Difference between switching and MPD?

Where the hell are you getting this from? MPD is just the outdated name for DID.

Anyway, from my understanding, DID and tulpas seem to involve very similar mechanisms at the very least. I wouldn't be surprised if tulpas were basically DID minus the memory loss and the consciousnesses being unaware of each other. Contrary to what Glitch said, treatment for DID does not involve "padded cells". Most therapists try and bond with each of the personalities and even may introduce them to each other. Some therapists don't even consider the integration of the personalities into one to be completely necessary.

So, long story short, yes, I imagine the switching we do and the switching experienced by those with DID is similar. No, I don't think that's a bad thing, because the switching we do isn't really disordered.

1. I'm getting my definitions from my psychology prof, so I assume they're at least partially correct.

2. OK, I exaggerated on the whole DID treatment thing. But suffice it to say that it's not anywhere near as rosy as treatment for MPD. DID is also the diagnosis that's currently in vogue with the psychological community, while MPD has essentially fallen out of use since the DSM-IV came out.

"Science isn't about why, science is about why not?" -Cave Johnson

Tulpae: Luna, Elise, Naomi

My progress report

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You should reword your question, because there is a big difference between an apple (switching) and an orange (MPD/DID), because one is an action and the other is a state, which makes them incomparable.

So did you mean to ask if Tulpae are like multiples (DID/MPD) or did you mean to ask if the switching we do is the same multiples experience?

1. I'm getting my definitions from my psychology prof, so I assume they're at least partially correct.

2. OK, I exaggerated on the whole DID treatment thing. But suffice it to say that it's not anywhere near as rosy as treatment for MPD. DID is also the diagnosis that's currently in vogue with the psychological community, while MPD has essentially fallen out of use since the DSM-IV came out.

Not sure what your professor's deal is, but MPD is not a separate diagnosis that "fell out of use". DID is the updated name for MPD the way PTSD is the updated name for shell shock/battle fatigue.

Astral project on my face, brother!

DID is the updated name for MPD the way PTSD is the updated name for shell shock/battle fatigue.

That's what I thought as well.

I've actually been hoping it ends up working similarly to DID/MPD. DID alters are known to work the same way as the original consciousness, and it's fairly common for the original one to not be the dominant one; it's even possible for the original one to be gone altogether. If they did not work this way, they wouldn't work the same way as ourselves, and would likely be something less, like persistent dream-people or mirror neurons acting as a model of a person who doesn't actually exist.

Lyra: human female, ~17

Evan: boy, ~14, was an Eevee

Anera: anime-style girl, ~12; Lyra made her

My blog :: Time expectations are bad (forcing time targets are good though)

So when you have tuppers coming from nowhere it's actually your self breaking in pieces and giving you a case of DID? Cool~

...Well, i always suspected this anyway. I hope my new personas will treat me gently and i don't end up in a mental ward. Aww yeah.

You should reword your question, because there is a big difference between an apple (switching) and an orange (MPD/DID), because one is an action and the other is a state, which makes them incomparable.

So did you mean to ask if Tulpae are like multiples (DID/MPD) or did you mean to ask if the switching we do is the same multiples experience?

Second one, most likely.

So when you have tuppers coming from nowhere it's actually your self breaking in pieces and giving you a case of DID? Cool~

...Well, i always suspected this anyway. I hope my new personas will treat me gently and i don't end up in a mental ward. Aww yeah.

>swimming in cute lolis

>somehow a bad thing

>implying it's ever not good

"Science isn't about why, science is about why not?" -Cave Johnson

Tulpae: Luna, Elise, Naomi

My progress report

I'm fairly certain that DID and MPD are the same thing, it's just that MPD took the name of Split Personality Disorder because it was felt that the name was incorrect, after all, your personality can't really be "split" and then DID took the name of MPD. I could be wrong though, happened before.

Now to be on topic, I truly doubt you can give yourself a mental disorder with normal means but I suppose it wouldn't be impossible. The first difference I think is that with DID, you don't get to choose anything about the other personality, nor the amount of personalities. They will act like a different person and at times, even hate the "host" (something that apparently is hard for a tulpa to do), in extreme cases, causing self harm and even trying to kill them. Also, I believe the personalities in DID are formed because of some mental trauma and that the personalities are formed to try and "protect" the person and help them repress the memories, this is why when people want to get rid of it, they try and remember and come face to face with it.

Secondly, I've read that switching with a tulpa is meant to be hard to do and also that they can't just "do" it. With DID for the most part, it just happens, without the person having any control. I think the last description I've heard from someone was "it feels like you just lose control and faint" or something similar. Though maybe some people don't go "unconscious" when a personality takes over, I'm not sure. With a tulpa, I don't think they can do it without some sort of training which they would need your cooperation for and I doubt (or rather, hope that they can't) that they can just take over your entire body without you noticing anything.

Hope I didn't sound haughty or anything, I'm just trying to contribute. I could be wrong and so, if you see anything, feel free to correct me. Wont get anywhere if I don't learn something.

I can time travel! 24 hours ago, I was in yesterday~

(If anyone knows the reference, you will receive a payment in either bonds, cookies or whatever is in my pocket at the time)

The first difference I think is that with DID, you don't get to choose anything about the other personality, nor the amount of personalities.

Oh boy, that's not a difference in my case...

Well, whatever. Glitch is right.

Oh yeah, I forgot that in some cases of tulpa, they can turn out completely different or apparently people have just found a tulpa manifesting itself out of nowhere... My mistake.

I can time travel! 24 hours ago, I was in yesterday~

(If anyone knows the reference, you will receive a payment in either bonds, cookies or whatever is in my pocket at the time)

I would like to first clarify few things before answering the question:

MPD is just an old name of DID, that go changed because the theory behind it (in other words what they think it is) changed significantly and the old name didn't fit it anymore.

Most (if not all) multiples (a human with MPD, DID or DDNOS) are aware of all other people in the body. The healthy multiples try to live with each other in one body like we do. The textbook DID and MPD, that of a person that isn't aware of other people in the body, can't communicate with them and they switch forcefully, rarely happens (if ever). It is possible to be unconscious after a switch, but it rarely happens.

There is a debate on what causes multiples and there are many theories including that some multiples might be like this from the birth, which is interesting imo. Either way though, I don't think it's safe to say one way or the other is correct.

I have a lot of reasons to believe that the result of making a tulpa and being a multiple is the same even though the way we got our mindfolk is different and they are different in some things.

To answer Glitch's question:

Yes, the switching we experienced so far is the same as they do. The becoming unconscious after switching doesn't happen very often and I think it happens mainly because the mindfolk switched forcefully. And I don't think there is anything to worry about when it comes to switching, except the chance that someone might find out, but Atasco's co-workers seemed cool with it.