Inanity versus instinct for personal development?

Faemon

I really do mean "inanity" as in inane, not insane.

Based on this comment from the Reason(s) that your tulpa is a pony/homestuck troll/pokemon/titan/waifu thread, only because it took a (rather natural) turn from simply looking into a phenomenal trend within a subculture and outright condemning it:

In all their progress reports they just talk about all the dumb partying they do in their wonderlands, absolutely no trace of any enlightenment or self-discovery at all. That isn't even a tulpa, it's literally an imaginary friend.

(...)

and these are the majority too, like really it's no wonder tulpas will never be socially acceptable. I can't even feel sorry about it.

While he's not a psychologist, I'm thinking along the lines of Doug Walker's opinion on Where the Wild Things Are (which is a movie about a very very small child with a lot of imaginary friends.)

(The review is shorter than ten minutes, by the way: )

www.youtube.com/watch?v=32oJPbDXMy8

That's why, while I get what Bin is saying, I also have a sort of idea that everybody has an instinct for personal development that just takes a different direction than we would take ourselves.

So, here's an idea: Even the frivolity of pony parties in wonderland are helping a person to develop. It only seems indulgent to people who don't need to develop that in themselves, so of course it would seem indulgent.

What do you think? Do I have entirely too much faith in humanity and there are people determined to lie to themselves all the way down their spiral into self-destruction that burns the planet down behind them? ;)

While it's true that there is probably a certain aspect of pony parties, or whatever you want to call them, that affects a person develop, I don't think it's necessarily that big or significant a thing to be more than a pony party someone is having in their mind. That's my short opinion on it, but I want to see what other people think about this. It's an interesting aspect of the subject to analyze.

[align=center]Even though my username is that of my tulpa, Quilten, my name is Phaneron, the host, who does all of the actual posting.

Tulpas: Quilten, Jira

[/align]

I actually have a very good friend who is a brony. Actually, if he hadn't been, I would likely never have learned of tulpas, seen as though (from what I have heard) this originated on the mlp forums.

I think that to be honest, just having a tulpa helps people discover more about themselves. The process of making one shows whether you are patient/loving enough, then there is persistence etc. I don't know if the parties themselves would really have any impact, but having tulpas would surely help the process of self discovery. Having another conscious in your mind (for me anyway) makes me much more self conscious of how I act.

Some of my experiences:

It's been a pretty crazy road that me and Saphira have travelled over the last year. I've learned many interesting things about myself, some of my ideals, some unseen personality traits, and just a general better feel for who I am as a person and many ways to improve. I've never really had any "parties" I've tried going to other fictional places in the wonderland, but I've never really gotten into that. It's just me and Saphira on a (not particularly) small island. We just generally spend time together, go flying, enjoy sunsets, read books, that kind of thing. Things that make us happy and we enjoy. I've found I'm generally much happier with Saphira around. I'm not immune to unhappiness, no one is, but I am more so than before. I try not to lie to myself about who I am, and for Saphira's sake especially it has spurned me to become a better person overall, giving up fads, such as spending excessive amounts of time on consoles etc. I didn't spend nearly as much time as some people that I know, but still way too much. These days I may spend an hour on my xbox per week. Just an example really. I know it's not really relevant to the pony parties, but those are my experiences.

Part of the road to becoming a better person lies in defeating the darkness inside yourself, then helping others to do the same.

There is nothing to compare to watching a sunrise with those who you love the most.

"Step by step, moment by moment"

Well, that does happen. I call it "The blogger syndrome". Those "pony parties", as you put it, really do have much place in reports. For some there is just "I was forcing and got no/1/2/n responses" kind of things. But they write it every day. For some this is way of feeling progress, yes. But for some... Well, I can tell you about one man, who had a blog in LiveJournal. He made a second blog in Twitter, but in this one, he was writing how is he scratching himself and where. First, I thought it was funny. Then I realised that this is the way how most blogs now are written. It's hard to find one really serious blog, not the thing like "What I ate today".

What am I telling you about? That most forcers should make reports on SERIOUSLY important things.

I didn't have much progress for about 2 months, half of the term I was forcing. But those times that were really important, I had noted there (it was on different forum, it's closed now, so I lost most of it). Just for me to know that I DID HAVE DAMN PROGRESS AND I NEED TO CONTINUE. And you know what? This forcing was maybe first thing I didn't abandon in 2 months because of no seen progress. I didn't lie to myself, I always interrupted such thoughts. Lies don't help. And I do not have wonderland either. Some tell, you need to go meditating and trance thing... NOPE. My mind does not let me do it. Instead of transcendence, I feel dumbness. But I feel, that I DID see it at least once. In my dream. It was actually the same I was trying to visualise, and even my Tulpa was there - right the same I was imagining her. Maybe, I'm not completely lost.

Double Dragonfriend's post, Tulpa can reveal your another side of personality. At the start, I was even thinking that really you do not create it from zero, you INVOKE it. From somewhere deep in your soul. It's part of you. Also, I feel that even if you don't finish it, or dissipate/discard/kill/*name it yourself*, it doesn't go anywhere. It stays, just... Unseen. That does play a good role too, because if you have it by your back anyway, it's better to have completed one rather than failed experiment.

And may the fears keep away from you.

No, I've never been able to go into a trance. Not intentionally anyway. Sometimes I can just be sat there and start day-dreaming, which I snap out of almost immediately. Maybe with time. When I relax and cover my eyes if it's light, I can visualize well, but never just "let go of your body" or anything like that. I'm starting to think that I should have written a progress report. I started one in Google drive, but never really got very far. Well, I probably won't start one now. I'll do those comics to show some of the fun things that we have done though.

Sometimes I feel similar with Saphira, that she was maybe there before I actually started forcing. It may sound weird, but about 6 months to a year before I started, I felt the need for such a companion and was suddenly (extremely) emotionally attached to dragons. I didn't know where such a companion would come from. I was very confused of my emotions at the time. Then of course my friend then told me about the tulpa phenomenon. It was... timed well. I jumped at the chance. It just seemed strange...

Part of the road to becoming a better person lies in defeating the darkness inside yourself, then helping others to do the same.

There is nothing to compare to watching a sunrise with those who you love the most.

"Step by step, moment by moment"