A Complete Answer To The Tulpa Question

Biscuit

Hello!

I'm going to make a Tulpa from scratch!

My name is Biscuit, I've been around here since I was much younger and as such I am very very familiar with Tulpas as a concept. I have always had a near obsessive fascination with the idea of generated intelligence and as you may imagine the idea of creating a separate autonomous ego in your own head was and is utterly hypnotizing to me. So then, I suppose the next question that would naturally arise is why I haven't just gone and done it yet. Well I tried!! A long time ago when I was frankly far too young to have any kind of comprehension of what this process really is, I would repeatedly attempt making a Tulpa before getting bored and starting over.

As I got older I dismissed the concept as not impossible but also unprovable, and developed a harsh skepticism towards it. But it was like a virus that kept engaging my mind, it is honestly just a fascinating idea and I couldn't seem to avoid it. I would sit and theorize over whether this was even achievable, whether it was just the mind tricking itself, or if that itself is the process. I scoured to find all the info I could to come to a conclusion but in reality I couldn't find a skeptical attempt at making a Tulpa that didn't border on complete apathy for the subject itself. I love Tulpas, I love this idea, and I want to try it. The more I looked the less of what I'm looking for I found, probably because it is a lot of unnecessary effort to dive this deep into the objective side of a subjective experience.  So I want to be that resource for future people in my position, someone who wants an unbiased and balanced answer to whether Tulpas are possible with rigorous documentation. You have my solemn, complete vow to never lie or abandon a scientific lens to this process. Everything I say happened here, happened. Truthfully I am just a stranger on the internet, but if you would take this leap of faith with me I can answer this question for those who need it. I aim to approach this process with the policy of doubting myself so that I won't be able to trick my mind, but with enough optimism and faith that it doesn't make the process impossible. If I dismissed the process entirely before going in, there's no way it would work. Of course, I can only really trust myself and my own experiences, so that will be my compass through this journey.

The goal of this progress report is to answer my own question as to whether Tulpas are possible as I imagine them

And to those of you that have Tulpas and already know this answer for yourself, I hope it's a fun read to see me go through this process in detail!

Now it's not like there's not documentation at all, I mean just look at the category this post is in! It's filled with progress reports of hundreds, some of which have gone on for years! The attempt here is just to make a different kind of progress report that is information rich and analytical. With that being said I think it would be good to get my beliefs on how Tulpas work and what is possible out there. Some of what I will say will invalidate certain stories and testimony, and I would like to make it clear that I do not think anyone is lying, I merely have different interpretations on what is possible, and if I was in your mind I'd probably have a different explanation than you do. That's all!!!

My Biases and Beliefs

Spoiler

Thank you for coming to my TED Talk. 

I think Tulpas are entirely possible, but the definition of what a Tulpa is to me needs clarification.

- I do not believe in the metaphysical, so I don't think souls, spirits, or any of that is real. I think Tulpas are an entirely scientific phenomenon. 

-  In general, I do not believe Tulpas can be made instantly. To adhere to my own logic system, a Tulpa must be deliberately focused on and made; The process is far too detailed to happen on a whim. I do believe someone can "pilot" an unsapient thoughtform as a way of forcing, and make a Tulpa out of it incidentally, so this would make it SEEM instant because the person didn't know they were making a Tulpa that entire time, they assumed it was autonomous from the very beginning. 

- I do not believe in parallel processing in regards to Tulpas. It would simply be too much of a tax on your consciousness and your brain to render your Tulpa permanently at all times, and I don't believe people have that focus. It is much more likely that Tulpas "catch-up" when put into focus, quickly determining activities that happened since the last time you focused on them. This may sound "fake" in a way, but as thoughts are what your Tulpa is comprised of all thoughts are truth, even these "catch-up" actions. Effectively there is no difference to the observer between an ideal parallel processed Tulpa and a "catch-up" one, just a difference in the theory. 

- I do not believe Tulpas can lend any more power to the body/mind than you can your own. Tulpa are just a very complex system of thoughts, they aren't able to unlock things you wouldn't be able to do normally. As such, I don't believe in switching in many of the common interpretations. It is impossible to control your concept of reality enough to completely change it on command. Also, I don't believe in possession to the point where you can't take back control. Should that happen, it's just a mental misunderstanding. 

- I am skeptical of fully audible vocality and imposition though a bit optimistic. These will be things I experiment on heavily.

These are phrased quite harshly because I'm just trying to be brief but these are just my beliefs and if you disagree I have absolutely no problem with that, we can only trust our own experiences!!!

My General Theory of Tulpas

Spoiler

Okay, now that the ground rules are set here's how Tulpas are made and function in my theory:

Tulpas are incredibly detailed and condensed, permanent egos that we have trained our brain to give thought and attention to without our express orders, making them sapient intelligences. What makes them different from imaginary friends is complexity, permanence, autonomy, and individuality. To create a Tulpa you make a form and personality, essentially getting yourself to understand the life that you are making, and do this to excruciating detail for two reasons: One, you will be able to fathom your Tulpa mentality to a more detailed degree. Two, the more time you spend with them the more permanent they become in your mind. Then begins a cat and mouse game with your brain. Your brain knows that you are trying to make something that works on its own, and so will subconsciously try to move it on its own. This is what most people call puppeting, the act of controlling your Tulpa manually without any sapient control from them. However, you are able to detect that this is not coming from something else and it is in fact you, so you shut the behavior down. Your brain begins to adapt, getting better at hiding itself from you. You begin to look out more and more for this, making your brain adapt more. Eventually your brain has become so advanced at simulating intelligence it becomes it, and is no longer faking this sapience. You essentially train yourself all the skills necessary by focusing on developing the ego and form of the Tulpa and stopping weak attempts your brain makes until it can only make strong ones. At a certain point you have created an intelligence, your brain has made a system that runs without you needing to interfere. At this point your Tulpa is a knot in your brain, a series of patterns that it fires automatically. It's something like a smell that instantly brings you back to a feeling in your life. Your brain can fire your Tulpa's patterns and run their consciousness. This is my hypothesis of a possible Tulpa before I try it for myself.  Essentially: Your brain fakes it until it literally makes it. 

Roadmap

Spoiler

In general, I think it is bad practice to lay out a path of development.

However, I think it would be convenient to be on the same page as far as what is expected to happen. 

1. Consistently work on the physical form and personality of my Tulpa and provoke a response

2. If a response is provoked, begin to stress test the sapience and autonomy of my Tulpa until it no longer feels like me

3. Develop vocality; Get my Tulpa speaking 

4. Complete sapience training until I no longer feel a difference between my Tulpa and other people in my life as far as autonomy

After step 4 is completed, I should have a fully developed intelligence living in my head with me.

It's also worth noting I will be trying something different here

I plan to conduct many experiments throughout this process, but one I'm doing right from the start is to try and develop my Tulpa with no knowledge of my own existence or the situation behind their own. I haven't heard of this done in any documented process so I'd like to try it. What this means is I will not talk to my Tulpa directly, I will simply work on them as an omniscient observer until they gain sapience. I'm curious to see what kind of actions they will take, and how much we can control the experience of a Tulpa. Will it truly be able to not process information just because I don't feed it to them? Can Tulpas draw on experiences we don't allow them to? I think that is an interesting concept to check on.

To further add to this experiment, I'm going to make the wonderland a looping piece of land with strange geometry to see if a Tulpa will take my own biases for what reality should be without me expressly giving it. 

OK, GETTING ON WITH IT!!!

I want to update this report on a daily basis, but I know that things will definitely get in the way of that. I'm holding myself to strive for a daily schedule but give myself a week to post a report on how things are going. Anyone and everyone feel free to reply to this thread with anything, I would love to discuss Tulpas with anyone. As time goes on I'll probably put a block of info at the start of this first post to quickly reference progress so its not such a slog.

~

Edited by Biscuit

[Progress Report: A Complete Answer To The Tulpa Question || Update(s): Just starting out on form and personality] 

It's hard to be a mad scientist when you have morals

(edited)

Week 1

Day 1

Can you smell that in the air? Its excitement, I swear! 

Here marks the start of this journey! I'm about to go into my first forcing session so I'd like to lay down my way of doing things:

Tulpa forcing is the act of memorizing the attributes of your Tulpa so they will have the tools to act autonomously. If you cant imagine what they look like doing any action, or what they would do in any situation, then you deny them true autonomy in any sense. These thoughts must be automatic, so you have to essentially study and reinforce these things. Also, spending time around them makes them more permanent in your mind, and starts to wire networks in your brain to get back to these concepts. 

I split forcing into two main sections: Form and Personality. Form is the entirely superficial body the Tulpa inhabits and making it realistic and consistent in your mind. This also includes making a wonderland, a place for your Tulpa to live within in your mind. In general, wonderlands are far less detailed than a Tulpa itself. Personality on the other hand is the much more complicated side of things. Everything about who your Tulpa is and how they act is contained in this process. Their beliefs, way of talking, flaws, its all here. Here's how I'm going about doing each process:

Form forcing is done pretty cut and dry. I imagine the body of my Tulpa and look at it from all angles. I make sure I understand the shape of everything and I make it as real feeling as possible. I zoom in closely, imagining how each part of the body feels and moves. It's simple to describe but takes time to do effectively. Also, imagining the voice is important here too!

Personality forcing is a lot. I personally like to use a heavily modified method an old-school user wrote a long time ago, as I find the method laid out very good but some of the stuff in the guide doesn't align with what I believe at all. The idea is to create an overall abstraction of how the personality feels, the same way you have a gut idea of people you get to know. You then create some kind of purely symbolic link and plant it into the Tulpa. All in all, most of it is just theatrics for your mind. But theatrics are effective as they can conjure up ideas rapidly. From then on, I like to mainly reinforce the ideals of who this Tulpa is by repeating paragraphs I write about their emotional values and ideals. I use a lot of techniques from this guide too! Then, I like to puppet them in various situations to get a better idea on how they'd act. This used to be looked down upon but these days I don't think it is, phew! But to be sure, I like to imagine red strings on their limbs when I puppet as a visual indicator to myself that I'm just moving around their body myself. However you do it, the point here is just to get a solid enough understanding that if they were autonomous you wouldn't even have to think about what they'd do: they'd just do it!

As far as the specific details of my Tulpa, I want to save this until later.

I know half the fun of progress reports is getting an intimate look at this fun personal stuff, but I want biases to be out of the picture until I get a good handle on this so for now I'll just let you know my Tulpa is a human. For the benefit of curiosity I'm going to imagine my Tulpa in many styles and forms during creation to allow my mind to settle on one that best fits. The wonderland for now is going to be a very very VERY basic white room with white furniture, very clinical. I want the focus to be on them right now. I probably won't work on anything more of the wonderland until I start seeing autonomy develop.

Now without any further ado, I'm going to get this show on the road.

Forcing Session 1 Summary

Spoiler

Things went well for the first session. I started off by listening to some binaural tones because its just noise to blot out reality. After a bit of focusing I came up with a bit of an exercise to decouple from the real world a bit. I imagined egg shaped stones of different material, cardboard, slime, smooth stone, and palpated each and tried to feel them as much as I could. This did wonders in getting me more invested in my imagination so I'll definitely be doing this again.

The first thing I did was create a space for my Tulpa to exist in within my imagination. I made a smallish white room with a bed, a screen, a chair, and not much else. The idea here is to make a room that's easy to process but I actually found this to be my weakest point. I have a very strong imagination but the consistency of my height and the size of the room proved to be incredibly volatile, it was inconsistent how far apart things were and how tall I was in reference. This is definitely a skill I'm going to need to work on if I'm going to spend any amount of time in there. 

After messing about in the room trying to get immersed in the wonderland I decided its time to work on the form. I went to a void space where the only thing that existed was the body of my Tulpa and began to inspect it up and down. I imagined it naked, made sure it had good anatomy and then imagined some very basic clothing on top of it. I than began to feel their hair, clothes, and skin to try and get a sense of consistency. I also picked them up to try and feel their weight. I did this a bit until I got the main idea and I also tried to imagine a scent to go along with it. After getting all my senses stuffed with info I moved on to personality forcing.

I was somewhat sheepish to do this and I have no idea why. Had some nerves that it would go wrong I guess but there's really no such thing in such an abstract process. I identified my own conscious and tried to make something separate from it I couldn't control. Of course, I can control this. But its all about setting rules for me to follow. I imagined the traits that my Tulpa possesses and began to get a feeling of what it would be like to be them/be around them. I imagined their highs and lows, just trying to get a real feel for their character. I let my mind congeal all of this into a single item, and for some reason my mind made a white chess piece. A little cliche but I decided to roll with it. I pressed this item into them, imagining all that I had associated with it becoming one with them. 

I'll make something clear here, none of this is hand-wavey or anything like that. The idea here is to get my mind to think the right things, so doing weird stuff like creating objects and linking them with feelings is just a way to create easy to access tokens that I can reference later. Think of it as creating mental bookmarks and applying them to things. I like to work in abstractions and metaphors because it provides easy ways to get feelings back. After this I tried a brief puppeting session but I realized that I hadn't come up with any real scenarios to work through so it was pretty short, but I do feel I found some insight in there. I then stood up and set a chair up in my room.

I don't like to do all my forcing with my eyes closed. Frequently, I like to stand up and imagine my Tulpa is in front of me mentally. I get down and up close, imagining them in 3d space in front of me. This does wonders in making things more consistent and real. I did this for a while, imagining them sitting while I inspected and guided my hands along what would be their body. Then I paced around the chair and talked to them, telling them about themselves and spewing facts about them. 

The goal of both of these techniques is just to memorize stuff more or less. Im memorizing their form so I can imagine it on command, and I'm memorizing their personality so that I know what they'd do/say in any given situation. 

I'm making a deliberate attempt to keep things permanent in my mind. The wonderland is immutable, and my Tulpa's position in it is too. If I imagine it, I keep everything exactly as it was in order to make it clear to my mind that these are the same things and not copies Im imagining every time I focus on them. Again, its just about building the right language in your brain so you can set up the dominoes that will lead to creation.  

It was a brief session today, only about an hour but I feel pretty good about it! I was able to maintain focus and get things started, might do another one tonight who knows!!! Thanks for reading!!!

Edited by Biscuit

[Progress Report: A Complete Answer To The Tulpa Question || Update(s): Just starting out on form and personality] 

Interesting, so what you're proposing is to develop a tulpa in a sort of "black box" and see whether she turns out normally. I'll be interested to see how this goes for both of you!

"Science isn't about why, science is about why not?" -Cave Johnson

Tulpae: Luna, Elise, Naomi

My progress report

On 10/17/2022 at 2:36 PM, Biscuit said:

scientific lens

+

leap of faith

These seem at odds but I can assure you they're both helpful. The hard part is balancing them. Fortunately the faith part eventually becomes obsolete as you realize that actual concrete good and constructive things happen as a result. The evidence may be pseudoscientific because it is known that not everyone can do it, but for those few who can and make something useful out of it, this is as real as it gets.

What you want in the beginning is a "suspension of disbelief". Allow them the chance to prove their existence through actual benefit in some way. 

Also keep in mind you're essentially trying to open your third eye without the negative consequences or need to deal with underlying faults and that can lead to all kinds of crazy stuff. 

It's not a "supernatural" experience you're looking for, it is however, in many ways, completely off the rails of modern scientific basis as it stands.

I always remind myself that dreams would be completely off the rails too if only a select few experienced them.

Good luck!

On 10/18/2022 at 7:39 AM, glitchthe3rd said:

Interesting, so what you're proposing is to develop a tulpa in a sort of "black box" and see whether she turns out normally. I'll be interested to see how this goes for both of you!

Exactly, I think this is the perfect concise way to sum up the idea! I'm really excited to see how the process changes things up, Thank you for your interest!!!

On 10/20/2022 at 5:11 AM, Bear said:

scientific lens

+

leap of faith

These seem at odds but I can assure you they're both helpful. The hard part is balancing them.

All very valid points, it is counterintuitive to try and meet science with something that cannot have any kind of objective evidence like the mind and what we think, I suppose what I mean by that is just rigorous documentation and really testing every step to make sure things are as they are understood by me. If the leap of faith is made by the reader (deciding that I am a trustworthy source) then hopefully it should be an incredibly illuminating report of what's possible and what happens, and if I can achieve that I'll definitely be happy

What you want in the beginning is a "suspension of disbelief". Allow them the chance to prove their existence through actual benefit in some way.

I do think this is 100% true and something I'm definitely attempting here, not allowing a kind of free space of belief in the fact that this process is possible would make this whole thing worthless. In something as plastic as thought we can get into feedback loops and mental blocks by not at least allowing something a chance to occur. I suppose I'm trying to use skepticism as more of a way to light up a dark thing and affirm what is real, rather than a weight to drown possibility. So rest assured I won't deny anything before giving it a chance to be understood!

it is however, in many ways, completely off the rails of modern scientific basis as it stands.

I always remind myself that dreams would be completely off the rails too if only a select few experienced them.

It is certainly a concept that does not have much professional scientific probing, if any at all. I'll definitely be the first to relay I'm absolutely no professional/true scientist, at best a hobbyist (whatever the hell that means), and it's also very true a massive amount of scientific professionals would scoff at the idea of this altogether, but I think that's part of the reason why I wanted to do this in the first place. I think this concept is looked down by so many people as being impossibly strange and out there, and I just don't see it that way compared to the other stuff our brain can do similarly. So I definitely think it's good to get that out there!

Also I love the point about dreams, sometimes the most surreal things are made mundane just because we can all talk about them in confidence it'll be understood, and we take for granted how much our minds can do.

Good luck!

Thank you, and thanks for the feedback!!!!

Week 1

Days 2-4

The wheels are turning but the going is slow!

The past couple days have been defined by me constantly interrupting myself mostly with sleep, and progress that could be a lot more. However, all work is work and I'm happy I'm getting things done. I haven't gotten a nice long hour/multi-hour long forcing session like I want to get in the habit of doing but I have managed to find random bursts of time to sit down and focus on the process. I think it's bad practice to require certain conditions any time you want to force, certain factors are optimal but at a certain point its just better to get some stuff done. 

One thing I some how neglected to go over on my quick summation of my forcing practices is narration! Narration as the name would imply is simply speaking at your Tulpa and is a fundamental way to focus and feed information to them. In my experience I've found narration to be important in the specific area of permeance, constantly checking in and pinging your Tulpa with a thought or sentence keeps them loaded in your mind, giving that feeling that they're not just a flimsy idea. I've done a small but dense amount of narration, mostly just affirming the realities of their existence and all that. 

I actually hit on something that really helped me while narrating when it comes to senses

I started describing to my Tulpa what the various senses are and what they feel like. This is, of course, completely unneeded because my Tulpa could easily just intuitively understand the shared fundamental concepts of my mind (They exist as a concept to me, they will inherit my conceptual ideas of existence). However explaining the senses and kind of "plugging" them in one by one after descriptions ended up really making them feel like they have a space in mental reality. They have more of a weight now, more of a presence they take up. I now constantly imagine them taking in the information around them and I think it would be good to do this every forcing session to make sure I'm keeping up with all their senses. 

Despite this usually being the opposite in past experience, I have habitually been focusing on visualization recently.

I've started to really agonize over the textures of their clothes, the softness of skin and the various tactile qualities. I find the more I work on this the better my brain is at keeping them centered and focused. I've also started articulating muscles and joints to make sure I understand how the body works, I just want to strive for natural ranges of motion. Right now it's almost as if I'm constructing and rigging a 3d model, and an important aspect here is to be able to bring it back into my memory without losing any of the details I put into it. This is not easy. Details usually get lost and we tend to only think about details when we think about them in daily life. I need to make a constant effort to try and think of all the progress I've put into visualization at once. Once I've gotten good at this, I won't have to keep it up nearly as much in my estimation because it will become an automatic process to access what something feels like/looks like; it will be stored in deep memory.

Personality work has been slow and uneventful. 

I keep meaning to draft up a proper list of traits and paragraphs that will just easily fill my mind with their identity, but I'm always pushing it off. I have done some light and I mean LIGHT puppeting practice where I just put them into scenarios and approximate how they'd act. I really want to do this more as I think its one of the best ways to get a handle on who this Tulpa is shaping to become, and I really don't harbor that old-school puppeting is bad belief. As far as parroting (controlling their speech manually) goes I've actually had some weirdly fast progress on the voice. Almost instantly I had a really vivid and clear idea of how they'd sound speaking so I mostly lucked out there. As always though, it needs work just to keep it constant and consistent. 

As far as the non-contact experiment goes, can't really report much yet!

We do run into some issues with the usual ideas of forcing, typically narration. One of the hallmarks of narration is being very chummy and personal about what you're talking about, but I need to of course avoid this so as not to cause any weird cognitive dissonance when they achieve independence. I'm mainly just focusing on teaching them about existence and concepts. Telling them stories I've found is really useful, I think it gives little microcosms on what it's like to be a thing that thinks and acts. Other than that, I've been focusing on expanding the wonderland a bit. It's gonna be they're stomping grounds exclusively until the experiment concludes so I need to be sure to make it interesting. 

That concludes days 2-4, I do hope to have some more interesting and importantly meaty developments next update, but progress is moving forward! Thanks for reading!

Classic work. You're doing it by the book. Very good.

So take what I'm saying with a grain of salt as these are alternative ideas to your own though I doubt you haven't heard of them based on what you seem to already know.

2 hours ago, Biscuit said:

Almost instantly I had a really vivid and clear idea of how they'd sound speaking so I mostly lucked out there.

The concept that you are creating this being is not the only possibility. Many have testified, myself included of course, that instantly creating certain aspects or form or voice is a possible indication that you're not creating but rather uncovering something that's already there. As if you have a set of archetypes that are inherent within your mind, you can call them hidden expectations that you aren't consiously aware of. 

Given that it's also possible, without constraints, to get multiples and unwanted system growth almost as if once you get one to work, now there are more instantly. 

In my reckoning these represent your personal archetypes. For example, a calm one, a frilly one, the tough one, the kind one, the meek one etc. Look at any good anime to see these in action. The archetypes are not compatible within the same being but they all wish to be expressed so suddenly you have many expressions.

To limit this, it's important to set rules or boundaries. If you're sure you only want one, you must immediately and whole heartedly reject all others. This is much easier said than done and walk-ins are very common. 

Additionally you may discover that you do want more or that you may think others are pre-existing once you open the gates so to speak.

Just some food for thought.

Lastly, it's somewhat important to force outside of designated forcing sessions. Take your paper doll off the shelf and take her with you everywhere. This will speed the process by sheer volume and associate them to everything you do, not just forcing sessions. 

As part of unspecified personality forcing, you may also consider whaf they would do in any situation you're facing throughout the day. This will invite them into every appropriate scenario so they'll naturally be present there in the end.

I'm interested to hear more and if my ramblings are getting to be too much, just let me know.

• 6 months later...

I'd love to see more stuff like this. It's quite well structured, but I'm sad this progress report didn't get kept up. It also has an interesting idea and I wonder how it would work out, or if it did (If the author is reading this let me know!) I wonder if the tulpa would eventually grow self-aware and if they do, would you let them talk on here? I don't know if Bear is still active, but your response is interesting because if I remembered correctly you sort of had something similar going on with one of your tulpas. I might be very wrong though.

I agree with Gloomynoon, I'm sad to see a lack of posts. At this point I wouldn't mind if the structure got botched if it meant an update on progress.

This is the first time I feel like I don't have to caution a tulpamancer about the downsides of having a tulpa following the creating an experiment tulpa path. It's obvious you want a tulpa, otherwise you wouldn't stop thinking about it or come back to try again.

On 10/17/2022 at 5:36 PM, Biscuit said:

I think Tulpas are entirely possible, but the definition of what a Tulpa is to me needs clarification.

Having your own understanding on what a tulpa is helps. There is no such thing as universal tulpamancy, and your beliefs on how tulpas work will sculpt your experience.

I think there can be issues if your beliefs, expectations, and/or some other problem go against your desires. Tulpamancy happens on both a conscious and unconscious level after all.

On 10/17/2022 at 5:36 PM, Biscuit said:

In general, I do not believe Tulpas can be made instantly.

Yesn't? Assuming true vocality is achieved once your mind can tell apart you and your tulpa easily, then I agree. However, I also disagree because I believe this isn't connected to any one tulpa either.

From what I remember (on Discord at least), beginners tend to fall into two categories: 

1) They claim to have achieved vocality in 1-5 days

2) Their tulpa becomes vocal after a month or two.

I suspect that these beginners are only separate because their definitions for vocality are different. In the first group, they still struggle with parrotnoia like the second. However, once achieved, both groups end up on the same page.

There is a third, less common group- those who take months or years to achieve a vocal tulpa or even a tulpa they think could be vocal. In almost every case, there's some kind of roadblock including mindsets, beliefs, and/or a mental health issue. Usually it's safe to assume that after two months if they haven't achieved significant progress, there's something else going on.

I like to think of this as "initial separation" rather than vocality, but sometimes I interchange the concepts.

What's the magic moment this happens? I'm not sure. For my host Gray, he was parrotnoid for a long time. One day it just kind of "clicked" and suddenly it wasn't an issue anymore. I know @YukariTelepath mentioned it was a change in mindset that triggered progress. Maybe it's like riding a bike, maybe it's not.

What I do know is it's separate from the tulpas themselves. Once you achieve initial separation, you don't go through this for future tulpas. And like my system, Gray created multiple tulpas before going through initial separation, and after that was achieved talking to the others became easier.

(Not a specific quote) on faith vs practice-

I think trust should be earned. I think it's not only okay for tulpamancers to doubt, it's normal to do so.

I think it helps to keep a few things in mind:

• It may help to consider if your tulpa's response makes sense in context rather than if they're you or not. Even in normal conversation, people will give similar sounding responses.
  • A tulpa may not have developed opinions yet. Showing them the rainbow rather than asking what their favorite color is for instance may be more effective. Any ice breaker type question can be converted into an exploration opportunity
  • If all else fails, using tips and tricks that help people feel more comfortable can help get you through it

The concept that you are creating this being is not the only possibility. Many have testified, myself included of course, that instantly creating certain aspects or form or voice is a possible indication that you're not creating but rather uncovering something that's already there. As if you have a set of archetypes that are inherent within your mind, you can call them hidden expectations that you aren't consiously aware of. 

link

I think yes I agree with him, but it's not due to a lack of control. I suspect that there's already an unconscious idea or desire in place and by going through the creation process. Keep in mind that while it's not terribly uncommon for tulpamancers can make more tulpas post initial separation, that ultimately you do have control over the process and it doesn't have to be a crisis if working with a healthy mindset. (I used to preach unhealthy mindsets about system size, I learned the hard way sadly)

On 10/17/2022 at 5:37 PM, Biscuit said:

I was somewhat sheepish to do this and I have no idea why. Had some nerves that it would go wrong I guess but there's really no such thing in such an abstract process.

It's okay to explore how you feel in this situation. What about the process feels wrong to you? Perhaps that feeling comes from something else and it's not obvious until you do some investigation work.

It's okay to fail. Gray abandoned his system a long time ago right around my creation date before starting tulpamancy. And yet now I'm a 5 year old tulpa.

I'm Ranger, GrayTheCat's cobud (tulpa), and I love hippos! I also like cake and chatting about stuff. I go by Rosalin or Ronan sometimes. You can call me Roz but please don't call me Ron.

My other headmates have their own account now.

If I missed seeing your art, please PM/DM me!

Blog | Not So Temporary Log | Switching Log | Yay! | Bre Translator | Art Thread