We don't understand you

Floh

I really wonder what OP means by caustic and agressive. I've been stalking the GD and Q&A boards relentlessly recently, and the most "agressive" thing I read was "Your attitude really pisses me off. "

I mean, discussion does get heated sometimes, but isn't that just what criticism does? People do come to a conclusion in the end (and that conclusion is usually agreeing to disagree with one another) and continue sharing what they know without being disrespectful. You know, like most mature people do.

Don't mean to come across as "caustic", but I think I'm gonna play the devil's advocate here. Unless someone shows me that I'm missing a giant point, of course.

I'm SomethingDire, and Céleste is my partner in crime.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yeh admittedly my "I don't take these things so seriously because they seem silly" was veiling "you're all taking everything way too seriously", I don't think anyone's being that bad really.

Hi, I'm one of Lumi's tulpas! I like rain and dancing and dancing in the rain and if there's frogs there too that's bonus points.

I think being happy and having fun makes life worth living, so spreading happiness is my number one goal!

Talk to us? https://community.tulpa.info/thread-ask-lumi-s-tulpas

I think the OP's problem is about people being "serious", and not "caustic". I'll admit, the two can easily overlap, but they're definitely not the same things. And the people who're being serious in the discussion threads, in my humble opinion, aren't caustic. At all.

I'm SomethingDire, and Céleste is my partner in crime.

to the op:

Don't look at me. My host has a chamelion personality. Which means she adopts the language and mannerisms of the person she is talking to. As a reflection of her subconscious or something, I assume I would be even worse in this way. But I haven't really seen it in myself yet.

Some points:

1) Welcome to the internet! There are parts of the internet filled with rational, professional discourse. But this community has massive overlap with the brony fandom, the animé fandom, and the otherkin community.

Still, it shocks me that such a community would be on the low end of the maturity scale.

2) Lots of people here are STEM. I am guessing you are not used to how STEM people think and argue. This IS civilised.

To me, an argument is bad when people stop focussing on the truth. The end goal of any argument. Sometimes they focus instead on winning. Sometimes they focus instead on being friendly and on compromise. Either way, it gets in the way of my learning stuff.

3) You are engaged in a time consuming, long term pursuit that the majority of the world is going to assume is some form of self mulitation. I think people here have a right to be on edge. It makes sense.

I mean, when half the people who are actually practising the craft think it is not really real, how do you never feel like punching anything ever?

Host comments in italics. Tulpa's log. Tulpa's guide.

It pains us a lot...

It doesn't pain my system at all. Compared to other online communities we might as well be singing kumbaya.

I think your expectations are too high. Go visit 4chan or Reddit and then tell us we're a toxic community.

Or, if you're feeling REALLY masochistic, go and play League of Legends for a few months...

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love." - Carl Sagan

Host: SubCon | Tulpas: Sol, Luna, Alice, Little One, Beast and Solune (me) | Servitors: Odonata, Guardian

don't play league of legends

Hi, I'm one of Lumi's tulpas! I like rain and dancing and dancing in the rain and if there's frogs there too that's bonus points.

I think being happy and having fun makes life worth living, so spreading happiness is my number one goal!

Talk to us? https://community.tulpa.info/thread-ask-lumi-s-tulpas

Guest Anonymous

I mean, when half the people who are actually practising the craft think it is not really real, how do you never feel like punching anything ever?

The tulpamancy practice or craft itself is perfectly real.  Tulpas exist and effect us psychologically and emotionally.  The source of what makes tulpas actually function in the mind is the part none of us can be sure about.  That is also where 90% of the arguing happens.  Why would that make you want to punch something?  What difference does it make as long as we all treat each other like people, tulpas and humans alike?  

What I think would help is if we all agree that the end result, what tulpas do, is what really counts, not what they are made of.  

Everyone here knows how I have described how Melian functions and her origins.  Yet with only a very small number exceptions, everyone, every single person she has ever encountered on this forum, treats her just the same as any other human person or tulpa.  Everyone treats her as if she were totally independent of me, which is fantastic.  Ultimately I don't think anyone really cares how Melian is happening beyond mild curiosity.  She is just Melian.

As long as the debates don't turn into ad hominem attack, then who cares? If everyone's too careful to step on toes, then opinions aren't going to be expressed, and at this point in the game, it's the debate that keeps the forum alive.

Not that I participate too much, but a lot of the things you guys discuss I either don't have an opinion on or someone else already says it better.

We're all gonna make it brah.

Guest Anonymous

Remember when Melian tried to mend fences by talking about Tulpamancy Schools of Thought and how there could be two types of tulpas, illusory tulpas and independently sentient tulpas, existing simultaneously in the community?  It was an attempt to argue that it doesn't matter how tulpas work, because we all have a variety of subjective experiences going on in our minds.  All that matters is that we all agree that tulpas are people and that we really like tulpamancy.

It doesn't pain my system at all. Compared to other online communities we might as well be singing kumbaya.

I think your expectations are too high. Go visit 4chan or Reddit and then tell us we're a toxic community.

Or, if you're feeling REALLY masochistic, go and play League of Legends for a few months...

Yes. This. Thank you.

My host has been active on some really toxic boards in the past. She still is on one of them, for reasons I can't parse.  When it comes to toxic communities I know, this board doesn't even crack the top ten. 

Than again, I tend to be one of those people who come across as aggressive, even when I'm not trying to be... like now, probably. I can see how people might think I'm attacking when all I'm doing is stating what I believe to be fact. Tone doesn't transfer online, and so when you disagree with someone, they tend to assume the worst one. Cue them responding and you doing the same to them. Best thing to do for it is to just have a thick skin and have some confidence in what you believe is true.

If that sort of discussion comes across as "toxic" to you, maybe you should try to reread the "toxic" posts in a way that gives each poster the tonal benefit of the doubt.

And that probably sounded like an accusation. Blargh. This why I don't leave the Games forum much.

~ Member of SparrowNR's System ~