Change of the length of activation period

Purlox

Disagree. If anything make it longer. We still get tons of people coming into the IRC asking the most rookie questions, having the most uninitiated of attitudes towards tulpas, the kinds of things which should be painfully obvious to anyone who has done the proper research. I recommend more clearly stressing the importance of the activation period for doing preliminary research. This isn't a phenomenon or community that people should be jumping into blindly.

I agree that stressing the importance would help, but making it longer doesn't have to help.

There is no way to actually block people from going to IRC to ask questions (that is the point if it) unless Pleeb makes it that users can't see the chat button until their accounts are activated, which isn't a good solution imo.

lol the waiting period is total bullshit to begin with and was only implemented to stop my incessant creation of accounts like Werner and all the other buddies. The argument about how it's supposed to give a fucking "waiting period for research" is retarded beyond belief and, at its root, a dumb excuse, but hey, it's not my IRC channel getting shat on.

Pleeb is an idiot.

I think Pleeb's idea is good in concept, but doesn't end up working so great in practice. I've heard of two real responses to the waiting period: "when will it get activated" / "can an admin please activate my account", and "okay, I'll go diddle around elsewhere on the Internet for 3 days". Neither of these is very useful.

And still we have lots of n00bs asking n00b questions here. Then we have lots of others who get through their 3-day waiting period and then enter eternal lurk mode.

I'd get rid of or shorten the wait period, and toss something on the new post page trying to get people to search before posting.

Lyra: human female, ~17

Evan: boy, ~14, was an Eevee

Anera: anime-style girl, ~12; Lyra made her

My blog :: Time expectations are bad (forcing time targets are good though)

We still get tons of people coming into the IRC asking the most rookie questions, having the most uninitiated of attitudes towards tulpas, the kinds of things which should be painfully obvious to anyone who has done the proper research.

Nopony has done the proper research and nopony ever will.

What happens after signup? Is there a "Go research & force" statement or something?

No. There is nothing. The user is forced to come to this conclusion on their own. If we were to measure how many realize this, it would show how ridiculous the idea is.

lol the waiting period is total bullshit to begin with and was only implemented to stop my incessant creation of accounts like Werner and all the other buddies. The argument about how it's supposed to give a fucking "waiting period for research" is retarded beyond belief and, at its root, a dumb excuse, but hey, it's not my IRC channel getting shat on.

Pleeb is an idiot.

I think Pleeb's idea is good in concept, but doesn't end up working so great in practice. I've heard of two real responses to the waiting period: "when will it get activated" / "can an admin please activate my account", and "okay, I'll go diddle around elsewhere on the Internet for 3 days". Neither of these is very useful.

And still we have lots of n00bs asking n00b questions here. Then we have lots of others who get through their 3-day waiting period and then enter eternal lurk mode.

I'd get rid of or shorten the wait period, and toss something on the new post page trying to get people to search before posting.

I agree.

Not true.

No. There is nothing. The user is forced to come to this conclusion on their own. If we were to measure how many realize this, it would show how ridiculous the idea is.

You should try registering a new account instead of making an assumption. You would find out that there actually is something.

Not long ago we did, and it gave only four items as causes that were entirely unimpressive in getting a pony to do research. We scarcely have any reason to expect there has been a serious increase in straightforwardness in the registration process.

Or any other method of interacting with the public, for that matter.

• 1 month later...

Disagree. If anything make it longer. We still get tons of people coming into the IRC asking the most rookie questions, having the most uninitiated of attitudes towards tulpas, the kinds of things which should be painfully obvious to anyone who has done the proper research. I recommend more clearly stressing the importance of the activation period for doing preliminary research. This isn't a phenomenon or community that people should be jumping into blindly.

IRC != Forums; Noob questions should be tolerated there (Isn't that why it exists?)(The 3-day wait also doesn't affect the IRC anyway, and being made to wait isn't going to entice anyone to research anything.

Remove it entirely and deal with the single-user problems individually rather than enforcing global restrictions and trying to find justifications for them.

Noob questions are something that plagues every community.

Though I suppose you could have some sort of 'tulpa quiz' to let people get past the 3-day wait; A bot won't know how to handle it; It would slow the creation of multiple accounts down, and make the 'uninitiated' wait longer for 'research' purposes and whatnot.

Guest Anonymous

I personally disagree. I came across a guy in the IRC who had read the guides, and was referencing them. Something that I took away from the conversation was that he was asking a lot of noob questions. Like, what is forcing, and other stuff covered in the guides and such. So we need to make an FAQ for fucking retards special people. (Only 90s kids will get that reference!) I personally propose the 4chan copy pasta that I found and posted to the OT board a while ago. I haven't read it through recently though. Or possibly merging the existing one with the 4chan one. I really don't know.

I know. This is the current state of affairs:

First registration page. Nothing about guides, just an underage blocker.

wearenotresponsibleforyougettinghacked.txt

The typical bs.

Which leads to this. Quotes added after 100 hours in photoshop. Just as a note, that account was one I made a few days ago, not right now.

How can we improve this? Well, off the bat, is add a counter. I made the HPS account for my tulpas about 2 days ago. But those screenshots were from right now, and still say 3 days. I doubt it would take much coding to write a timer. Another is the way the paragraph is worded. The "Until a staff member activates your account" bit makes it seem as though you have to contact a mod to activate your account. That sentence is semi contradicted by the "your account should be activated in 3 days bit", which makes it seem like an automated procedure. From a conversation I had with Amadeus, its both, were it is automated by any mod/admin can activate it if they want, which is against policy.

As you said, the user is left to figure out what the fuck to do. Yeah, the tabs are up there, but they might not see it. There isn't a freakin' "Hi!", so I wrote one up:

Hi there [user]! Welcome to the tulpa.info forums, where you can discuss the many aspects of tulpism. If you haven't already, we recommend that you read the guides, where you can learn the basics about creating a tupla, as well as tools to help you. To prevent spam and advertisements, we have all users wait 3 days. During that time, you can ask any questions in the official IRC channel, #tulpa.info. If you have questions that aren't easily answered, be sure to search the forums. If you have any comments or questions about the forum itself, address them here. As of now you have [remaining time] until you can post. Until then, feel free to customize your profile, and remember, we're in this

"For Science!"

Have fun!

I'm not a huge fan of exposing them to the IRC immediately, especially since they have the OT channel right next to the main chat tab. I know it sounds ridiculous, but is there a way that you can have someone connect to an IRC channel based on a cookie? So that the IRC client could tell how long your account has existed, and send you to a channel (#tulpa_noobs perhaps?) where all the newcomers gather and ask questions. Then again, this creates the issue of IRC fragmentation, which is a problem.

/15yearoldkidwhothinksthathisthoughtsarethewaythingsshouldberun