Tulpas and Tulpa-like Things in the Media

Lacquer

Well, my girlfriend and I have been watching Fringe. We're only up to episode 8, but the main character totally has a tulpa who helps her to investigate crimes.

In the pilot episode, her boyfriend (a fellow agent) is dying, and the only way she can rescue him his by going into a shared dream with him. She saves his life, but he dies later in the episode anyway. Then in episode 5, his memories, which passed into her brain during the shared dream, become a tulpa -- she sees him, hears him, feels him, and he gives her clues about her investigations from his memories.

"Some things have to be believed to be seen." - Ralph Hodgson

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest amber5885

In season 3 she gets a Peter tulpa too. He doesn't die and I didnt spoil anything but the bitch goes mad with tulpas lol

I don't know if anyone's mentioned it (And I'm not trawling through 18 pages to find out), but how about the titular invisible giant white rabbit from Harvey? Jimmy Stewart's imaginary friend who hangs out with him, can manipulate objects in reality to a certain extent, and even interacts with other people on occasion. Great movie if you haven't seen it, very funny stuff.

[align=center]Host: Mike "Redback"

Tulpa name: Deortabe

Appearance: Female deer with glittery hooves.

Begun: 04/09/14

Progress: Basic appearance starting to take shape, possible first signs of sentience.[/align]

Aristoi by Walter Jon Williams has many high-ranking members of the meritocracy creating tulpas called daimones to help them multi-task, of course they have Brain/Computer Interface implants that would allow them all to speak digitally at once.

I don't know if anyone's mentioned it (And I'm not trawling through 18 pages to find out), but how about the titular invisible giant white rabbit from Harvey? Jimmy Stewart's imaginary friend who hangs out with him, can manipulate objects in reality to a certain extent, and even interacts with other people on occasion. Great movie if you haven't seen it, very funny stuff.

ohh yeshhh

i sheee

So I finished reading a book about a week ago, about this 6th grader who goes through all this crazy shit. Anyway, I noticed that, after finishing the book, I realized he had an incidental tulpa! The book is called Middle School; The Worst Years of My Life by James Patterson. If anyone here has read, is in the process of reading, or is planning to read this book, please tell me your thoughts or post a book that you find that has a tulpa in it.

Dexter has conversations with his late father and brother as if they were still alive and really there.

Found another one, in the webseries, Atop the Fourth Wall. The main character, Linkara, wields a magic gun that looks like a toy flintlock pistol, but actually works as a functional laser gun. As it happens, it's because it contains the trapped soul of a young girl who was sacrificed in a dark ritual many years ago, to make the magic gun. After alot of soul searching, and being driven to the point where he believed he was responsible for the girl's death, Linkara was eventually able to get over it and form a close partnership with the girl. Then later, the gun mysteriously stops working, and it is revealed that she had shut down the gun's power and all of Linkara's magic to stop him from going mad and evil with power, since he had been slowly becoming alot more aggressive and cruel over the previous season. Eventually he gets his power back an she reveals that she had been holding back with the gun's power. But the real tulpa moment came at the end when she had given him his power back, and she and him share a conversation something like this:

Linkara: So is that purple in your hair now?

Margaret (The girl in the gun): I can change my appearance at will and... well, I got bored.

That just sounds like a total tulpa thing to do :P

[align=center]Host: Mike "Redback"

Tulpa name: Deortabe

Appearance: Female deer with glittery hooves.

Begun: 04/09/14

Progress: Basic appearance starting to take shape, possible first signs of sentience.[/align]

Oh yes.

Farscape.

In the second season the main character, John Crichton, gets a "neural clone" of the main named villain of the series in his head, whom he nicknames "Harvey". He manifests to taunt him about every other episode, but sometimes decides to help. In the third season John gets some control over Harvey, like dressing him up in silly outfits or taking him to a Wonderland based on his hometown and throwing him in a dumpster. And there's one episode where John is in a coma and lucid dreaming, then he turns "Harvey" into a Looney Toon and manifests some caricature thought-forms of his friends too, has some fun imagining the cartoon of his love interest in a variety of sexy outfits.

No Spoilers, but there is definitely something relevant in the first episode of the second season of Agents of Shield.

Host: Sakura

Tulpa: Sarah (began June 5th, 2014), Alyx (Began July 23rd, 2014)

Our shared tumblr

note: usually browsing on mobile, so cannot quote properly