Virus

About a reddit comment.

It is just hard for me to get my head around that. How do you design a personality for a conscious mind? "Hey, I think you will be a jerk!"

It's arguable, but pre-sentient tulpas aren't "people" yet. They aren't able to express opinions and preferences, so they can't really decide what they want for themselves at the time. I think the reason why people do this is to facilitate sentience - if they have a base personality, it'll be easier to get in the belief that they're real people. It's it's really just a placeholder until they get sentience.

Though that does make me wonder. By doing this, the tulpa is encouraged to keep these traits, which is why most tulpas never deviate completely from their personalities. Sure, your tulpas could say "I like these traits, though!," but isn't that simply because they were born with it? Because that's what feels natural to them? Isn't that limiting the options of the tulpa for who they want to be? If they're being told that they are these kinds of people, aren't you subconsciously hoping they stay like that, and they become encouraged to? With these questions in mind, isn't giving a personality base for them morally wrong?

Then again, if both consciousnesses are fine with it, this is as meaningless as trying to prove tulpas are real. Just food for thought.

I'm not going to listen to you guys since you are all probably just talking to yourself and don't really have a tulpa like me.