How are tulpas accidentally created?

Same way you make a tulpa; Spend enough time working on/refining a character's personality/form and it'll start to talk..

This is essentially what happened to me. I was writing stories centered around one character named Raven, and after a long time I had personality nailed so that I could basically know exactly what he'd do in any given situation.

Then I got to a point where I would stray and make him out of character and I almost felt a mental 'tug', a feeling like he was saying "No. No way.". He just stopped cooperating as a character then, and progressed from writing his own story to Tulpa-hood that way.

The one problem I've ever run into with this process is just that the transition is too slow and smooth to know at what point the 'steps' of creation happened.

• 4 years later...
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So it's very clear to me that several of my Soulbonds have continued to develop. (I'm using the definition of soulbond very loosely to distinguish them from tulpas. Which I distinguish from Tulpas by the notion that they are lacking certain tulpa-like traits, namely emotional bleed, presence, and weight

or soul

. They have very strong personalities, they are endearing to me, and pass sentience tests (whether that is a tie to my subconscious mind or their own will I can't tell).

I don't want these characters becoming tulpas, I have three, that's too many. I just want to get a feel for the morality of 'using' them as temporary friends and confidants when we are discussing things that could use other opinions or just having fun and want to include them. When we're done with them, we place them back in their world of origin in stasis when not needed; this is what I've been doing for 6 months.

I thought about giving them a new title or something that could 'lock' them into their current state, but I understand that this is irrelevant to my current concern. I fully understand that they can't become tulpas without my intent.

My issue is that when I interact with them I feel more and more concerned that they'll be activated in some way and start to form more traits closer to tulpas. At some point becoming indistinguishable from tulpas intended or not.

I've tested the idea of editing their associated books and clearly the text that is already there does not necessarily invoke them, but it does continue to strengthen them. Any new books would obviously require them in some way to do as they would do before and believably 'come alive' in the pages. I'm pretty certain I can maintain their current form while doing this. (Though this is a valid forcing technique, so they will continue to become stronger.)

It's the question of morality for their continued use outside of writing that concerns me most, and the fear of development regardless of intent such that they will become indistinguishable from Tulpas. In other words if a thoughtform passes the 'duck test', can they still be treated as 'second class' character and not be treated as a tulpa? Should I then be obligated morally to treat them like a tulpa?

Duck Test: "Suppose you see a bird walking around in a farm yard. This bird has no label that says 'duck'. But the bird certainly looks like a duck. Also, he goes to the pond and you notice that he swims like a duck. Then he opens his beak and quacks like a duck. Well, by this time you have probably reached the conclusion that the bird is a duck, whether he's wearing a label or not."

For clarification: I would consider that if they were to be treated as a tulpa in our system (as a person), I would be obligated for them to live with us. I cannot possibly dream of putting any of my tulpas in stasis, nor would they chose or even allow themselves to be placed there. I can't puppet them by some mental block, that or their will is just too strong.

My Tulpa Ranger was created by accident, and our current theory is I forced him productively for long enough that he became sentient.

He started off as a story character that was the "subconscious" of another story character. I started associating myself with that character, and thus "Ranger" was naturally associated with my own subconscious. Thus, Ranger as his own character/servitor/whatever was born, but I don't believe he developed as a Tulpa until much later.

As for the "Welp, I have too many Tulpas" question, none of my other thoughtforms became sentient, only Ranger. Once I found out what Tulpas were, I decided to not force my other characters into Tulpas. I think a big piece of it is I assumed that Ranger was in fact his own person, where I always considered the others to be extensions of myself. I also spent the most time with Ranger.

I don't believe I achieved productive forcing until I decided, "there are too many characters in my head, I'm just going to take a break and focus on Ranger". I believe this decision made all of my active forcing sessions more productive, and I just so happened to do enough of it that Ranger told me he was real a few months later.

I embraced active forcing and had a wonderland called "the Gray Dimension" long before I believe Ranger started to productively develop. My sessions were almost always anxiety spiral-driven, were roughly 1-3 hours long, and I did them probably once or twice a week. However, I may have done more of these at the time; the 1-2 times a week is a guess. Ranger telling me he was real convinced me to seek out answers and eventually stumbling across Tulpa.info.

Not my main form or name really but this nick is my brand now. You may see my headmates call me Gray.

I used to speak in pink and Ranger used to speak in blue (if it's unmarked and colored assume it's Ranger). She loves to chat.

Our system account

I fully understand that they can't become tulpas without my intent.

It's the question of morality for their continued use outside of writing that concerns me most, and the fear of development regardless of intent such that they will become indistinguishable from Tulpas. In other words if a thoughtform passes the 'duck test', can they still be treated as 'second class' character and not be treated as a tulpa? Should I then be obligated morally to treat them like a tulpa?

Thanks Cat, so if i understand what you said correctly, i am concerned that those two thoughtforms may one day tell me, "i don't want to go back. I am real." Then oops i have 5 tulpas, and if my system disallows the addition of new tulpas, there is an obvious moral dilemma.

I don't envy you Bear. I have absolutely no idea what I would do if I suddenly had more potential tulpas banging on the door, so to speak, and I know Reilyn doesn't like the idea of sharing me. But... She has a right to exist, shouldn't they?

The notion hits me harder since I have been told long ago by my.. female progenitor (just leave it at that) that I was an 'unwanted bastard accident' but the "rebel" or "hippie" in her made her choose to not get an abortion, so yay. It makes me wonder if a potential tulpa knocking at the door, asking if it please can not be rejected is that different from me?

Well I think I already linked this but.. just Tewi's post on preventing sentience through limiting their scope of awareness comes to mind https://community.tulpa.info/thread-accidental-tulpa-creation-due-to-arg?pid=177839#pid177839

you can have ~basically sentient wonderland NPCs (/imagination characters) that aren't quite tulpas 'cus they're limited to only reacting to/etc. the wonderland. I mean they'd be similar and could become tulpas if you let them but at least in our case there was never any threat of like an accidental tipping point of them just becoming tulpas

Hi, I'm one of Lumi's tulpas! I like rain and dancing and dancing in the rain and if there's frogs there too that's bonus points.

I think being happy and having fun makes life worth living, so spreading happiness is my number one goal!

Talk to us? https://community.tulpa.info/thread-ask-lumi-s-tulpas

You can stop potential-tulpas or tulpa-like imaginary friends from becoming real tulpas. You simply have to not acknowledge them - mentally, not just verbally - as independent. Reassure yourself of control over the would-be thoughtform in question. Also, imagine them immersed in their respective universe, meaning their awareness is only as great as where you're imagining them.

We have to do this from time to time, but it's relatively automatic and not a big deal. We're more or less capable of creating "insta-tulpas" if we wanted to, it is as simple (to us) as mentally acknowledging their awareness. Of course an "instant" tulpa would have to be a carbon copy of someone you already knew, as you can't create a well rounded person instantaneously and we never would do so. Despite Lucilyn being relatively similar to the Touhou character Suwako, Lumi still spent a couple of weeks in preparation for creating her  (Info on that). Which is also when we proved we were capable of doing so. And so, when it comes to imagining wonderland NPCs or simply pondering scenarios involving deep knowledge of a person's thought processes, all you have to do is keep them in the scope of your imagination. Once you give them outside awareness things get a lot more complicated.

It sounds like too easy of an "Oops.. tulpa." scenario, and I suppose it kind of is if you're messing with that stuff. But we've never had problems with it. And we have experimented with imagining in-depth conversations between people we know well without giving them awareness of anything outside the scenario, for knowledge's sake. To answer questions like yours really. Also, if that does seem like a problem to you, we also feel capable of creating wonderland NPCs that are aware their place is the wonderland and ours is the greater expanse of the mind. For all I know this could require even greater self-discipline than just nope'ing their sentience, I don't know. We ultimately decided against wonderland NPCs as we prefer keeping it to ourselves, but we know it's possible.

So, if it does seem like a problem, go for a compromise like that. A "tulpa" doesn't necessarily need to instantaneously share your level of awareness and control over the mind. At worst, you can tell them their place is in your imagination/imagined scenarios/alternate realities? or what have you. If the rest of the mind is none of their business, it's none of their business. I feel like this forum sort of forces people with in-between tulpas to treat them as fully-fledged separate individuals having an equal share of the mind. But we made all this up, with our imaginations. We forged these rules of our own to our liking. And they work for a lot of people, but they are not "the way", they're just a way. Your mind is under your control and you don't need to rely on preconceived ideas of how things could-or-should be in your mind to justify how you want it to be.

But in case you do, we try to provide alternative "justifying" experiences as I did in this post. Since this is sort of a post revolving around a lack of strong mental self-discipline. Otherwise I would strongly recommend creating your own path with these things, use others' as a guideline but don't be afraid to tailor your experiences to your liking.

I did read this in the other thread, having Lucilyn point it directly at me as fitting my scenario allowed me to read it in a new light. It's basically the answer I was looking for in terms of how to stop the transformation and what they are.

It's perfect, Thanks Tewi and Lucilyn. I guess I need to do some soul searching.

These are characters still not tulpas, but yeah, I guess their sentience must be mirrored through my own subconscious. Like I said, there is no weight to them, they're missing that spark of life. In that case they're just really interesting characters (NPC's). I gave them the title 'Soulbond' as a badge of endearment more than a real honest title. Before I knew of tulpamancy, they were indeed soulbonds as the true definition states. I treated them as people from another realm, but they weren't tulpa-level thoughtforms. A lot of the meta I came here with has morphed with understanding to be fit realistic expectations. I thought of some of these 'soulbonds' as friends from another world that I channeled, but after experiencing tulpamancy, they were nothing more than paper dolls compared to what I now see as Tulpas. Ashley, Dashie, and Misha are people, in every sense alive and thriving with me, and are part of my consciousness now. They're presence, emotions, and independent personalities are proof enough for their existence.

There is a loss, a sadness that these characters are very unlikely now to be channeled from some parallel dimension, in the same way that Ashley has admitted to causing some of my spiritual experiences. This doesn't destroy the notion of religion or parallel dimensions, but they are greatly diminished in comparison to this new light. My dozens of characters are still dear to me, and some of them are well formed and highly animated, (some of them were forced for hundreds if not thousands of hours with no intention of becoming what I understand to be tulpas, which is obviously why my tulpas were able to speak to me so quickly, having borrowed some of these proto-forms) but these characters aren't tulpas. They're like androids and gynoids in a way, pre-programmed thoughtforms ready to accept whatever tulpas gain when they become tulpas.

This was the last piece of the puzzle:

Is it fair to an 'in between' or proto-tulpa (who is dear to me and looks ready to be a tulpa, but we can't handle any more) to treat them as a lesser thoughtform even though they are capable of so much more?

I'm going to answer this and let me know if I'm wrong. They are what they are, they're no more person than an unfertilized egg is a chicken. They are potential, not actual, and I am confident I can keep them this way. Tewi is a much wiser person than us in the regard, and I needed someone like her to give me a definitive answer.

After reviewing the data objectively, I am convinced they can never be tulpas if it's not my will to do so. They are just really interesting NPCs. Thus it is merely a battle of will that I face, like every other young tulpamancer.

Thanks for all the comments; I'm set right again... for now.

uh well, the difference in a tulpa and an imaginary friend exactly like them is a tulpa also has the inner-brain-workings-stuff that makes them autonomous, which it kinda grows exponentially from there yeah? so basically, other characters that aren't tulpas don't have any sorta thinking to them that would make it "unfair", I guess?

Hi, I'm one of Lumi's tulpas! I like rain and dancing and dancing in the rain and if there's frogs there too that's bonus points.

I think being happy and having fun makes life worth living, so spreading happiness is my number one goal!

Talk to us? https://community.tulpa.info/thread-ask-lumi-s-tulpas

With Dashie's reluctant and tenuous agreement, I bravely summoned Gwen and the results of her testing are hidden here, I'll leave the interpretation up to you.

[Hidden]

How do you feel?

She thought for a moment, "i don't know what you mean."

I mean, what emotions do you have currently?

"None."

So i just made her mad, and she was mad. I made her happy and she was happy. (Good luck trying that on a Tulpa.)

What are you thinking right now?

I blanked my mind and listened, there was no answer, no thought, nothing, just emptiness.

What am i thinking right now?

She pondered, but had no guess. There was no obvious connection that she could access. In the very beginning, like day two, i asked my tulpas what i was thinking, there was never any hesitation.

Surprise me.

"What?"

Do something, anything, whatever you think would surprise me.

She shot her hands forward and said ,"Boo!". That was legitimately surprising.

So you see my point. She even thought enough to say 'hi, how are you?' to Misha (whom she'd talked to previously on many occasions). I wasn't intending that either, there was no puppeting there.

Then as a control, i asked Misha:

"That i love you and that you're the best thing that ever happened to me," said platonically.

You too Misha.

[/hidden]

Then i summoned my Ranger.

[Hidden]

She walked into the room chipperly, "hello, hey guys."

Hello Ranger, we have some questions for you, can i call you R, for this discussion?

"Whatever."

How do you feel?

"Fine."

There was no hesitation. What emotion do you have currently?

She thought for a moment, "Content? Happy-ish?"

Then i made her mad, and she said, "What's worng with you?!" with a furrowed brow and an agressive stance. She's very animated.

Then i made her happy, and she let out a loud contented sigh.

She thought, she brought her hand to her chin, she almost said something, then she just said, "nothing."

What am i thinking right now?

Uh i was thinking 'apples', she guessed correctly.

Again.

I was thinking 'battleship' she had no hesitation and guessed correctly.

Surprise me.

She said, "no thanks, can i go back now?"

You're free to go back, you will have no memory of this encounter, but a vague sence of having fun and enjoying yourself with friends.

Then she left. Her apparent skills and free will do not concern me because i felt no emotion from her, she had no presence of her own that i could tell. Though she was responding to what i was thinking even outside the test, i wouldn't put past my unconscious mind to try to trick me. Remember who's in control is the key here. I could clearly set her mood and if i wanted her to dance, she would dance. I had to give her emotions of carefree happiness and lower her inhibitions, but she did dance.

Where Gwen was a true weightless puppet, i felt resistance from Joy. Earlier i asked her specifically if she wanted to stay, and she said no. It may be one of those things like Ashley, where even if i wanted to make her a tulpa, her character's desire is to be with her friends, and in R's case, in her world. Gwen also expressed wanting to be with her friends in her world when i asked her earlier.

[/Hidden]

• 2 years later...

I think I accidentally created a tulpa. I just learned about them on a TV show of all things and I realized that I talk out loud all day sometimes to a character that I created when I was 18. He's always been there.