please. (I've been using this display name since 2012 and people won't recognize me if I change it.)

The model definitely assumes you can somehow make the unconscious mind act like a conscious workspace, and I think that's either the best part or the worst part (probably worst). At the very least, this model fails to distinguish parallel processing from confabulation.

I don't believe you are only using 10% of your brain, I agree with the 90% metaphor. If this model had any relevance, an alternate conscious workspace would either be a minor detriment or a major determent depending on how "advanced" the wonderland is and if you accept impulsive behavior rather than actual conscious decisions.

Edited by Cat_ShadowGriffin

I actually use this as a form now, but it's not my main one. I'm still not a hippo, neither is Ranger.

I used to speak in pink and Ranger used to speak in blue (if it's unmarked and colored assume it's Ranger). He loves to chat.

Our system account