How do you make yourself sit down and force?

OpticThrill

I just can't seem to do it consistently. I get restless, feel like I'm doing nothing, and ultimately the effort just makes my attitude towards the whole tulpa thing worse.

Also, I can't reconcile the tulpa phenomenon with a scientific worldview. I keep having extreme doubts that this is all pseudoscience nonsense and that it isn't possible. How have you worked around this, if you have?

Guest amber5885

Ask yourself this.

If it is just psuedoscience nonesense then how. One there is a forum fully dedicated to people who share the same basic experiences?

If this were nonesense then every person here would be wasting their time.

I haven't been wasting my time for the last twenty years. I can't explain what Toby is but he has saved my life, helped me to quit smoking and has been there for me through thick and thin. He is as real to me as any flesh and blood person I know.

It truly is one of those things that will become real through experience.

Ask yourself this.

If it is just psuedoscience nonesense then how. One there is a forum fully dedicated to people who share the same basic experiences?

If this were nonesense then every person here would be wasting their time.

I haven't been wasting my time for the last twenty years. I can't explain what Toby is but he has saved my life, helped me to quit smoking and has been there for me through thick and thin. He is as real to me as any flesh and blood person I know.

It truly is one of those things that will become real through experience.

There are entire forums dedicated to chemtrails. Doesn't make them real. Apparently my mind needs better evidence than that, sadly. Sorry.

I don't want to cause doubt in anyone else here. I just want to overcome mine.

... I can't reconcile the tulpa phenomenon with a scientific worldview. I keep having extreme doubts that this is all pseudoscience nonsense and that it isn't possible. How have you worked around this, if you have?

I am very skeptical by nature, I still have doubts, but you might try this: http://preview.tinyurl.com/nnjos5w

It is a yet unpublished article of an ongoing study by Dr. Samuel Veissière. The way I see it, if an entire team of cognitive scientists is researching it, it cant all be complete bollocks.

As for sitting down... I have had to set a time and stick to it: one hour of active forcing in the evening. Talk about my day and reflect that sort of thing. People should probably do that sort of thing even if they aren't trying to tulpaforce, introspection is a good habit to get into.

I am very skeptical by nature, I still have doubts, but you might try this: http://preview.tinyurl.com/nnjos5w

It is a yet unpublished article of an ongoing study by Dr. Samuel Veissière. The way I see it, if an entire team of cognitive scientists is researching it, it cant all be complete bollocks.

As for sitting down... I have had to set a time and stick to it: one hour of active forcing in the evening. Talk about my day and reflect that sort of thing. People should probably do that sort of thing even if they aren't trying to tulpaforce, introspection is a good habit to get into.

Thanks for the answer. I've tried again and again to set a time and stick to it, but I never do it. I don't see the point in trying the same thing that failed over and over again, I guess.

I don’t think anyone can find reconciliation with tulpas with scientism, i.e., the scientific method being the end-all be-all worldview for learning and such. And the thread’s question itself is pretty much a pseudo question, or just a straw man set up to instantly disprove any validity in the tulpa endeavor in the first place.

It’s like asking if purpose presupposes life; in comes the meta questions, and back to the “meh, whatever, I’ll just go back to living.” You’ve already planned a futuristic framework for failure anyway, and if you can’t go for something where you don’t know if there’s going to be any emotional reward with someone talking inside of your head, the question probably won’t reach a satisfactory response because of the extreme demands that lead to a dead end since there’s no empirical underpinnings with the tulpa endeavor in the first place.

; when you start seeing your mind creating all of these experiences instantly, and all you have to do is sit in the back seat and watch what’s going on, and be able to feel it as well within your head, it’s not something you end up undermining, or demanding empirical underpinnings to be established; it’s just a self-evident thing you have to find yourself; you start enjoying being occupied by the wonders created in your head, and knowing you can go back to reality at the same time without all of that trivial escapism trend people go through affecting you.

So if those mental barriers with finding validity in the endeavor are making things difficult for you when there’s clearly a dead-end in finding validity, for the time being, it’s probably a matter of garnering a different worldview instead of letting mainstream Science dictate how you apply yourself in your life. When someone feels it isn’t probable, it’s mostly having an underlying assumption that their cognition in general can’t possibly go further than necessary, because they feel that’s where it stops, and if the concept can’t resonate with that, of course one would naturally be skeptical about it.

But it’s only until those breakthroughs that we can’t predict happens is what gradually makes it all subside. For me, it gets to the point where I can’t know, won’t know, and don’t know how it’s going to be proven; I just enjoy whatever goes on in my subjective experience, and embrace the agnostic disposition. If you can’t find joy or some kind of potential for emotional reward, the tulpa endeavor doesn’t really need to be something in your favor. People can still live out their lives just fine; it’s just that some people want to pierce deep into the philosophical stuff with ethics and all. And when someone can’t find Science and Philosophy intertwining with their assessment in life, it’s best to move on.

TL;DR:

You're confusing how people apply philosophy, ethical approaches (e.g. normative ethics on how one ought to treat a tulpa as sentient), and such with tulpas in belief that we're basing it on a scientific method(s) even though it should be self-evident that there aren't any empirical underpinnings yet to sustain that disposition. And because you seek validity through pre-existing and mainstream Science, even though it will be a dead-end no matter how much you go into it, you are thus promoting the pseudoscience to make it real to you when it's not being made real in the forum in itself.

In other words, you seem to create sham scenarios that rarely happen in this forum, and feel that how people personally presume how one ought to act when forcing, and what motivates one to force is done through scientific inquiry; it's being done through anecdotes, experiential cases, ethics, philosophy and things of that nature, but not something where we honestly believe there's empirical underpinnings validating this.

Those empirical underpinnings from other resources absolved from this forum may contribute to popping up theories, but it's not the end-game assessment plan we use to absolute law, especially if doing so creates a dead-end on empirical validation in the first place.

Pseudoscience - a collection of beliefs or practices mistakenly regarded as being based on scientific method.

I've talked about this over a broad area many times, and I can't be bothered to go find the snippets, so..

(This post is about science vs. belief and tulpas as entirely mind-made creations, in case you'd rather believe otherwise, feel free to ignore)

I follow the scientific method and skeptical thinking to a T. It would drive me crazy to leave any working of my mind unquestioned, to take anything on blind faith. I spent years learning about new age spirituality (which greatly improved my life through positive reinforcement, waybackwhen) while figuring out whether or not every belief was beneficial even should it be false. (Erin Pavlina passed this test literally a hundred times over) I've outgrown the belief system, but I did at least find that lucid dreaming and intuition were real, and learned a billion life lessons. But I wouldn't be caught for a second preaching any of the faithy stuff, because if I can't prove it true I do not imply so to others.

So, tulpas. I'm a little confused on how people keep deciding they're "fake" or "a pseudoscience", but when I put myself in the mindset of a newcomer it makes a little more sense. There is nothing supernatural required to be believed about tulpas. You might be thinking of the soulbinding or similar belief sets, which obviously I refuse to either believe or disbelieve in entirely. But tulpamancing at its base is just neuromancing to create another persona(s) for your mind to work with. For a science-minded individual, which you say you are, there is no belief involved. You are training your brain to experience a phenomenon that's been loosely organized into something we call tulpamancy. It's all in your head, but that's not a bad thing, in fact it's all there ever can be. A tulpa does not have to be supernatural to be independent, or sentient. You train your brain to have the tulpa function on its own, obviously still using your same brain but not your own conscious intent. (Though a mix of the two is optimal)

I guess I'm still speaking as if it should be obvious, bad habit to think I can convince so easily. But I promise you, tulpas require no unfounded faith nor suspension of disbelief if you're moderately open-minded. It's easier for tulpamancy to be simplified and "This is just how it is" for the large majority who don't really care, but we're also not hiding solid facts either. Healthy skepticism is an invaluable trait, and it's one of the most important aspects of any scientist (which in that sense I wholeheartedly consider myself). Yet I can talk to my tulpas without thinking "This is fake this is just my brain making stuff up I bet I'm influencing what they're saying right now", because I fully understand and accept their existence for what it is.

Luckily for you, this kind of skepticism leads to the strongest relationships if you can work your way through it. It's one thing to just accept "tulpas are tulpas, and I love mine", and another entirely to understand everything they are and accept that fully. It's enlightening, really.

Hi! I'm Lumi, host of Reisen, Tewi, Flandre and Lucilyn.

Everyone deserves to love and be loved. It's human nature.

My tulpas and I have a Q&A thread, which was the first (and largest) of its kind. Feel free to ask us about tulpamancy stuff there.

If it helps, you could just put an emphasis on passive forcing instead of active forcing. (Active forcing being the "sit down and force" type of thing, while passive forcing is just striking up a conversation with your tulpa while doing other things.) I know that passive forcing is a bit difficult when your tulpa is less sentient, but, my tulpas were created almost entirely through passive forcing (some of them were even created before I came to this site and really learned about tulpas), so it's not impossible. As someone who has trouble concentrating for long periods of time on forcing, passive forcing is definitely easier, for me at least. It's worth trying out for yourself.

Pinky is not a pony. She's an imp.

Sunray is an angel-imp. Ex is humanoid. Kael is a dragon. Magnum is a dog.