Is it moral to have societal level standards?

Glaurung26

I was thinking about the way we have legal standards to qualify people for things. Voting, military service, consent, using legal but recognized unhealthy substances like tobacco/alcohol, insurance qualification, and others I can't think of. It's assumed out of necessity that we "industrialize" education and "mass produce" adults as quickly as we can.

Would it be better to examine people on a case-by-case basis? People are different on the individual level. They learn differently, at different speeds, have different physical capabilities. They have different life experiences, different upbringings, beliefs, communities and so on. Can we expect to accurately measure that against a common standard? Does the speed and cost saving of grouping people together outweigh any drawbacks in accuracy or quality? If we instead test individuals using individual standards does that provide enough quality to justify the extra expense? And do contextual standards undermine the subject they are qualifying for?

I want to examine systems of society critically and ensure they are practical and helpful for all participants. But I believe in the necessity of order and common, fair rules to live by, so I don't want to unduly erode at faith in that idea. Society, what is it good for?

Edited by Glaurung26

Darron: Host 💍 

Jaina: Tulpa 💍 

(Raccoon Queen 🦝👸)

👨‍👩‍👧‍👦Dain and Nova

Aggrok: Tulpa Void Dragon

Viktor: 🐺

[DeviantArt]

education wise, we have totally the wrong approach for living in the information age. we shouldn't be teaching people specific subjects past the very basics, instead, we should teach them the joy and importance of learning, and how to gather information to teach themselves. and then just give them time to go down every rabbit hole they see. this way, people can learn things at the fastest pace that they are individually capable, and by giving them more agency, students will become more motivated as well

I have a tulpa named Miela who I love very much.

"People put quotes in their signatures, right?"

-Me

11 hours ago, Glaurung26 said:

Would it be better to examine people on a case-by-case basis?

Yes, but keep in mind any measurement system will inflict blanket discrimination. What qualifies an individual for being able to legally drink? If not age, maybe how much they make because if they don't have enough money to support themself how could they be trusted with the responsibility of alcohol? The problem there is that can easily discriminate against the poor who are otherwise responsible individuals. Maybe a responsible person has had the proper education? That can discriminated against those who can't access college, don't want to go to college. In an extreme but unfortunately common place interpretation, it could be that upper class white schools are the "qualifying" schools. Even if the qualifying standard is an IQ test, you can discriminate against those with disabilities. While age discrimination isn't a great thing either, I don't know many better alternatives. A more complicated system could also inflict more unnecessary discrimination through bureaucracy too.

It's reasons like this why we can't have nice things.

10 hours ago, Breloomancer said:

education wise, we have totally the wrong approach for living in the information age. we shouldn't be teaching people specific subjects past the very basics, instead, we should teach them the joy and importance of learning, and how to gather information to teach themselves. and then just give them time to go down every rabbit hole they see. this way, people can learn things at the fastest pace that they are individually capable, and by giving them more agency, students will become more motivated as well

I agree. Additionally, I think students would greatly benifit from learning self-care and homeowner skills like how to load the dishes, cook their own food, do their own laundry. There is a scary number of dysfunctional adults who don't have these skills and badly need them. With both parents working, a lot of kids don't get taught these skills.

I'm Ranger, GrayTheCat's cobud (tulpa), and I love hippos! I also like cake and chatting about stuff. I go by Rosalin or Ronan sometimes. You can call me Roz but please don't call me Ron.

My other headmates have their own account now.

If I missed seeing your art, please PM/DM me!

Blog | Not So Temporary Log | Switching Log | Yay! | Bre Translator | Art Thread

48 minutes ago, Ranger said:

It's reasons like this why we can't have nice things.

Yea, human nature is notoriously hard to legislate. Who watches the watcher? Who enforces the standards? How is said enforcement paid and funded? How do you quantify unconscious or passive bigotry? It's almost like governments are a big deal and near impossible to do "right." But it's fun to poke and prod, trying to come up with practical ideas and fresh perspective. Ostensibly we should be improving over time. 

Darron: Host 💍 

Jaina: Tulpa 💍 

(Raccoon Queen 🦝👸)

👨‍👩‍👧‍👦Dain and Nova

Aggrok: Tulpa Void Dragon

Viktor: 🐺

[DeviantArt]

12 hours ago, Breloomancer said:

Based Bre 

I agree with all the other stuff said here. 

Hey there, the name's Bryan. In system Re:Body(In order of the rainbow): 

Sean, Esper, Blinky, Compact, Janey, Kyle, Gwen'd, Gwen, Emily, Rollin, Waynin, Trease, Layy, Justin, Chloe, Zachery, and Elliot. 

I've been here a while. Much longer than I thought I'd be. Our system was founded October 2nd, 2018. In early 2020, we decided that due to our systems exponential growth, we'd limit who would be active. Now, every month, we do a check to see who wishes to be in dormancy and who wishes to be active. Currently, for the month of April, 2023, we've got myself(Bryan), Janey(Co-host), Emily, Layy, Chloe, and Esper(sub-rep). After over 2 long years, we can finally switch :) 

Bryan is currently swapped in as host, Esper is sub-rep. 

"There used to be 7 wonders of the world, but now there's 8, as everyone wonders how much of a fool you are."

Ice909#0065 -- Always down for a chat 

https://discord.gg/89qN59SbRp Plural safe-space 

20 hours ago, Glaurung26 said:

Yea, human nature is notoriously hard to legislate. Who watches the watcher? Who enforces the standards? How is said enforcement paid and funded? How do you quantify unconscious or passive bigotry? It's almost like governments are a big deal and near impossible to do "right." But it's fun to poke and prod, trying to come up with practical ideas and fresh perspective. Ostensibly we should be improving over time. 

My guess is it's better to work with human nature than against ot, but I may not be the right person to ask either. I'm not a social genius or anything.

I'm Ranger, GrayTheCat's cobud (tulpa), and I love hippos! I also like cake and chatting about stuff. I go by Rosalin or Ronan sometimes. You can call me Roz but please don't call me Ron.

My other headmates have their own account now.

If I missed seeing your art, please PM/DM me!

Blog | Not So Temporary Log | Switching Log | Yay! | Bre Translator | Art Thread