Am I Going About This the Right Way?

Guest Riy

Guest Riy

I'm very new to the Tulpa concept.

For the past several days I've been meditating to try and discover a shape for my Tulpa. Now during these sessions I've had visions of myself walking through a burning forest and coming across a budding plant.

I've taken that plant into a thought-space and it's starting to grow and react to my actions.

But is this something that can be called a Tulpa, or am I still just visualizing and "meditating" rather than shaping and forming?

Any help or advice on this is very much appreciated. Below I will put a link to my progress report and I look forward to people replies.

Cheers, and take care.

http://community.tulpa.info/thread-riy-s-progress-report

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Howdy!

I have never made a full on Tulpa yet myself - it's a work in progress. However I have experienced the sort of thing you are talking about - where I "see" in my mind's eye a situation unfold or a new setting come into play with things to interact with. Like your burning forest and this plant.

First - could it become a tulpa? Yes. The meditation helps you learn to focus it, and if you work to impose it it could become one. This seems a tricky process sort of like training oneself to lucid dream by looking at one's hands me thinks.

Second - It might be worth exploring why the forest is on fire and what it feels like/ means to you. I would also encourage you to let the budding plant grow on it's terms and see what you get. It's got the makings of meaningful symbolism for you, plus the emotional investment in it might help toward making it a full on tulpa for you.

~Wielder of the Sacred Spatula~

Guest Riy

Howdy!

I have never made a full on Tulpa yet myself - it's a work in progress. However I have experienced the sort of thing you are talking about - where I "see" in my mind's eye a situation unfold or a new setting come into play with things to interact with. Like your burning forest and this plant.

First - could it become a tulpa? Yes. The meditation helps you learn to focus it, and if you work to impose it it could become one. This seems a tricky process sort of like training oneself to lucid dream by looking at one's hands me thinks.

Second - It might be worth exploring why the forest is on fire and what it feels like/ means to you. I would also encourage you to let the budding plant grow on it's terms and see what you get. It's got the makings of meaningful symbolism for you, plus the emotional investment in it might help toward making it a full on tulpa for you.

Thank you for the quick reply and good info!

I normally don't put a lot of meaning or symbolism into things. I rarely (if ever) dream when I sleep, and when I do it's normally about the past days events or something similar.

Since I've started meditating I have taken a growing interest in learning about what I'm seeing 'means'. The point of me doing this in the first place was not because of one singular reason, but because of several. To name a few:

-I'm on the road a lot and have a lot of time to myself

-My job can be very busy and demanding, this seems like a healthy way to balance out tension

-The area I live in is remote and this seems like a legitimate way to have a friend that can "always be there" (for lack of better term).

After some research, the vivid session I had tells a lot, and most of it is not good.

Now I'm taking this with a MASSIVE pillar of salt, but the general meaning behind my experience is thus:

*The burning forest is an allegory for my 'crumbling life', I've lost contact with most of my family and friends, I'm somewhat depressed, my life is burning around me

*The slope / mountain I was on signifies the possibility of me being able to 'rise up' or 'fall further' depending on my actions

*The budding plant is a symbol of hope in my subconscious, the fact that it reached for me shows that it's willing and wanting to continue living.

Now this paints a somewhat dreadful picture if we look at it from a purely symbolic standpoint. I mean my subconscious has basically told me I'm close to ruin. Whether I think that's true or not isn't really relevant I think.

But it does make me ask if I'm trying to create and form a tulpa for the 'right' reasons.

I mean I'll admit, I'm lonely, I want companionship (more so than what a dog could provide, I couldn't afford a dog anyways), and an escape from my life.

I very much would like to allow this to grow, but does knowing WHY I want it to grow sort of pervert the whole thing, or does it help it along?

As always I look forward to replies, cheers.

Everyone has their reasons for having a tulpa. Most of them will feel selfish, but that doesn't stop them from being good reasons. Knowing why you are doing something will probably work out better for you than not knowing why. It will also harden your resolve to see it through. Trust me, there will be days where you will be thankful for that.

You sound confused because you don't know if the path you are walking down is a good one. If you stand in the middle of a forest and walk in any direction, you will eventually end up outside of it. You will experience different things (good and bad) on the way, but there's always going to be that light at the end. You just need to keep walking. (And if you are somewhat doubtful of that metaphor, I will say that you are doing just fine from my point of view.)

Guest Riy

Everyone has their reasons for having a tulpa. Most of them will feel selfish, but that doesn't stop them from being good reasons. Knowing why you are doing something will probably work out better for you than not knowing why. It will also harden your resolve to see it through. Trust me, there will be days where you will be thankful for that.

You sound confused because you don't know if the path you are walking down is a good one. If you stand in the middle of a forest and walk in any direction, you will eventually end up outside of it. You will experience different things (good and bad) on the way, but there's always going to be that light at the end. You just need to keep walking. (And if you are somewhat doubtful of that metaphor, I will say that you are doing just fine from my point of view.)

Thank you for this post.

I've chewed on this pretty much non-stop for the past two days and I agree with what you've said, knowing why is better than not knowing why.

It's because of my newness to this I know, but having a plant as a tulpa seems very strange to me. Granted I'm sure many people have all sorts of seemingly 'strange' or 'bizarre' forms but I'm wondering where this will lead.

I mean I can't really imagine a tree or a bush riding in the truck next to me, or walking down the street.

This is, of course, wayyyyyy forward thinking as I've done very little more than 'play' with it in my thought-place I've made, but it is a concern of mine and I'm curious as to what sort of paths of creation this can take.

As always, cheers.

Tulpas can always shapeshift. There is no reason why your tulpa couldn't take a more humanoid form, be an ent/treant, etc. A tulpa's form limits them in ways only their creator or they choose.

As for plants being a unique form: no, we actually recently had a member join who was making a tree-formed tulpa (Ashmo's girlfriend, Evermore).

I mean I can't really imagine a tree or a bush riding in the truck next to me, or walking down the street.

What about Ficus from the TV Series Quark, or a dryad from Greek myth? They were both plants, but also sentient, humanoid, and generally helpful.

If you choose to to make a tulpa then meditation is a very helpful practice. Also, form is just a disguise to some tulpa. Considering some tulpas here (see my avatar), a plant is not really unusual.

Please consider supporting Tulpa.info.

Guest Riy

What about Ficus from the TV Series Quark, or a dryad from Greek myth? They were both plants, but also sentient, humanoid, and generally helpful.

If you choose to to make a tulpa then meditation is a very helpful practice. Also, form is just a disguise to some tulpa. Considering some tulpas here (see my avatar), a plant is not really unusual.

I think you bring up a fair point and that this highlights just how 'beginnerish' I am.

I guess you could say I was nipping this in the bud too soon.

*Pause for hilarious laughter*

But in all seriousness I am eager to continue with this and to let it grow (no pun intended that time). I can see a serious dichotomy happening here as I upgrade from a thought-place to a projection stage. I live in the Dakotas where it can get very, very cold. I find it peculiar and fascinating to see what sort of form this takes.

As always I do not intend to force (in the literal sense of the term) the shape to be anything, instead allowing it to follow gradual changes and paths.

Thanks again for the posts and info, if you have any other advice or tips for me at this stage please do not hesitate to share.

As always I look for ward to your replies, cheers.

Talking about symbolism, something popped to mind;

What if a plant tulpa means that, since you move around a lot, you might want something with "fixed roots" to always come back to? It's just a thought. Of course you'll find a way to carry it around with you, but the image of "groundly" things are somewhat comforting to those that move non-stop; right? :)

-R.

"Myths are public dreams, dreams are private myths" -Joseph Campbell

Guest Riy

Talking about symbolism, something popped to mind;

What if a plant tulpa means that, since you move around a lot, you might want something with "fixed roots" to always come back to? It's just a thought. Of course you'll find a way to carry it around with you, but the image of "groundly" things are somewhat comforting to those that move non-stop; right? :)

I think this is quite insightful, actually.

There's quite a lot of allegory and metaphor present here; and that's an interesting aspect to look at it in. I mean fires in forests are necessary as they recycle peat and prevent overgrowth, the left over matter allows for rebirth, the list goes on.

While I'm at these forming stages I'm trying to take a somewhat passive role, being present to watch it take shape but not necessarily going at it with a hammer and chisel.

Is this an effective method do you think? Or should I be taking a more active role at this stage? I wouldn't like for it to grow wholly dependent on me but at the same time I am hoping for a bit of autonomy here.

Cheers, and as always thank you for the replies.