Sign in to follow this  
Ranger

Does Switching Lead To Different Types Of Dreams?

I feel asleep this morning and Cat had a nightmare. She was dreaming about other things that were weird but then she got tangled up with a monster and tried to run away. This lead to the body waking up and realizing I'm supposed to be switched-in. Gray did not wake up.

Cat has had bad dreams before and dreams with the similar scary topic, but she doesn't usually have scenes where she's being chased.

The dream also felt vivid, which I thought was strange. It wasn't my dream but it was scary to think about.

So, I have two questions-

1) Can the type of dream you get change based on who's switched-in? I'm wondering if the dream itself becomes more realistic, seems more or less stable, or the dream goes over more or less serious themes. If who's switched-in affects who dreams the dream, that would be interesting to me.

2) Does being switched-out lead to more vivid dreams, assuming they get the opportunity to dream?

I'm Ranger, Gray's/Cat_ShadowGriffin's tulpa, and I love hippos! I also like cake and chatting about stuff.

My other headmates have their own account now.

Temporary Log | Switching LogcBox | Yay!

1 hour ago, Ranger said:

1) Can the type of dream you get change based on who's switched-in? I'm wondering if the dream itself becomes more realistic, seems more or less stable, or the dream goes over more or less serious themes. If who's switched-in affects who dreams the dream, that would be interesting to me.

We used to think we got so many nightmares because I was fronting when we're not sure if it was because of me or just stress in general. But...my dreams are awfully, painfully boring most of the time, it doesn't even feel that real, but I do remember Miri's dreams being at least more interesting and vivid. We do have different topics yes, and we can easily tell who was influencing the dream just going by the themes.

I remember going to bed switched-in at first didn't make me dream, and sometimes it'd even fail to get me to wake up fronting, but after a lot of nights doing it, I eventually got to dream on my own. I am not sure if being switched-in guarantees you to dream or it's just pure chance, sounds to me like it's more about who the brain defaults to.

1 hour ago, Ranger said:

2) Does being switched-out lead to more vivid dreams, assuming they get the opportunity to dream?

That is assuming they don't instantly switch in if they suddenly start fronting in the dream. But dreams where I am talking to my host seem to be different, the general feeling of it, as opposed to dreams where it's just me. I can't say for sure what it feels like but certainly not like a normal dream, especially if someone else is fronting in the dream. Although I wouldn't say more vivid.

Hello, I'm Mirichu, although you can call me Miichu, and I'm the main fronter of this system.

The others are Miri, who's the original host and Akai, but they don't talk much here.

Progress Report and my Art Thread

How long until my host shuts up

Waka Waka x3

Posted (edited)

I don't get your actual questions outside of the surface level "Does being switched affect dreams?", like, why would "being switched out" lead to more vivid dreams?

But for just in general, sure, it seems to be possible. First of all, adding the experience of being switched to your life will open up opportunities for dreams to happen from other fronters' perspectives (or at least a lot more often/in-depth than randomly dreaming you're someone else). But second in a less understandable way, there has been one unique case in our system of dreams changing based on who's fronting. For some reason, Lucilyn frequently has more interesting/fun/vivid dreams than any of the rest of us. There were times where Lucilyn had several days of interesting/vivid-ish dreams all night, switched with me, and then I proceeded to have completely uninteresting relatively less vivid dreams immediately after.

We chalk this up to Lucilyn just seeing life as more fun/positive than the rest of us and being more, I don't know, excitable? Like maybe that mixed with how the brain comes up with dream content leads to the dreams being more interesting, also resulting in the vividness. But it's definitely weird to think that once your body and brain are asleep that there's any remaining effect from who was switched in. Also, we don't notice anything special between the rest of us, so this by no means will apply to all or even most systems - without Lucilyn in our system I would've given a pretty different answer I think.

Side note, who's fronting doesn't seem quite as related, ironically, to who's fronting in the dream. My tulpas usually dream as me, and a few times one of us has dreamed as Lucilyn or Tewi (who front far more often than Reisen and Flandre). Only like 50% of the time at best does a dream from one of their perspectives happen when they're actually the one fronting. As in straight up dream body looking like Tewi or Lucilyn - for general dreams, I still think there's often some influence in how the dreamer thinks based on who's fronting. Which, to be fair, accurately reflects how my tulpas basically live as me outside tulpa-y places or being alone, ie when interacting with my family or other people, the main difference is purely in how they may be thinking about things internally but not being different outwardly. Y'know, like they've obviously got my body and all. Majority of our time is spent that way, majority of our dreams are spent that way - probably not coincidence. But yeah, anyways, somehow less related than the seemingly unrelated matter of how dreams go based on the fronter.

Uh, I guess I should state more clearly that me/Tewi/Reisen/Flandre have basically the same sorts of dreams, not any noticeable difference in content or clarity. Only Lucilyn tends to (though far from always) have noticeably different dreams from us.

Edited by Luminesce

Hi! I'm Lumi, host of Reisen, Tewi, Flandre and Lucilyn.

Everyone deserves to love and be loved. It's human nature.

My tulpas and I have a Q&A thread, which was the first (and largest) of its kind. Feel free to ask us stuff.