A New System for Banning

Kiahdaj

While "But he started it!" isn't a legitimate excuse in the adult world, I am personally typically more harsh on the instigators. It of course depends entirely on the situation. There have been cases where I felt that a reaction was entirely justified, as much as I would have preferred they remain more calm and civil; I understand that no one is perfect. In the case of blatant harassment by another user, I may not have much blame for the "victim", if they get a little heated.

On the other hand, if someone receives a petty insult and blows up, responding completely disproportionately to the situation, while the instigator might be at fault for starting it, I can't help but fault the "victim" as well—maybe even more—when they take it far beyond an "appropriate" reaction to a bit of harshness.

Although this sort of thing doesn't really apply to the new system, unless one makes a habit of overreacting to little things. For a while, we had a 12-year-old user who would fairly regularly get offended and feel insulted over very minor things, which caused the whole chat to go to hell whenever she threw a tantrum about it. Some of what triggered her may well have been "not okay", but when it becomes a regular event that a user finds something to throw a fit about, that's the kind of thing that we might be making a vote on.

So when it comes to being a victim, you should only be concerned if you find regular reason to make yourself a victim, or you, with at least some considerable regularity, overreact to what may have been legitimate harassment. Which, I don't have any impression of the two of you (Floh and Cora), but from what you said, I do think it would do everyone some good to try to keep your disapproval about how Cora is treated toned down, when possible.

Also, it is worth mentioning that no user will be banned by this system without first having a talking to about their behavior. This will never come out of nowhere onto a user who had no idea they were doing something wrong.

And, because I don't want to turn this thread into a Karl's Ban thread, I will just go ahead and state for the record that he had been talked to multiple times in the past about his behavior. He had been banned before, and has had plenty of time to change his behavior. Which he certainly did improve some.

"If this can be avoided, it should. If it can't, then it would be better if it could be. If it happened and you're thinking back to it, try and think back further. Try not to avoid it with your mind. If any of this is possible, it may be helpful. If not, it won't be."

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I think we didn't meet very often on the chat, but my example was pure fiction ;)

We are both pretty non violent and very optimistic ::) You'll probably never have to talk with neither of us about our behaviour. Well maybe me if I'm on a bad day and someone pushes me a bit too much, but Cora 100% impossible.

About Karl, we talk with him quite a lot, and he always sends us back our politeness and goodwill. I think his ban is pretty much affect-driven, as most people on IRC seem to hate him ferociously but well, I don't have all the cards in hand !

I'm glad you made this thread and actually participated in it. It boosted my confidence towards you guys from the gods staff

(Cora: Maybe you are not that mean after all :3 As long as you don't permanently ban my Karl and I'm able to chat with him, I'm ok ! )

No animosity intended ever 

Cora now has her own account ! :D

English isn't our native language, please be indulgent :)