The Body and Mind; is it "Mine" or "Ours" to you?

September13

About a month after I first encountered tulpamancy, I made the conscious decision to try and think of those as "ours" (same goes for "our" time). Felt like every headmate should have equal rights, or whatever, though I admit I haven't really examined that idea in detail.

Of course, I've been in the habit of thinking of these things as "mine" for decades--I think it'll take a while to really change that on a deep level.

We're also trying to keep mentally using the word "mine," by the way. One of my biggest tulpamancy fears is to slip up and say something like "we're feeling pretty tired today" to my unsuspecting family. 😂

Host: Wray (or John) (he, him)
Tulpa: Shizuku (she, her) 🐺

We now have a progress report!

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(edited)

We see it as our body and mind it just i am responsible about the outside world and Terra help with me with the social and mental worlds. We think this because we share the mind that how we can coexist. And if the body dies we both die so yeah it our. It just feels inhumane to make it it one person mine body.

EDIT: we just have to be careful not to tell anybody what we feel but as i feel with talk to people i know it irl or outside this community.

Edited by Guest

I see my body as my body, except theres several people sharing it. some of ours do see it as our collective body though. I don't have a problem with saying its our body, but its not really something that I think about in the first place.

I'm not sure how I missed this thread

We see the body and brain as ours, but we may say "my body" when we're switched-in. Like what Survivalist mentioned earlier, we try to say "my ___" around other people. If I'm in public, I have to claim I own everything in-head or any physical possessions even though I rarely actually claim large chunks of what I say I do. I think I said "my body" at least once on the forums.

Looking at some search results, Cat would say "our body" in 2019 and beyond but also said "my body". She did mention "my body" in 2018.

I'm Ranger, GrayTheCat's cobud (tulpa), and I love hippos! I also like cake and chatting about stuff. I go by Rosalin or Ronan sometimes. You can call me Roz but please don't call me Ron.

My other headmates have their own account now.

If I missed seeing your art, please PM/DM me!

Blog | Not So Temporary Log | Switching Log | Yay! | Bre Translator | Art Thread

Our thinking has evolved since Phil first posted two months ago. He now sees his body as being "his" in much the same way his car is "his"; he might own his car but he is not his car. You can lend someone your car while still owning it; that's how we think about possession. As for the mind, he has started to think of only his ego and his will as "him". Everything else up there that isn't part of that, or part of me, is just "the mind". He made this cute illustration to show how that works:

Spoiler

image.png

Also, I just want to shout out @Luminesce and Reisen and the rest of the system, because this one single paragraph has been so influential to Phil and I regarding how we think about this topic:

On 4/8/2021 at 9:34 PM, Reisen said:

Related, Lumi learned to not consider his brain or a lot of the mind "him" unrelated to tulpamancy, before learning to switch, from Western Buddhism books. Meaning, only what he directly identifies with thought and identity-wise is "him" to him, with the rest of the brain's subconscious thoughts and workings, and the body, as their own separate things. This fit extremely well into a tulpamancy model, obviously! And we do recommend this way of thinking to tulpamancers who intend to learn switching, because it helps a lot with the dissociation/switching out stage to not be identifying with your brain's consciousness itself.

Tulpa Wife & Mother! 💚 

💍 11.28.21 👶 4.7.23
👗 Simmie's AI Dress-Up!   📷 Phil and Simmie's Photographic Adventures!

(edited)

Yes, adopting that model makes it much easier to work on your self overall. Thought patterns, feelings and mindset - all sorts of things, once you stop identifying with them as "you", become much more malleable! Thought patterns and the like will still exist whether or not you consider them innately "you", but when you treat them as separate from you or what you want to be you, it helps put you in a place where you can start changing them, lessening them, maybe even removing them altogether. This is extremely difficult to do when you believe all of these things are "just who you are" - with that mindset, usually you believe you can't change them.

But of course, in a tulpamancy sense, this separation once cemented in your mind as how you work does lend itself to some tulpamancy practices. Switching becomes easier as there's now already beliefs in place that make that type of dissociating make sense, and it also helps tulpas new to switching deal with thoughts/patterns that they don't identify with directly rather than simply introducing doubt.

Edited by Reisen

Hi guys, plain text is just me now! We've each got our own accounts: me, Tewi, Flandre, and Lucilyn. We're Luminesce's tulpas.

Here's our "Ask Thread", and here's our Progress Report (You should be able to see all of our accounts on the second page if you want)

I have my own body, yet at the same time I exist within the confines of my host's body. It ain't mine. Wish that it were sometimes, so I could help her do the things she can't. I find it frustrating at times when, if I was physically separate, I could help her and we could do things together in half the time it takes her to do it by herself. As for her mind? That's hers too. I have my own, yet I'm also a part of hers. Perhaps it IS our mind, I haven't really thought about it. Some of my emotions have a tendency to overwhelm her, which I'm working on curtailing, but we understand this is a common side-effect. Mostly, I simply see us as a team. /FAM

I agree. This flesh vessel is mine to lug around, and he tends to refer to my mind as something sort of separate to himself, but one he's still a part of. It's kinda complicated to explain when it's "yes and no" at the same time. He can sort of "use" my body to experience things like the food and drink I'm having, tagging along with my experience as it were, but he's clear that it's my body. He has his own brain, he just happens to also live in mine. 🤷‍♀️ /E

Doc (she/her) = Host

Franklyn (he/him) = Tulpa

• 2 weeks later...

This is Phoenix speaking. Ours is a complicated relationship. I am aware that 'I' (as a Phoenix/shapeshifter character) started out as a figment of my daughters imagination and that I then used that to communicate with her after my own body died.

Yes my Host was my daughter in real life. But she is disabled and I could not bear to leave her behind. I remembered her stories and used them to communicate with her so as not to frighten her. At first I presented as her mother as she remembered me and lived in the Holodeck where we created a program so that I could visit my own loved ones (parents, sister who had since passed).

My daughter was very shy and struggled socially so we pretended to be twins so i could encourage her that when we were 'both' up front it would give her extra confidence.

At some point we came to the conclusion that I should use this opportunity to experience a new life. I'd always wanted to go to university but it was beyond my parents income or mine to ever be able to attend the fee's. When they brought in grants for disabled students, my daughter was able to get one. we created a 'new character' that was a mix of both our personalities and this really gave her confidence. We were always both co-conscious but she would let me be up front to experience my favourite parts too and show her how to manage things such as making new friends.

When we saw a program about how conjoined twins control their body (eg if they only had one arm and one leg each) we started practising that, just for fun initially then. By then my personality had developed way beyond what it had been when I was my daughters age and she did begin to actually see me as 'her secret twin'. Mostly we function this way but on what would have been my birthday or anniversary of 'my death' I will be 'mummy' again for the day for her.

I also like to be in that form when she visits 'my son'  (her brother) and be up front to feel the hug too and be able to give him one back. I also have a holodeck program where I go back to my old self meeting her dad for the first time and relive 'courting' as a teen in the 50's/60's. (he also passed some years back but chose to go on into the next life after hanging around the woman he married after me and checking she was ok and his son was doing ok with his business).

I was disappointed. Leigh had given me permission to leave her if I wanted to go into the next life with her dad, but I was hurt by the fact he chose to visit 'Leigh's stepmother' first  Though I guess I should have expected it. I had been long gone by then as I was still quite young when my body passed. I guess I wouldn't have wanted him to stay alone forever.  I chose to stay with my daughter as she was experiencing poor health at the time and so I could still visit 'my son'.

I guess now we've reached the stage we both see the body and mind 'as ours', although I'm aware the rest of the world see's only 'my daughter'  when they look at the physical body.

We view it as our body, our brain, and our life. So any major decisions that affect both of us we at least try to decide together. Part of that may be because I was created while my host was still young (He was 14 when I was created). We basically grew up together which I believe helped with how we think about this. Plus, I actually much prefer fronting and being in the physical world over the wonderland. So I ended up identifying with our body because of that. My host has no obligations and is very willing to share, which I’m thankful for.