Chupi

Dealing with Spam/Adbots

Look at the off topic section on most other forums. Then look at ours. We have a lot more rude and crude as well as circlejerk, which is what I mean by /b/-like.

I would like to change this so it's a more welcoming place for civil discussion. We should probably remove the "generally unmoderated and uncontrolled" part. One possibility is to add a separate opt-in uncontrolled off topic board where people can circlejerk and be crude, something like GameFAQs' LUE board.

Lyra: human female, ~17

Evan: boy, ~14, was an Eevee

Anera: anime-style girl, ~12; Lyra made her

My blog :: Time expectations are bad (forcing time targets are good though)

Well duh, the off-topic section is like that because it was made to be like that. You are allowing it to be that way by having its description say that it's unmoderated and uncontrolled.

Buuuut you again abused your power by following a rule that only exists in your head. Good job. First you tell of the new rule, then you enforce it. And you can't really enforce posts that were made before the rule came to be, only what comes after. Come on, moderating isn't that hard.

The THE SUBCONCIOUS ochinchin occultists frt.sys (except Roswell because he doesn't want to be a part of it)

How have I "abused my power" now? I didn't delete stuff (apart from the spambot's), I didn't warn, I didn't ban (again apart from the spambot). I mentioned a prospective change to how the off topic section is structured and managed. I gave you advance notice of a change that may or may not happen.

What? It's DEFINITELY a load of phooey that most other people's off topic forums don't have loads of jokes, crudeness, etc, in the posts. Unless it's a professional forum (cop forums, professor forums), you will most certainly find that naturally because of the sense of friendliness, casualness, community among the members.

I definitely don't see how this was inappropriate for an Off-Topic section.

I can't even say that most other forums don't have some of that in their ON topic threads. Not in the thread titles themselves, but in the posts later on after the thread settles down and the original purpose was fulfilled.

I just don't see how or why off-topic sections need rules or natures prohibiting crudeness or jokes, or even "too much," quantity wise. It is not as if people are going to the off-topic section for needed guidance or info involving tulpas, etc. I hope that this rule doesn't become official and that Chupi doesn't decide to use moderator abilities to enforce his/her idea of what the off topic forum should be like.

(In answering about the phooey I also forgot to add that others' sections aren't relevant anyway)

My lip hurts.

Answering encourages laziness. A good host would search and find that their question has been asked before, and read the answers before making another question in the same thread asking for maybe something else they wondered about. Seriously, posting another thread that is identical to an old question helps no one, post in the old thread to show that you actually have done your research. Necrobumping isn't really a thing in Questions and Answers assuming you're actually asking something else instead of just adding in useless shit. No one likes useless bumps.

The new thread with an old question won't be ignored. It will be taken care of and the user will be told to actually search next time/pointed in the right direction.

You abused your power by locking a thread people used for chatting, Chupi. A thread that in no way broke the rules given to us.

The THE SUBCONCIOUS ochinchin occultists frt.sys (except Roswell because he doesn't want to be a part of it)

The OP of that thread broke the rules by posting commercial advertising and by being a spambot, which is not allowed anywhere on this site site.

The OP might have. He can be taken care of without locking the entire thread, which became more than just a spam ad thread.