Well I've searched the entire forum and I'm kind of surprised this thread has not been made yet.

I am assuming that most people have read the book Fight Club or at least seen the movie.

If not, I really suggest you check it out.

(Spoiler Ahead)

Tyler Durden is pretty much the Narrator's Tulpa (with the exception of the physical contact and possession) that created himself (or created unintentionally by the Narrator)

He describes himself as everything the Narrator wants to be ("I look like you want to look, I f*ck like you want to f*ck, etc"). He is the ultimate Alpha male.

What I'm wondering is what could be the repercussions of making a Tyler Durden-like Tulpa but with more positive character traits (not as cynical and postmodern).

I'm a male and I would want my Tulpa to be somewhat of a rolemodel/buddy/partner-in-crime, and he seems like a good character outline of a potential Tulpa.

Could it be possible for the Tupla to get jealous of the actual character it was based on? I read in one of the guides that the Tulpa could get discouraged being compared to an ideal that is unattainable. By knowing who Tyler Durden is, and knowing what he eventually does (Try to take over the Narrator's life and constantly possess him in his sleep), could it be possible for the Tulpa to get out of control and try the same pursuits, striving to be like the character it was modeled after?

I thought so too, but apparently I wasn't paying enough attention or some shit. He's not a tulpa so much as he is just Jack being schizophrenic, or so I'm told.

"Science isn't about why, science is about why not?" -Cave Johnson

Tulpae: Luna, Elise, Naomi

My progress report

I thought so too, but apparently I wasn't paying enough attention or some shit. He's not a tulpa so much as he is just Jack being schizophrenic, or so I'm told.

Thanks. That makes a lot of sense actually.

But at the same time, creating a Tyler-like tulpa in theory should be possible.

No, I'm not an angsty teenager that wants to recreate Fight Club, I just really like the essence of the character and I wonder what would be the outcome if I made a tulpa in the image of Tyler.

Could it be possible for the Tupla to get jealous of the actual character it was based on? I read in one of the guides that the Tulpa could get discouraged being compared to an ideal that is unattainable. By knowing who Tyler Durden is, and knowing what he eventually does (Try to take over the Narrator's life and constantly possess him in his sleep), could it be possible for the Tulpa to get out of control and try the same pursuits, striving to be like the character it was modeled after?

As long as your Tulpa has an original identity and a personality that's not completely copied, I don't think anything bad could happen. We all draw inspiration from somewhere, it's not like you can make up original personality traits or anything. I'd be afraid if your tulpa was supposed to actually be Tyler Durden. In that case, preconceived notions like that could screw you over in the long run. It's all in your belief system, and you can influence that.

Actually, thats what you do on most of psychological trainings. Imagine yourself as successfull, or imagine your hero doing what you want to do with easy. Some trainings go as far as setting triggers so you are able in any situation to imagine your hero beside you doing what you are afraid of, and after that you will be able to do anything. Thats very rough description, but bear with it. And no, your tulpa will not try to take over you, bomb big corporations and banks etc. Except YOU are willing to do it. But in that case tulpa or not, someday you will do it for sure.

But I don't think you quite understand that Tyler is Tyler because he bombs, fights, goes where he pleases, doing very negative things, takes over his host etc. Tyler will lose alot of his appeal if you strip him from his revolutionary and criminal spirit. But anyway you can try.

Making a Durden-esque tulpa? Sure thing, go for it.

Was Durden actually a tulpa? Doubt it. He was more along the lines of schizophrenia than what we're doing.

Orange juice helps with concentration headaches.

This sounds like a horrible book and I'm glad I never read it.