New "Thanks" System

Slushie

Guest BrownSubmarine

"Thank you" function is ok as long as there's no counter for it. It will work as something that would say user that his post was useful but won't attract karma whores.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"Thank you" function is ok as long as there's no counter for it. It will work as something that would say user that his post was useful but won't attract karma whores.

I still don't see the point. If you found a user's post helpful and wanted to let them know, you could just reply q/ quote to his/her post and say, "thank you." The system is asinine, not to mention it clutters shit up.

But it's gone now so this post was equally asinine. Happy happy joy joy.

Tulpa's name: April

Form: Human female

Working on: Stuff

My Progress Log

"A belief is not merely an idea the mind possesses; it is an idea that possesses the mind." ~ Robert Oxton Bolton

Guest BrownSubmarine

I still don't see the point. If you found a user's post helpful and wanted to let them know, you could just reply q/ quote to his/her post and say, "thank you." The system is asinine, not to mention it clutters shit up.

But it's gone now so this post was equally asinine. Happy happy joy joy.

Some people, like me, don't want to post if they don't have anything important to say, thank button would be a nice and quiet way to show someone that his post helped.

I agree with Jakop, that the function can work as long as you don't make a global counter for it right now. Maybe later as you are planning to, you can make the counter to make it easy to see the helpful members, but right now the community is too immature for that.

There will never be a userbase that's mature enough for a thanking system, unless the site is purely academic. Which this site isn't.

There will never be a userbase that's mature enough for a thanking system, unless the site is purely academic. Which this site isn't.

Well said.

Now i wish i could press the "thank you" button

De bedste og smukkeste ting i verden kan hverken ses eller røres, de må opleves med hjertet.

Some people, like me, don't want to post if they don't have anything important to say, thank button would be a nice and quiet way to show someone that his post helped.

I agree with this, saves post space. It's a bit silly to post a reply that's just "Thanks". Especially if someone says something really insightful and five people answer "Wow" or "Thanks" or "I like you". It clogs things up with posts that say nothing.

So, although it's not a pressing issue, seeing a "thanks" system with no records kept of how many times each person was thanked, just a way to add "I like this post" to the end of someone else's, would be handy.

There's really no reason to record it except for e-penises, but by itself it is a good feature.

The above post does not contain facts.

q2's the host, QB's the tulpa.

I was just about to say that.

Edit: I read your post QB, and I agree with you, but I think it doesn't really make a difference.

People that reply with a "thanks" will also usually have something else to add, so the post isn't totally useless, not to mention the fact that half of any given thread is cluttered up with people going off topic and talking about orange showers and stuff anyway.

I think the thanks system is far more ideological than practical, imo.

Tulpa's name: April

Form: Human female

Working on: Stuff

My Progress Log

"A belief is not merely an idea the mind possesses; it is an idea that possesses the mind." ~ Robert Oxton Bolton

This sounds way too much like facebook's "like"

I wouldn't mind having that kind of function since I do wanted to "like" certain sarcastic post around here.

But then again, I hate those "like if" post on facebook that tries to fish for "likes" and the same shit could essentially happens here.

People here would also try to be "too-helpful" in order to fish for "thanks". This will leads to newbie giving wrong advice (like what I've regrettably done before) which are taken by another newbie.

If what I've said, was already said, then I apologize.

EDIT: Had a sudden idea for positive-reinforcement. Just drop it if it's bad. :/

It would be a "medals" system where instead of respected member having high amounts of "thanks". Respected member will have only few, hard earned, "medals".

If one contributed positively to the community often enough. Moderators may choose to discuss on whether to give the person a medal or not. Giving a single medal to someone should be treated similarly to how someone would be given a weapon of mass destruction. It should not be messed around with and must always be taken seriously. Though what happened in the past should not be a major concern since people do change.

Getting a single medal will be really really hard, so it will be meaningful and will say that the person is actually well respected since not everyone gets it. Creating duplicates of account won't make it easier to get medal either for obvious reason.

Thoughts?

Chloe - That cheerful girl with ponytail.

Aigis - The male cyborg that looks like raiden in MGR.

Vixen - Half dragon female who looks like Mary in DMC3 when in human form.