Lacquer

Tulpas and Tulpa-like Things in the Media

Not sure if this has already been mentioned but, Future Diary has some tulpa references in it. I just began watching it and the main character Yuki has 2 imaginary friends. In the episodes I've watched so far I noted that he is able to switch and go into an entirely different world at will. This closely resembles how most (including myself) are able to enter and even switch with their tulpa to go to our wonderlands.

In the show, they are referred to as imaginary friends but, it appears they are something more seeing as he can interact with them to the point of physical contact.

Of course, considering how Japan is (and has been for quite some time now) aware of tulpa, I doubt this comes off as unbelievable in the slightest.

Just thought I'd put this in here even if it is irrelevant...... ┐('~`;)┌

I thought about the PrANs in the game AIKA Online can be considered sort of tulpas as well.

They are always around you, but enemies can't attack or even see them in game (others can of course), you need to spend time with them to evolve from a little fairy in a mature teenager and they can (and usually will) refuse to cast a spell when you ask them.

>mfw this game is from 2008 and STILL kicking it.

>still best in-game "pet" system ever since ;)

From tv tropes posted earlier

>can be seen and heard by others, and can affect the world around them. It may come about accidentally, by someone who doesn't realize their Reality Warper powers, or may be created intentionally by one or more people with the hope of it becoming real in order to do things the creator couldn't

>The word comes from certain branches of Buddhism, in which a tulpa is an object (usually a living creature) which is brought into existence by sheer will and concentration. In internet culture, a tulpa is part of a belief system in which people intentionally treat their imaginary friends as sentient beings.

Wat.

Even in TV shows tulppers like dexters father are not seen by others and don't affect any physical objects.

I also like the dichotomy between Buddhism and Internet forcing. Like one requires concentration and the other 'jest happens'

A man's felicity consists not in the outward and visible blessing of fortune, but in the inward and unseen perfections and riches of the mind.

-Thomas Carlyle

Well it *is* TV tropes, after all, so take it with a grain of salt, if you will.

Tulpa: Adryan Form: Anthro wolf-ish Stage: *sighs loudly*

“Human beings can always be relied on to assert, with vigor, their god-given right to be stupid”

-Dean Koontz

“In the end, I worry that my arrogance shall destroy us all”

-Brandon Sanderson

Oh I concur, it just seems lazy if they're going to just rephrase what wiki said in the first place and then change it all up.

A man's felicity consists not in the outward and visible blessing of fortune, but in the inward and unseen perfections and riches of the mind.

-Thomas Carlyle

In the book Red Dragon, Francis Dolarhyde has a tulpa that is the "Red Dragpn"

It could be construed as an alter-ego, but Dolarhyde constantly mentions the Red Dragon and him bring Two and their separateness.

Tulpa: Adryan Form: Anthro wolf-ish Stage: *sighs loudly*

“Human beings can always be relied on to assert, with vigor, their god-given right to be stupid”

-Dean Koontz

“In the end, I worry that my arrogance shall destroy us all”

-Brandon Sanderson

Not sure if this has been mentioned but in Dexter his Dad appears to him and the further in the seasons go he seems to act more and more like a tulpa. He seems to have independent and disagreeing thoughts to Dexter.

It only just occured to me, and admittedly they're not strictly-speaking tulpas at all as technically they are highly advanced computer programs, but the Freelancers' AI partners in Red vs. Blue come across as very tulpa-like. They are separate intelligences that are paired to each Freelancer operative, able to communicate with their user and offer their own opinions and appraisals of situations. And I'm not sure if ALL AIs can do this, but Omega/O'Malley at least is able to 'switch' with his 'host', although he does it by force rather than by consent

Thunderfall (goes by Thunder)

Male human

Melody

Female lamia