Creating a tulpa and age of the host

Weer

Yeah, the "personality rarely changes after xx years" is a bit too bold claim. Of course, most of the turmoil and "finding yourself" happens while you are teen, but your personality keeps molding as life and time goes by for a lifetime and major life-changing events (trauma, becoming a parent, retiring from work and anything that causes introspection to ensue) can change it quite radically. I was more concerned on neuroplasticity.

If you are the kind if person who engages in fantasy, creativity and keeps your brain active there is no reason to think that a young person would be anymore equipped to handle the task of tulpa making then an older one but again it's all dependent on the brain.

A child's brain is like playdough, allowing them to easily adapt to any task and learn new things like languages extremely fast. If an older adult has never gone through the same (only familiar with just one language) or similar process that might have built necessary neural framework in advance, they will face more difficulty.

I guess analogy for adult brain would be it turning slowly from playdough to clay, it needs to be soft to be moldable. To do that you need to keep adding water, in form of activity that challenges the brain to adapt. Like Amber5885 said, engaging in fantasy, creative and whatnot will help to bridge the gap :)

I'm 29, and I don't think I've had any unusual difficulty so far. I haven't done imposition yet though.

I'd be interested in hearing the ages at which people finished imposition.

I am 29 myself and it's good to hear not all hope is lost :p

Now that Sushi mentioned, I would also be very interested on any input about age and imposition. Seeing/feeling/etc something that really isn't there is quite a feat for the brain to try to accomplish. I would assume that especially in the case of imposition, young tulpamancers can do it much faster if not altogether more convincing results than adults who might have already passed a "critical period".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Critical_period_hypothesis

For example, so-called "feral child", Victor of Aveyron, spent most of his life without any human contact. He was found at the age of 11 or 12 and couldn't never learn to speak although it's hard to say what was the real reason for this as existing cases are far and few.

Of 73 Tulpamancers tested on this question, only 37% reported that their Tulpas felt “as real as a physical person”, while 50.6 % described their mental companions as “somewhat real - distinct from physical persons, but distinct from [their] own thoughts”

The median length of Tulpamancy experience for these respondents was one year. Tulpamancers with 2+ years of experience reported higher degrees of synesthetic experience, including 4.6% claiming “extremely real” phenomena, where Tulpas were “indistinguisable from any other agent or person” and heard “outside” their hosts’ heads.

I would like to see if there is any correlation with the host's age and "realness" of tulpa.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest amber5885

I'm 29 and Toby feels incredibly real to me. I have touch imposition down to the point where it feels like a real other person when he does things like rub my back or hug me.

Sound is so so and sight is not so much. I actuall don't even know where to begin with sight honestly.

I'm still new to it (8 days in)

Progress is slow.

Eight days is nothing. I've been a 'mancing for just under a year and a half and it is still hit or miss with me. Sometimes forcing goes most excellently, and other times it feels like backwards progress. Things have vastly improved for both tulpas since starting possession, but even still, some days are simply better than others. Remember that the Tibetan monks would spends years working on their tulpas. Again, 8 days is nothing.

For the record, I am 26, and if I had to venture a guess, I'd say the amount or quantity of forcing has had more of an effect on my tulpa's development than my age. Some days I simply do not have time to active force after I get off work, or I'm too tired to stay awake when I find time, or some other business demands my attention, but I try to passive force whenever possible.

Some background on my tulpas, hidden for people who aren't interested in some guy's tupperware collection:

[hidden]My primary tulpa (Iris) is sentient and vocal, and occasionally imposed. She's better at possession than her sister tulpa, and her personality is more developed. My secondary tulpa (Seraphim) is much better at imposition, but her personality is less-developed than Iris. She is quiet and withdrawn, and she will rarely speak unless spoken to, though how much of this is due to her personality (is she a bit of an introvert?) and how much of this due to her not being as developed as Iris is anyone's guess. She's not telling me, in any case.

Iris was created in April of last year (so she's under 18 months old), while Seraphim was created in November of that year (though she spent a month or so in stasis while I needlessly worried about my brain cranking out tulpas at breakneck pace before I got my shit together and stopped worrying).

As far as their forms go, Iris' form is based off of a composition of several images (OC doughnut-steel) while Sera's form is based off a modified, pre-existing image, or rather a collection of images. (incidentally, I think this explains why Sera's so much better at imposition than Iris -- her form is available for me to look at whenever I want whereas Iris' form only exists in my head).

I've only tried imposing touch and sight so far, but not scent or taste or sound. My main focus has been on their sentience and vocality (and personality, to a lesser extent -- I figured I'd let them their personalities on their own), with everything else far less a priority. [/hidden]

In summary, I wouldn't say tulpamancy has been difficult so much as it has been slow, but progress is progress.

Oh, and to my knowledge I have never had anything resembling an imaginary friend prior to tulpamancing.

Guest amber5885

I count myself incredibly lucky to have had Toby as long as I did. Progress was quick with us just because he's been around so long. But I read all of your stories about Working at it for weeks or months and only having the smallest progress and my heart melts. I wish there was a way to have an insta tulpa but I guess the process bonds you and your tulpa so it's nice in a way

I dunno, I think that sometimes adults can be discouraged from being creative when most work a desk job. But then again I have four desks to sit at every day. I found that things like art, acting, singing, and dancing (all of which are things I do often) help a lot. I think I kinda got that when my parents always talked about my future as if I was going to be working in an office my whole life trying desperately to retire early. I kind of made it a mission of mine not to end up like that. I'm a rebelious child in a good way.

Guest amber5885

Personally I think most adults loose their creativity when they're told that beig an adult requires them to act in a certain way.

People loose that wonder and excitement that we had as kids and with it our imagination. We adapt this belief that life is oh my god so seriouse! We forget how to play, how to laugh, how to relax and just have fun.

We forget that it doesn't matter how hard you try you're not getting out alive and that's okay.

That's why I like tulpas. Maybe if the "adults" of the world would stop for a second an remember how to have fun or how to play the world would be a nicer place to live.

But that's just me

Yeah, I'm already seeing that happen to kids at my school. That's why I want to act, a professional pretender. I'll get to keep having fun and I get to be rich! I like that outcome. Plus I'm always a favorite in my theater classes, it seems the other kids just want easy As and don't try, they seem so boring, they don't show emotion, they don't try fun voices for characters, it makes me look like a fool when we perform, but what makes it easy for me is I just try. (did I mention I'm not very modest?)

I'm 15 and, while it is difficult at times, I find it... maybe not easy, but not super difficult. My biggest problem is that I tend to get sidetracked and stop visualizing my wonderland/tulpa a LOT. For example, I was showing Markus a yo-yo that I'd had when I was younger and I was suddenly thinking about memories from when I'd gotten it and not about Markus at all.

Markus is the tulpa, and I don't really have anything else to say.

Markus speaks in Blue!