Chat Thread

At some point, the question becomes: What is the "true" sound? After all, if the music artist was using regular analog headphones with previously noted reproduction difficulties, wouldn't you want the same thing so that you're hearing what the artist was hearing when they made the final mix?

I don't visit as often as I used to. If you want me to see something, make sure to quote a post of mine or ping me @jean-luc

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good headphones, Lumi, and open-back is a nice thing that people don't capitalize much on for a standard listening experience, which is a shame. Long cables are a staple of quality headphones (usually), because they're made to support a production environment

Could definitely get quality wireless headphones, gonna be way more expensive than the wired variant in any case, though. Also, capital Vinyl is a horse error, my bad, talk too much about fic tbh

What do you mean by Analog headphones, tupper01? They all kinda work the same way, unless you mean like gaming headphones, which I'm not familiar with, at which point you wouldn't even consider those music-listening cans tbh. I guess Bluetooth could also be considered digital, though? I mean, all headphones have drivers and are calibrated in a different way, so even if the stream of data was exclusively digital and being processed in the headphones it'd still be colored. Not sure what you were saying there. If you meant analog source, I agree. Unless you're directly wired into the musical source, like an analog synthesizer, any other analog hurdles between source and sound color, yeah

Directly after source, like the needle/cartridge on the player, yeah, that is another hurdle in obtaining a quality sound. I've got about the best you can have in starting gear on that front, and going further than that is just a rabbit hole so deep, and the sound definitely isn't any worse than my digital outputs, which are also pretty high quality. Just different.

I think general outputs are becoming standard and generic enough on any front that it comes down more to your headphones than the source, past a certain admission fee, these days.

Jean, depends on the genre and instruments. The true sound of an acoustic is what you hear live, and even the most expensive Neumann won't help the listener obtain that same sound on account of different headphones and headphone amps. And god-forbid they're using an acoustic they can DI for a digital transposition. An amp sim like an axe fx lined directly into the computer will be easier to replicate if you're aware of the artist's setup, but if they're mic'ing a Marshall with a $300 mic, you won't get what they're hearing from the cab exactly, probably ever.

But that's fine. You can get what they heard on the final master with their setup, but you shouldn't want that. We'll only get the exact, original sound of a grand piano, or drums, in person, but a good audio engineer will make sure what they do get sounds good from low-end, $20 headphones, to Sennheiser HD 800's. Or at least as good as it can be. 

Because some people want more bass, or treble, or a warmer sound, and some people like it as flat as possible. Which is where everything else on the consumer side comes in. I wouldn't have multiple pairs of headphones and sources if I didn't like experiencing music in different ways, and even the artist will run it through different sources before ever exporting the final file.

So what do you propose? Short of a extremely quiet and fast stepper motor (which I don't think exists), you'll always have an electromagnet. You have to have something converting analog to digital, whether that's in the headphone like in bluetooth headphones or in the computer like normal.

I don't visit as often as I used to. If you want me to see something, make sure to quote a post of mine or ping me @jean-luc

There's some alternate technologies. However, that's the basic analog design. Problems include distortion when handling multiple frequencies, and response falloff at both high and low frequencies, as well as all sorts of problems from having a shared neutral.

Host comments in italics. Tulpa's log. Tulpa's guide.

Yeah, I've definitely never used anything opposite of the standard design and never would, tbh. 

Maybe there's something in the way of experimental cans I'm not familiar with, but you definitely wouldn't ever hear NY kind of reputable artist or engineer using something but regular ol headphones, and studio monitors operate on the same general principles of sound, so eh

Multiple drivers are used in gamery headphones aren't they? For like the surround sound gimmick? Weird how that's even necessary, I think standard cans do fine if the game's L/R balance is fine tbh.

Does the four wire design do anything or is that just an apple thing? I own some beats wireless earbuds (which are much more decent than the rest of their lineup), and have owned a few pairs of ear-pods and they're pretty alright. Could be some efficiency thing I guess, weird.

I'm taking off for a while, be back some time in the next year probably/maybe. I'm feeling really good about myself for the first time in years, and this place has always brought me down, as well as a general, yenno, not really having much of a place anyway. I think I know what I want right now, and I want to focus on that above everything else. Step one, I guess, is removing all of my counter-productive time-sinks, yeah? Cause I've spent more than enough time here browsing, let alone engaging with people. And yeah, it's not this huge thing, but I'm still here, I still spend hours reading, and, I don't know, I'd like to maybe show myself that I can detach myself, because it's the principle more than it is "Why don't you just, get on less?". So maybe in a year or so, I can drop back in, catch up, and move on just as easily.

And yeah, here vs. the Leaving thread, idk, the people I talk to are here, the leaving thread probably turns more heads, no need to draw everyone else's attention.

Discord is #8788 if anybody wants it, I have important friends who I can't get a hold of anywhere else so that'll remain a constant. If you wanna talk but don't have Discord, sorry I guess. Ask someone who does, and I'll get my email through to you.

I feel like I'm missing something, but I always say too much, so I'll end it here. Later.