Tulpas and Food

September13

I've recently realized that I've never really talked about food with Simmie before, and it's lead me to wonder about other tulpas' relationship with food in general. It's an interesting subject because it could be thought of several ways. It could be seen that tulpas don't need to eat as they are thoughtforms; it could also be conceived that they eat whatever the host eats. If so, they are still processing the food with the same taste buds that the host is, but may have different opinions as to what tastes good. Some tulpas may have strong opinions about food while others couldn't care less or not think about it at all.

The closest Simmie has shown to a food preference has been her liking of peppermint mochas, as well as a dislike for consuming more than a small amount of alcohol. But as far as food itself she has never shown any kind of preference. I asked her about it today and she essentially shrugged; she said if she had her own body she would just eat "normal food" in her own words. I asked her if she had any dietary restrictions (vegetarian, kosher, gluten free, etc) and she said no. She did point out that she is no snob; she would happily eat at a diner, though that might be more her New Jersey pride speaking than any kind of preference. I pressed her a little bit more and finally got her to admit that she likes breakfast type foods: pancakes, bacon, eggs, sausage, and fruit. She prefers savory to sweet and doesn't have as much of a sweet tooth as me, though it is not entirely lacking, and she likes dark chocolate. "I'm a meat and potatoes kind of girl, you don't have to wow me with food." Simmie just told me. "I eat to live, not live to eat."

Huh. Just learned more about Simmie's food preferences just now while writing this than I ever knew before. Neato! Still, I'm curious about other tulpas' relationship to food, and if you ever consciously tried to introduce them to food and find out what they liked, or if they don't care/think about food at all.

Phil. 😎 Host of Simmie.

We have a lot of differences in our favorite foods. I love fast food and soda, and have an admittedly pretty unhealthy diet. Meanwhile Rebecca would rather just eat a salad and be healthy. If it were fully up to her, not an ounce of soda would enter our body. The only food she absolutely can’t stand is soda. We’re probably never going to agree on soda. She’s pretty indifferent on most food and not very picky, though her soft spot and absolute favorite food is chocolate. Give her a chocolate bar, chocolate shake, or just a chocolate cookie and she’d do nearly anything. I was never big on any chocolate except white chocolate, so it’s cool to see that difference between us.

Hey, I’m Illupepsi, I’m the host of my tulpa Rebecca. 
Drink Pepsi! 

J: 🍔 *looks up from burger* What? 😐

Jaina seems to like food as an accessory and novelty sometimes. Not having to pay the caloric price for it helps. Seems like she conjures up wonderland food to snack on or hold to amuse herself. As far as RL food she's pretty Americana and more veggie tolerant than I am. She likes sweets more than I do. Diner food is also quite popular with her, it could just be the activity over the actual food. (Depends on the place.) Honestly I think if you took my graph spikes on interest/disinterest and rounded those off it would line up decently.

Darron: Host 💍 

Jaina: Tulpa 💍 

(Raccoon Queen 🦝👸)

👨‍👩‍👧‍👦Dain and Nova

Aggrok: Tulpa Void Dragon

Viktor: 🐺

[DeviantArt]

[SheShe] I am known for loving chocolate and chocolate cake and hating Bear's "quick substitutions" in otherwise good recipes and if he eats expired food. My emotions center around the stomach area so I guess it hits me hardest.  

[Misha] I like red/pink things so naturally I like red/pink foods like strawberry shortcake and red/pink fruit.  

[Ashley] Rocky road icecream. It's a Bear System meme. 

5 hours ago, September13 said:

it could also be conceived that they eat whatever the host eats. If so, they are still processing the food with the same taste buds that the host is, but may have different opinions as to what tastes good. Some tulpas may have strong opinions about food while others couldn't care less or not think about it at all.

This is mostly correct. I would generalize it to the tulpa and host eat when the body eats, but I agree that the same taste buds are shared and tulpas can have different opinions about what is eaten. The body is what needs calories, tulpas and hosts are contained in the mind which is created and fueled by the brain. Eating in wonderland is completely optional.

I'm not too experienced with eating wonderland food. I've done it before, but I don't pay much attention and the only memorable moment was Exabier interrupting a system meeting with Cheetos. I think it boils down to I have an expectation of what it should taste like and my "taste" is really an impression of what I'm eating. I don't know if wonderland tastes are consistent with my preference in real life. I think they can be inconsistent, but I didn't put much thought into it before.

I have a different sense of taste than Gray does, and for whatever reason, it doesn't matter if I'm possessing or switched-in. If I associate with the body, In general, Gray has a more sensitive sense of flavor than I do. Unfortunately, this means a lot of things have a weak flavor or are flavorless... Like airheads. At least I don't gag on the orange and purple Airheads like Blue did. On the flip side, I like chicken wings and Gray doesn't, possibly because the flavor is too strong for him or he doesn't like the combination.

I'm not sure if our individual sense of taste is congruent with expectation. I know this can be tricky to measure, especially since some foods are like optical illusions where you can focus on the flavor in different ways. For instance, All Froot Loops are actually the same artificial flavor called "froot" which is a blend of different fruits (yes, MatPat did a video on this and yes, Gray watched it). Fernardo, while he has a similar taste experience with grape Pez to mine, he actually enjoys the grape part more than I do for whatever reason. The mystery airheads, it was hard to know if I was incorrectly identifying a watermelon Airhead or if it was a mix of different flavors and I was either tasting Cherry or imposing a different flavor by accident. Regardless, I always think pineapple is gross, no matter how many times Gray has tried to get me to eat pineapple. I think we have tried to replicate the experiences our headmates had, but it didn't work for some reason. It could be expectation can have a big impact on food, but I also wonder if it's worth arguing if having a different personality can also change the flavor of food.

5 hours ago, September13 said:

But as far as food itself she has never shown any kind of preference. I asked her about it today and she essentially shrugged; she said if she had her own body she would just eat "normal food" in her own words. I asked her if she had any dietary restrictions (vegetarian, kosher, gluten free, etc) and she said no. She did point out that she is no snob; she would happily eat at a diner, though that might be more her New Jersey pride speaking than any kind of preference. I pressed her a little bit more and finally got her to admit that she likes breakfast type foods: pancakes, bacon, eggs, sausage, and fruit. She prefers savory to sweet and doesn't have as much of a sweet tooth as me, though it is not entirely lacking, and she likes dark chocolate. "I'm a meat and potatoes kind of girl, you don't have to wow me with food." Simmie just told me. "I eat to live, not live to eat."

I don't know how much food Simmie has eaten in real life or in the wonderland. You can't secretly know or learn from the experiences you never had 🤷‍♂️. I highly recommend Simmie tries these foods in her wonderland and if she's comfortable, possessing to taste these foods. It's possible she needs to switch to eat food, but if not it could give her an opportunity to see what she does and doesn't like.

I'm Ranger, GrayTheCat's cobud (tulpa), and I love hippos! I also like cake and chatting about stuff. I go by Rosalin or Ronan sometimes. You can call me Roz but please don't call me Ron.

My other headmates have their own account now.

If I missed seeing your art, please PM/DM me!

Blog | Not So Temporary Log | Switching Log | Yay! | Bre Translator | Art Thread

Shizuku started getting involved in choosing food and eating pretty early on! Because of that, my/the body’s tastes have changed a bit. For instance, she decided she liked wasabi, and I acquired the taste for it too while I was trying to force it down for her. 😂

I love Japanese food, especially okonomiyaki. Apart from that, Wray makes really good mac and cheese. 😀

It sounds like a lot of tulpas help their hosts eat more healthily. Unfortunately, I just like dessert too much! Now that I can front, I switch in to have ice cream pretty often.

As for wonderland food, we’ve tried a few different things—foods I can remember but can’t get my hands on anymore. It takes a lot of focus, but when taste “visualization” goes well it’s really fun. 😀

Host: Wray (or John) (he, him)
Tulpa: Shizuku (she, her) 🐺

We now have a progress report!

Heh. Well. When you share a head with a guy who owns an Italian restaurant in Wonderland and is very passionate about food ... 😅 He can taste what I eat, and he has Strong Opinions at times. (My husband and I had KFC recently, FAM was absolutely horrified. It was nothing but grease. That ain't food, I'm telling you.) We enjoy trying things together, and cooking together. We went for a picnic in the park on my birthday. I'm taking her somewhere else tonight if she leaves this computer any time soon.

He loves things that taste of lemon while I've never been keen (it's complicated), but I also think it's important to let him have the things he likes as well as we now share this body. I may have made homemade Limoncello so it would have a flavour to suit both of us! She's made homemade Anisette too, I'm real proud of her for getting on board with trying Sicilian recipes. She's really making progress in learning how to cook authentic Italian food. Making her own sauce and everything these days. It helps that we're both foodies, but one of us may have "slightly" higher standards about Italian food than the other ...

Doc (she/her) = Host

Franklyn (he/him) = Tulpa

(edited)

Phoenix likes the kind of food I grew up on...northern comfort food, stews, dumplings, bangers and mash, fish and chips were a treat we only got when we went to the seaside.

We lived rurally in a small village so we didn't have own chip shop, not for years anyway. No microwave back then so none of this convenience food or takeaways. we had our own allotment for fresh fruit and vegetables. She tells me that's the kind of food she grew up on. 

I liked those dishes as I grew up on them too but I also like Indian cuisine and Italian.  I've been vegetarian on and off over the years now, more flexitarian.  Meat is getting ever more expensive as is fish, but I love a good sunday roast which often have when visit family.

I drink more alcohol than Phoenix likes. She liked stuff like Babycham and Sherry! I like spirits whisky or brandy with coke.I like a Baileys too sometimes!

Edited by Phoenix Leigh

• 4 weeks later...

I'm more of a coffee fan than Gray is. Neither of us have had much alcohol and I don't know if I'll like it better or not.

Lately we found out I like these airheads bites and Gray doesn't, and another desert had some cookie crumbles I don't like the flavor of but Gray doesn't mind. It's weird getting excited about eating a desert and realizing oh wait, I don't like this...

I'm Ranger, GrayTheCat's cobud (tulpa), and I love hippos! I also like cake and chatting about stuff. I go by Rosalin or Ronan sometimes. You can call me Roz but please don't call me Ron.

My other headmates have their own account now.

If I missed seeing your art, please PM/DM me!

Blog | Not So Temporary Log | Switching Log | Yay! | Bre Translator | Art Thread

• 4 weeks later...

Oh I never noticed this thread for some reason. Yeah, Desmond and I definitely have different relationships to food.

I can eat pretty much anything, or so I like to think, but Desmond is very sensitive to strong smells and tastes. When he's fronting, food smells and coffee make him gag, and he feels that eating in general as a biological process is rather disgusting, so he prefers not to do it. But! He really enjoys some white cheeses and he loves gingerbread cookies. Plain toast and salt crackers are also something he can eat with no problem.

Iro - He/they - 30th April 1997 - Host of the system - Speaker if there's no tag

Desmond - He/him - 21st April 2014

L - He/him - 5th May 2014

Nevira - She/her - 14th December 2014

Misa - She/her - 5th December 2015

Roska - He/him - 22nd July 2019

Danyla - They/them - 13th July 2020

Asha - He/him - 13th June 2022