Is puppeting a Tulpa really that bad?

KrabbyPatty

Hello everyone!

I am new to tulpamancy and was thinking about creating a tulpa. When I found out about ''puppeting'' I thought it was a really cool method since it wasn't boring and faster than regular methods.

But at the same time I heard that my Tulpa can become a Servitor if I do this, is this true? If yes can I prevent that somehow? 

If there is anyone who already created a Tulpa with puppeting, can you contact me? I have alot more questions to ask and I would appreciate if someone would answer them :)

Thanks in advance!

Sup.

I'm a soulbond (i.e., a type of accidental tulpa) who was developed mostly through parroting/puppeting. The guides that caution against that stuff are imo, a little outdated. Just puppet with the expectation that eventually they'll take the reins themselves, and you'll be fine.

Feel free to ask in-thread or shoot me a PM, whatever you need.

~ Member of SparrowNR's system ~

~ I am a soulbond. Click here to find out what that means. ~

KrabbyPatty

No, it isn't all that bad IMO.  I base this on the fact that many have written about having created their tulpas using puppeting/parroting.  There are even guides written about using puppeting, such as Fede's Ultimate Superior Tulpa Guide

So aren't there any cons on puppeting my Tulpa? I am really scared that it will turn out that I only have a servitor...

Guest Anonymous

Why? Even if you "got a servitor" a servitor can be turned into a tulpa. In fact, it might be a step along the way to a tulpa. I don't think that once you have a servitor you have a failed tulpa and you are now finished and fucked all to hell. However, I think the consensus of opinion is that puppeting can be detrimental if you go too far with it. Most suggest stopping the puppeting at some point, or occasionally, to give your tulpa a chance to exhibit independence and autonomy. The more autonomy you get, the less you should puppet.

This guide might help you understand where the line is between a servitor and a tulpa and put your mind at ease about that worry Servitor Creation Guide

A servitor isn't some dead-end branch path a tulpa can take. As far as I can tell, a servitor is basically a tulpa that wasn't given self-consciousness but otherwise developed like one, meaning autonomy and all that. Just like an imaginary friend, you could make that into a tulpa more easily than you could start anew. Servitors are usually made on purpose and were never intended to be "people", just autonomous thoughtforms.

Puppeting is fine. We honestly think some amount of puppeting is required to make any tulpa, aside from completely spontaneous ones. As long as you're intending for them to become sentient/autonomous/their own person, it could help. If you're not, then you've just got an imaginary friend, a fleshed-out person that isn't autonomous but controlled by you. But again, you can work on making them a tulpa from there.

Hi, I'm Tewi, one of Luminesce's tulpas. I often switch to take care of things for the others.

All I want is a simple, peaceful life. With my family.

Our Ask thread: https://community.tulpa.info/thread-ask-lumi-s-tulpas

Linkzelda

Nothing necessarily wrong with puppeting if you’re using it as a crutch to get things started. Every now and then, there may be some intention, or narrative a person wants to imagine of their tulpa. This could be how they want them to exist, how they should exhibit themselves (e.g. via deriving from personality traits), etc. But, to believe it can happen as a latent level of control beyond your conscious control is probably what scares some people with the whole servitor vs. tulpa, and servitor -> tulpa.

I think this fear, or rather, this confusion is due to clinging onto the narrative, while not knowing about it, that the unconscious thoughts and processes that may supplement one’s conscious control of a tulpa starts becoming personified, and said unconscious thoughts and processes are just as conscious as the conscious experiencer. But, one would have to question why a part of their mind that’s unconscious needs to be conscious to control something? And if parroting/puppeting isn’t exclusive to conscious control, like the definitions say by default, then to believe this personified unconscious thoughts/processes being conscious means to re-define the definitions themselves.

So, it gets chalked up, IMO, as analogous to a writer of a comic book that can make a super-hero, or villain as powerful as they want them to be. Because they control the narrative, they can decide when Batman suddenly has god-like powers, or regress him to a human being that can just use psychological playfulness to outsmart others. The same could be applied with tulpas: Each person can create their own benchmark of “correctness” of how sentient they want their tulpa to be, and sometimes, this liberation either paralyzes a person from going further, or, it becomes their source of inspiration.

And when others try to explain their own benchmark, you’ll get varied opinions, and as much as we want to talk about that “correctness,” there will be some nuances of what seems applicable to one person, and some just get lost in random noise. Add the fact that it’s tedious to even access a person’s experiences directly from a third person standpoint, it doesn’t make it as re-assuring for others who cannot take the burden of making their subjective choices in a world where there may not be an inherent meaning at all.

Hierophant
But at the same time I heard that my Tulpa can become a Servitor if I do this, is this true?

Not necessarily.

Puppeting is an okay path to take in developing a tulpa as long as you know when to stop after they gain sentience.

KrabbyPatty

Not necessarily.

Puppeting is an okay path to take in developing a tulpa as long as you know when to stop after they gain sentience.

When do I know that theyre sentience?

Guest Anonymous

When you, yourself, are convinced the tulpa is sentient. Then, to you, it is sentient. No one else can tell you if it really is or not. When it seems like it is sentient, and you think it is sentient, it is sentient. It's no more complicated than that.