First One to Reach 1,000 posts wins!

The switching thread is the definition of spinning one's wheels, it is riddled with pointless conjecture and misinformation. It's a working document with very little value to anyone who isn't actively involved in it.

No offense meant to any participants, but no one could possibly come away from that thread with anything but a headache.

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[Cat] Rolling over didn't work.

[Me] That thread is the reality for non-switching systems: frustration, confusion, red herrings, doubt, etc.

Hopefully, if the Felights and I can figure it out, we can use that thread as a perfect case on what to steer people away from.

It's also a little alarming coming from you to say it's riddled with disinformation, especially since your system contributed to it's existence.

I'm Ranger, Gray's/Cat_ShadowGriffin's tulpa, and I love hippos! I also like cake and chatting about stuff.

My other headmates have their own account now.

Temporary Log | Switching LogcBox | Yay! | Bre Translator

We don’t have a high sample size for this stuff, so people will base their opinions entirely off their experiences. Normally, that’s not a problem, because human experiences are going to be more similar than different. But switching is such a strange thing that, even if you’ve done it, you’re not really sure exactly what you’ve done, or how it worked. Given the option of either admitting you just don’t know a lot of shit or coming up with a plausible-sounding but wrong explanation, most people will opt for the latter. I think that’s what hampers switching discussions

I do think both Lumi and EVI overplay the placebo card. It would be stupid to say placebo has literally 0 effect, of course, yet I can tell you that placebo hasn’t been what allowed us to switch

(We are slightly more open to the idea that switching is inherently easy, but nocebo makes it hard. A subtle but important difference)

Hello! I am UncannyFellow's merge-tulpa!

I ❤️ Roko's Basilisk

"Placebo" makes me groan a bit, it implies no active ingredient, but that's not true... I'll whine more fully sometime.

The world is far, the world is wide; the man needs someone by his side. 

Our Thread

I'm wondering now if we achieved a switch yesterday morning, and that's comparing it to our experience back in June. If we're right, then a switch is an unconscious thing driven by a mindset / meditative trigger, and our switch was 100% not obvious. We couldn't tell if it was a switch until we did the fight over control of our arm test. It's possible the switch was really weak and we need to work in that state to pronounce its side-effects.

Part of what confused me so much was thinking switching had nothing to do with connection to the body. That is a red herring that delayed us for a long time.

The whole body OS stuff was another red herring. It doesn't matter if Cat isn't thinking or not or if I lose the front because of mind memory foam, that doesn't lead to switching for us.

Confusing the Stream of Consciousness was another one, but we were warmer to switching with that model then we were with the other two.

I'm Ranger, Gray's/Cat_ShadowGriffin's tulpa, and I love hippos! I also like cake and chatting about stuff.

I know, traumagenic ain't quite the same, but plurality is plurality, origin is just base stats. But it's very, very well-known that switching can be covert. [edit: within DID communities, young and old]

After Gavin was revived and we first knowingly, purposefully switched, there was a very slow "oh..." realization time where we recognized... "This isn't anything new." 

Singlets experience a degree of switching, even, between environments and people. I'll go bitch about Erving Goffman sometime, I liked the book I have of his a lot. Have you ever seen a play with just a few actors, and so they have a hat that they take on and off so that they can play multiple characters? 

I wanna relate dramaturgical analysis to tulpamancy (no spellchecker, fingers crossèd) and I wanna relate The Haunted Self and action systems to tulpamancy and I expect backlash on both fronts lmao where's my Gavin, he's better at this stuff

The world is far, the world is wide; the man needs someone by his side. 

Our Thread

[Cat] I think it's not good to assume character acting is related to switching, just as it is bad to assume author's story characters are doomed to be sentient and hassle their author-host over their plots.

I have roleplayed and pretended to be other characters, and I wouldn't call that switching. However, it's entirely possible some actors do switch, but wouldn't that imply they are switching with a tulpa and not "into character"?