TheOther

My idea for a simple personality forcing technique

The impression I get from most guides is that the way to go about personality forcing is to try instilling the tulpa with traits that will make them happy and morally upstanding, the same way a parent would go about trying to raise their kids with positive values. So I’ve come up with a four-step method that I plan to use when forcing my own headmate.

1: Name the trait.

2: Explain why it’s a good trait to have.

3: Explain how the tulpa could easily have said trait.

4: Imagine a scenario where they’re demonstrating this attribute.

So for example, if I was forcing my tulpa this way, I might say:

1: “You should be courageous and confident.”

2: “Bravery and confidence help you stand up for what you believe in and stop people from walking over you.”

3: “Many people are naturally courageous, and our brain is no different to theirs. Plus you’re still being developed. So there’s nothing stopping you from adapting this trait.” (I figure this explanation could work for pretty much any value I’m trying to instil.)

4: I might then imagine my tulpa being at a party where someone is trying to peer-pressure her into doing something that contradicts her values. My tulpa would fearlessly stand her ground and refuse.

Do you guys think I’m going about this the right way?

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, TheOther said:

Do you guys think I’m going about this the right way?

I feel like it's hard to do personality forcing wrong. From what I have seen, personality forcing boils down to expectation, and any method that explains why you should act that way to be a better person is going above and beyond. The only time I would consider it to be wrong is if you are expecting them to always agree with you, expect them to have specific flaws, or expect them to be evil or something.

However, ultimately it's up to your tulpa to be who they want to be, regardless how you go about it. Teaching your tulpa your expectations for how they should behave will shape who they are, but they will decide if they agree or disagree with you and if that's consistent with their self-image. The best thing to do here is to go along with their deviation, unless it's clear it's sourced by an intrusive thought or something.

Edited by Ranger

I'm Ranger, Gray's/Cat_ShadowGriffin's tulpa, and I love hippos! I also like cake and chatting about stuff.

My other headmates have their own account now.

Temporary Log | Switching LogcBox | Yay!

7 hours ago, TheOther said:

1: Name the trait.

2: Explain why it’s a good trait to have.

3: Explain how the tulpa could easily have said trait.

4: Imagine a scenario where they’re demonstrating this attribute.

I think it's reasonable. Having done personality forcing on some of my headmates after they were already well established, it did turn them around like a good consistent lecture or intervention.

If I hadn't, maybe Misha would be kind of a self-important and Ashley would possibly be much ruder.

In a way you're setting system boundries and helping them realize that there's a better way to act. For us, they just needed more attention and to them, good or bad attention was the same. (Like children.)