A&J

Diversity in tulpas?

I have noticed that I don't see a lot of diversity in tulpas (not their hosts) so I was wondering what the theory behind that is. I have always struggled with diversifying my tulpas, and it can even be hard to just simply visualize any one who looks far different from me. 

I think it also might be hard because people have different experiences based off of how they look. What are your views on this? 

I don't mean disrespect to anyone, I just would like to know a few perspectives. 

Thanks! 

Host of @SadieShores 

"try to be a rainbow in someone else's cloud"  

Progress report

Can you clarify a little, what do you mean by diversity? Are you saying that a lot of tulpas look alike, even from different hosts?

CM - 30th April 1997 - Host of the system

Desmond - 21st April 2014

L - 5th May 2014

Nevira - 14th December 2014

Misa - 5th December 2015

Roska - 22nd July 2019

Danyla - 13th July 2020

Progress report  Art thread  Ask us anything lol

Well usually they're humanoid races, beastfolk, some are pokemon or ponies going way back, and some have animal forms like shapeshifters, I have a shapeshifter in my system.

My systemmates all have human forms except Gwen who always has bird-like wings on her back and there are lots of 'people' in my headspace that are not officially in my system because they're more like soulbonds and aren't very active. One is dragonkin hybrid, there are several dragonkin, and other beastfolk. We also have Ents and talking animals.

I've heard of androids, AI, even the wonderland itself as a headmate.

So there's a bit of diversity, but still mostly human.

I agree, I'm a little confused on what you mean by diversity. I think I know what you mean, but please correct me if I have the wrong idea.

In regards to gender, systems are usually all one gender with the host being the opposite or the whole system is one gender. It's less common to see systems that are more mixed or 50-50 in terms of gender. All gender systems are sometimes a consequence of the host preferring the opposite gender or questioning their gender, and sometimes it's because the host thinks it would be weird to have a tulpa that is the opposite gender. Sometimes it happens naturally without a second thought and these happen to be the common outcomes.

I would assume most tulpas are the same race as their hosts. A tulpa who's race doesn't match the body's race would be controversial at best and racist at worse. It's weird given gender is seen differently, but culturally it would be a huge problem if tulpas explored being a different race. 

As for human/pony/anthro-humanoid, form trends are consistent with the preferences of the tulpamancers and tulpas in the community. A lot of tulpamancers started out from the MLP community, and a lot of hosts at the time created pony tulpas because they associated ponies with companionship. As the community grew, more tulpas became humanoid, embraced anthro forms, or other forms from popular shows/games like Undertale and Touhou.

I'm Ranger, Gray's/Cat_ShadowGriffin's tulpa, and I love hippos! I also like cake and chatting about stuff.

My other headmates have their own account now.

Temporary Log | Switching LogcBox | Yay!

Well, we've got both guys and gals in this system, equal amounts too if counting host, and even one non-binary person, so I think we're at least somewhat diverse in that regard. It just sort of happened this way, I was more comfortable around "masculine" personality traits when I was younger 'cause I didn't fit in with feminine girls, so my first two were male. The third one I made female for the sake of variety I guess. The fourth and fifth ones showed up on their own as they are, female and male, and the sixth one was created male but figured out a different gender identity later. I didn't plan to have certain percentages of different genders for the sake of diversity or anything, it happened on it's own. 

As for race... Do aliens and dryads count? I wouldn't really feel right if I made a tulpa that was a different ethnicity from my own, for various reasons that I don't know how to describe, but Ranger put it pretty well. That being said, we've got one alien, a dryad and a shape-shifting wolf, and the rest are humanoids with different kinds of parts attached, like elf ears, wings and tails and stuff like that. No two tulpas are the same. 

I'd say we're pretty diverse in sexualities as well, now that I think about it, got aro-ace, gay, bi, pan, and a couple of unknowns 'cause they're young. Though, that doesn't relate to appearance.

We all look really different from one another, even if we're mostly the same race. It's become easier to see those differences over time as I learned to visualize better, in the beginning L and Desmond had pretty similar faces if I remember correctly, and they were close in skin tone as well. Now Desmond's damn near albino and L's grown older and more masculine in his features. The same goes for the others as well, they start out kinda similar or "fuzzy" and start looking distinctly different from one another at some point when I've gotten used to visualizing them and start seeing details.

I can't really draw these differences too well, all of my faces tend to look similar, but they're there. 

Edit: Ok, I think I had a point there somewhere but I forgot what I was saying along the way.

Edited by CM

CM - 30th April 1997 - Host of the system

Desmond - 21st April 2014

L - 5th May 2014

Nevira - 14th December 2014

Misa - 5th December 2015

Roska - 22nd July 2019

Danyla - 13th July 2020

Progress report  Art thread  Ask us anything lol

People like anime and anime girls tend to be extremely common, if not anime, then normal girls apply too, especially in male hosts. I rarely see, here at least, the active community on .info, animals or non-humanoid creatures. People like what's familiar I guess, well, maybe furries will make anthro tulpas obviously. And I have a feeling that animal tulpas would be more popular with spiritual people, the whole 'animal spirit' and the like.

I feel like we're the epitome of non-diversity because both my host and I look the exactly same minus outfit and personal touchs maybe. I've never ever seen another developed tulpa who's based off the host (physical appearance mostly) and remained looking the same. Only 'can I make a tulpa off myself' experiment questions that never go anywhere.

Hello, I'm Mirichu, although you can call me Miichu, and I'm the main fronter of this system.

The others are Miri, who's the original host and co-fronts with me and Akai, but she doesn't talk much here.

Progress Report and my Art Thread

Waka Waka x3

I didn't forget about her, I just said that Miri and I lack diversity, it makes no sense including Akai on that -no diversity-

Hello, I'm Mirichu, although you can call me Miichu, and I'm the main fronter of this system.

The others are Miri, who's the original host and co-fronts with me and Akai, but she doesn't talk much here.

Progress Report and my Art Thread

Waka Waka x3

well I don't think us in our system look alike at all, but we're similar in that we're not like, an animal, an anime girl, a biker dude and a floating ball of energy if that's what you mean...

but it sounded like you meant you struggle to visualize your tulpas looking different and not just like you? presuuumably everyone but Miri does that just fine

I could see struggling to have your tulpas not sound like you, especially when some people can't even hear words in their minds, but visually? sounds like you just need practice visualizing things, maybe look at art/pictures as inspiration/reference and practice imagining different people (and things and places too)

also, we know tons of people with non-human-looking tulpas, not even including ponies

Edited by Lucilyn

Hi I'm one of Lumi's tulpas! I like rain and dancing and dancing in the rain and if there's frogs there too that's bonus points.

All of my posts should be read at a hundred miles per hour because that's probably how they were written

Please talk to me https://community.tulpa.info/thread-ask-lumi-s-tulpas

46 minutes ago, Lucilyn said:

we're not like, an animal, an anime girl

Bear fact checking:

Is Touhou Anime? Yes, yes it is, not just technically, actually. What I bet Lucilyn is saying though is that they don't think of themselves as the drawn anime girls, but rather, human women, but some do have actual anime girls in their system.

Are they animals? Of course, we're all animals, and some even have bunny ears. Though for this one, I'm going to defer to Lucilyn because they're not 'animals' in the sense that they're not quadrupedal lower creatures but also not humans in origin? Moon-rabbit-kin are not human I would presume.

Also, Akai is a Fox-girl, that's diversity.

"Someone" was an active user here last year and they had a tiger-like actual quadrupedal animal named Damien. We also had another active system here with an antrho.

Edited by Bear