Tulpas and Tulpa-like Things in the Media

Lacquer

It'd be interesting to see what other forms of media have tulpas, I recall there being a Greek myth (I think is was Greek?) about a sculptor who fell in love with the statue of a woman he had carved, and developed a relationship with her. Is that tulpa related?

This is the one that you are thinking of.

Akecalo - Host

Maya - Tulpa

Mara - Tulpa

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the webcomic Paranatural (linking to the cover of chapter 1 to avoid spoilers), sometimes the spectral characters enter into something called an HSP, which is quite similar to a wonderland, especially how it is inhabited by the spirit possessing the spectral's tool. Also, I highly recommend the webcomic, even if it has fallen into a bit of a lull recently.

Gûntera from the Eragon book series kind of, a little bit, but not really, but maybe?

When he actually appears in the book, he doesn't interact with the world in any way that couldn't be explained by Gannel's magic and the entire Dwarven race believes in him

“Eragon looked back at him, confused. "I don't understand."

"Of course you don't," said Brom impatiently. "That's why I'm teaching you and not the other way around.”

Gûntera from the Eragon book series kind of, a little bit, but not really, but maybe?

When he actually appears in the book, he doesn't interact with the world in any way that couldn't be explained by Gannel's magic and the entire Dwarven race believes in him

Speaking of Eragon, I've often pondered how the Dragon Riders would react to a host with a tulpa. Sometime during his training, Oromis states that two consciousnesses cannot occupy the same body, and goes to say it would be an abomination if it DID occur. So would they be able to perceive the tupper as another thoughtform inside your head, and would having such a tulpa provide any advantages? It's a fun thing to think about.

"Try to get a better understanding of things before making your judgement." -Khan, Metro 2033

I know Inside Out was mentioned a couple times before as being kind of tulpa-ish, but in two of the original concepts for the movie, they were even more so:

1. One, Riley would travel to Headquarters and meet her emotions there to help them fight off Gloom.

2. In another, the emotions would have been able to hang around Riley on the outside, with Joy hanging out on her shoulder, with the others coming out after Joy got lost.

So we almost got an entire Pixar movie kind of about tulpas, I would have loved to see that! Granted, I love the movie as it is, but still, I love those ideas too...

Everything we perceive is reality is all interpreted by our heads. So technically, even though only their tulpamancer can see them, tulpas can be said to be as real as anything else.

• 4 weeks later...

I decided to finally catch up on the new season of The X-Files, and I guess this is a thing.

Here's something from the show's wiki page on tulpas:

The Ubermenscher from the X Files episode "Arcadia" is a tulpa. In "Home Again" the Trash Man is also one. Curiously, in Home Again Mulder claims "tulpa" is a theosophist mistranslation of "tulku" and that it has no basis in Tibetan Buddhism, whereas in Arcadia he identified the Ubermenscher as being "a tulpa, a Tibetan thought form". The tulpa is in fact a very old concept in Tibetan Buddhism, and entirely separate from tulku.

Did you see the latest x-files?

the active mystery charecter was called a tulpa

in the hypothesis put forward by Mulder.

but really I think it was a golem- in make up.

but it had inherited part of the personality of the creator

and it developed independence and thought

not like a true golem..

but more like the golems of Terry Pratchett's world

like that of "Going postal."

with a fairly independent or single minded bent.

I was not expecting to find Tulpas in mainstream tv.