Polyphasic sleeping and tulpae

Frostwolf

Before I even heard about tulpae I tried polyphasic sleeping. There are a couple of different sleeping paterns designed to decrease the total time spent sleeping every day while still getting enough rest to not feel asleep while being awake.

In the last summer I tried the Uberman sleeping pattern which consists of 6 * 20 minute naps every day with a 4 hour spread between each nap. The upside is that you will have a total of around 6-7 hours of free time every day! The downside is that you can't do anything that is longer than 3 hours and 40 minutes consecutively because you will have to take a nap. It can also get in the way of school and/or work. Some other bonuses that only occur after a long time (1-3 months) include falling asleep almost anywhere in a matter of seconds. Lucid dreaming the moment you fall asleep and people report that sleeping 20 minutes in this state looks like it lasted hours. Some other sites can probably explain the effects of polyphasic sleeping better than me.

In the end I failed my attempt because I kept oversleeping even though I set my alarmclock to go off. I just wake up hours after it went off with absolutely no memory of me turning it off. I even tried putting my phone inside a few plastic bags so that I would have to unwrap it if before I could use the touchscreen to turn the alarm off. I just woke up with the bags scattered around the room and not having any memory of me unwrapping it.

My parents are going away for a week in about 2-3 weeks and I'll have the house to myself. I'm going to do a second attempt but this time I will try the Everyman sleep pattern. This one has 3 * 20 minute naps spread throughout the day and a core sleep that lasts around 3.5 hours. The difference is that this pattern is easyer to get used to and it's more flexible meaning the naps doesn't have to have the 4 hour spread. The downside is that you probably won't sleeping lucid the entire time during the core sleep and that you will sleep around 2.5hours a day more than you would if you chose the Uberman pattern.

Now to the point.

Some people have said that sleep deprivation is good for having hallucinations or at least something to do with tulpae. I've now had tulpae for around 9-10 weeks. Before attempting to do any of the sleeping patterns I will have to deprive myself of sleep as much as possible. I'm probably going to not sleep for a day or 2 and then sleep according to the Everyman pattern.

I'm also currently at imposition state with one of my tulpae and will try to see if my polyphasic sleeping experiment will have any effect on my tulpae and/or if they have any effect on my polyphasic sleeping.

I'm probably going to posts my results here when the time comes but if anyone has anything they would like me to do/try or keep track of during my attempt please ask.

You like my kitten? come on over for a closer inspection!

Newbie tulpamancer on the loose.

Check out my progress report:

http://tulpa.info/forums/Thread-Another-Lyra-tulpa

There is indeed some brain cycles linked to sleep, and messing with it allows to get easy lucid dreaming, hallucinations etc. But you don't have to change you sleep pattern alot. Going to bed 4-5 hours later than usual is enough to get any results, if you match with your brain cycles and know what to do when right time comes. Ill say it again so no one will dismiss importance of these words - you have to know when and what to do. You have to train to focus your mind, otherwise you will miss everything.

But if you train focus of your mind, you don't have to do anything of this. At one point you will start lucid dreaming in regular sleep, and getting hallucinations will not be a big problem.

There is indeed some brain cycles linked to sleep, and messing with it allows to get easy lucid dreaming, hallucinations etc. But you don't have to change you sleep pattern alot. Going to bed 4-5 hours later than usual is enough to get any results, if you match with your brain cycles and know what to do when right time comes. Ill say it again so no one will dismiss importance of these words - you have to know when and what to do. You have to train to focus your mind, otherwise you will miss everything.

But if you train focus of your mind, you don't have to do anything of this. At one point you will start lucid dreaming in regular sleep, and getting hallucinations will not be a big problem.

My main reason to do a second attempt at polyphasic sleeping is not because I want to see if it affects my tulpae. I want to do it because it will save me massive amounts of time. The only reason I decided to put it on a thread is because I have tulpae. I just thought it would be a nice contribution to something that isn't researched before. At least not with a different sleeping pattern (or so I think). Sleeping 5-6 hours later then normal is still monophasic sleeping. mono referring to one big sleep each day. Poly referring to mutiple smaller sleeping sessions, or naps.

During monophasic sleep, which is probably the pattern you and 99% of other people have(including me right now), it takes around 90 minutes for a full sleep cycle. During a cycle you go through a number of different sleeping states. As far as I know none but the REM sleep state is needed to actually prevent you from going insane. This is also the state where you dream. In a cycle the REM state is the last state you enter while sleeping before continueing with a new cycle. You don't wake up in between cycles though but if you do it's the best time to wake up because your brain is not busy. If you go to sleep but prevent the brain from ever reaching REM sleep the brain will make adjustments. The longer you prevent the brain from reaching this state the faster you will get through the first states and ented REM sleep and eventually just skip them all together. Or maybe just enter them for a little while.

I researched polyphasic sleeping before the summer so my knowledge might be a bit off. It's best not to ask my any questions about polyphasic sleeping itself but there are many places you might get answers if you get curious.

You like my kitten? come on over for a closer inspection!

Newbie tulpamancer on the loose.

Check out my progress report:

http://tulpa.info/forums/Thread-Another-Lyra-tulpa

After years of personally researching and experimenting with polyphasic sleep, I came to the conclusion that it is cattle feces. Stampi had developed polyphasic sleep not as a method to squeeze more hours out of a day, but merely to minimize the effects of necessary sleep deprivation (ie during long months out at sea) and not as a lifestyle. There's a reason we are so inclined to sleeping mono or biphasically. It is the best way to get maximum cognitive performance. Here's a quote that kind of sums it up:

"I don't understand the drive to sleep less. It seems like anyone who wants to hack their brain and schedule for more productivity ought to focus more on optimizing eight hours of wakefulness rather than concluding that eight uninterrupted hours of rest is the problem."

As an alternative, try biphasic sleep. That's what I do now, and there are all kinds of studies showing how effective naps are at increasing brain productivity.

Just.. In moderation.

Tulpa: Sierra

Forcing since July 2012

Couguhl’s Progress Report

Heh, I did this too 2 years ago. Everyman worked out alright for me, if I remember correctly I did a 2 hour core sleep at night and three 20 min naps during the day. The reason I stopped is.. too much time on my hands! There's nothing to do at night, but I don't have THAT much homework that it would take up 5 hours to do, so I mostly browsed on tehhh interwebzorz - and after a few months, there was nothing left to browse :( I got bored of anime, video games, YouTube, forums, everything you can think of in those few months. So yeah, since I'm a kid, I figured it's not good to deprive myself of sleep while I'm still growing and stopped polyphasic sleeping. I'll probably start this up again when I go to college, since it seems that takes a whole lot of time, but for now 7 hrs/day is good enough :)

Oh and, good luck!

It might be because I'm an accomplished insomniac, but I find it takes about five days of being awake before hallucinations become possible, and eight days before they become uncontrollable. Two days will just make you sleepy. But, do go ahead with the idea. I might join you actually.

Let's focus on the matter at hand, shall we?

"I don't understand the drive to sleep less. It seems like anyone who wants to hack their brain and schedule for more productivity ought to focus more on optimizing eight hours of wakefulness rather than concluding that eight uninterrupted hours of rest is the problem."

Why not do both and save even more time?