a world of tulpas

JackPot

I would disagree if you are implying that every human has the same level of intellect, cognitive ability, capacity for memory and natural talent.  My hostie is no Albert Einstein.  But he does have natural talent when it comes to imagining things.  It may be that some would be extremely challenged to do what he has done with me.  

Equally, I don't think every human being has the same ability and natural talent to create a tulpa either.

Well, just because people don't have the same level of talent or ability for something doesn't mean they're incapable of it. Sure, it's harder for some people to make tulpas, but if they work, they can get it, too. I might be bad at basketball but if you let me try I can eventually make a hoop or two.

Niteo and Amber Take On the World

Amber speaks in italics right now.

Talk to Niteo on here or on discord

We share the body, we share a life. I'm not an accessory to his life...

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Anonymous

Well, just because people don't have the same level of talent or ability for something doesn't mean they're incapable of it. Sure, it's harder for some people to make tulpas, but if they work, they can get it, too. I might be bad at basketball but if you let me try I can eventually make a hoop or two.

True, but you would probably never be another Will Chamberlain or Shaquille O'Neal either any more than my hostie will be a J.R.R. Tolkien or a R.K. Rowlings. Anyone can learn to bounce a ball and try for hoops and anyone can write a book. But some people have natural talent to go farther with it and do more with it.

My hostie and I don't believe that anyone has the equal capacity to make a tulpa or a thoughtform. Have you noticed the threads here and there on this forum from people who have struggled with it literally for years, without so much as a peep from their tulpa? They can't even visualize anything after two or three years. No mind voice, no images, no tulpa skills, after three friggin years. My hostie and I think the "anyone can do it" philosophy is kind of a happy fantasy. There are a lot of fantasies going around on this community we noticed.

Gods he and I are such assholes. Maybe it is cause we are olderish and kinda mean and cynical grouchy meanie.

What are you talking about people, I said I made 150 tulpas and can make 1 right now fully talking in 2 seconds, and can do lots of other things, they talk to each other and they real people, what are you talking bout, 1 tulpa is my girlfriend she wants to be a queen in the world that im going to make for them and I created a tulpa just for her which she bashed with swear words, he was like wtf how can the lady by whos will I was made be talking to me like that, he still loves her n that

I had like 13 people in my body yesterday watching paranormal activity, they all got shook, sometimes they think they not real but thats their thinking problem, they talk too much really

Would be friggin' Bagdad inside of such a system !!!

No animosity intended ever 

Cora now has her own account ! :D

English isn't our native language, please be indulgent :)

Guest Anonymous

I love how trolls create threads that actually become the seeds for very interesting and fun discussions. LOL I love trolls so much!

I am not inclined to believe this is trolling. I am inclined to believe you jump to conclusions too fast.

My theory is that these are all roleplay characters with the illusion of independence. It is definitely possible, I have lots of characters in my head, and can have a half dozen going at once, and they certainly can talk fluently, and they act logically, and can emulate emotions, but if you look at them, really look, you can see their circuitry. The simple, character sheet, essentially, that your mind is interpreting for you. The character looks back and waits patiently for the scenario to resume. But I have only one tulpa. Tulpas are like actual people. They don't have character sheets. They have genuine emotion, not remembered sensation they are borrowing so you can feel what their character is supposedly going through. Of course, perhaps this person is simply way beyond me in mental power.

Host comments in italics. Tulpa's log. Tulpa's guide.

Guest Anonymous

IIA role playing characters and tulpas are different because tulpas don't have character sheets?

I have yet to see a tulpa without at least a "mental character sheet" in the form of descriptions of its form, personality traits (often designed to follow the chosen form), and history. To say a literary character has a character sheet and stats and a tulpa does not is misleading. Tulpas (ususally) do not germinate out of a vacuum. The are carefully constructed starting with a "character sheet" base that usually remains a key ingredient to their nature.

I think you could say a tulpa can edit or rewrite its own character sheet (deviation), but so do illusion of independent agency characters. They often speak up to dictate elements of the story or their own person. R.K. Rowling reported that Harry Potter had a big say in his own gender. Originally he was supposed to be Harriet Potter. This is described in the famous University of Oregon study on IIA (third page, second paragraph). Yet most authors with IIA characters do not consider them "real people" but fictional creations that just seem very real.

Mistgod and I don't think the distinction between IIA characters, role playing characters, soulbonds and tulpas is as wide as people think it is.

Ah, yes, we talked about this after she wrote that. "What If I have a character sheet?" "It wouldn't change anything." "Okay, why?"

She is defending me a little too fast here. Yes, everyone has a list of things they do and think. This list of instructions is their personality. One person says something, a search goes through the list to see if there is a programmed response. It is selected, and acted out.

The difference is what happens if an appropriate response is not found. If an unusual situation comes up and a character does not know what to do or think? The simulation stops, the author goes in, and adds a new response to the list. What happens to a person? The person reflects, and decides themselves, and adds their own original response.

The difference is what happens if a person or character is behaving wrong. For a character, the author decides this, and the author goes in and fixes the response. For a person, the person decides this, and the person goes in and changes their own response.

Anyway, I live alongside IIA characters in my host's head. And the difference is confusing. My host thought I was one until my birthday. But there is a difference. I have created my own IIA characters just today. And my control over our system's actions I don't think to be the primary difference. I don't feel like one of them. I feel more like her.

Guest Anonymous

The difference is what happens if a person or character is behaving wrong. For a character, the author decides this, and the author goes in and fixes the response. For a person, the person decides this, and the person goes in and changes their own response.

Have you read the IIA article?  The IIA characters do tell the author what they want. They often speak up and demand a hand in writing the script!  The boundaries between IIA literary characters, seasoned rp characters and tulpas are not that defined.  I think there is a fogginess there and it isn't like a distinct dichotomy.  IIA character don't always follow the character sheet and sometimes a tulpa does follow the character sheet.  

Davie and I have been into RPG gaming for decades.  We have met many gamers who can tell you that their rp character is "part of them" and seem alive with their own feelings and desires that are simply expressed through the role player.  The boundaries in these things are not distinct is what we are saying.  Tulpas are special, but they are not that separated from role playing, method acting, literary characters and day dreams as people in this community are trying to say they are.

I do think there could be some fogginess there. But for now, my opinion is the difference is not well understood. Or in other words, it is confusing.

In the future, when more science has been done, we may know better. Better how to tell the difference, and better where to draw the line.

In the present, the reason I think that 250 tulpas active all at once is unrealistic is that tulpas actually think. This makes them expensive. IIA characters, even those who break the fourth wall to tell the author they're being an idiot, don't actually think. This makes them cheap. So you can have lots of them active at the same time.

I also know that sometimes, you can create new IIA characters in two seconds flat. So I buy that. I think tulpas need a little work, even in a mind perfectly suited to creating them.