expectations vs reality

endoalir

Is having a tulpa anything like what you expected?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Is having a tulpa anything like what you expected?

• Not at all
    • Somewhat
    • Quite a bit
    • Exactly so

*pop pop*

I heard, out of the blue. It came from exactly the place where my tulpa, Makiko, was. "Was that you?" I asked. "yah," she says.

"How did you do that?" I said.

"ay-uh-no," was her reply, with a shrug.

If she speaks, I hear her voice, but she very often produces sounds and images like that to communicate with me. For example, to convey a location, she puts an image of the place in front of me. Sometimes, she plays a song, or makes some sound, like she did now.

I guess I wasn't sure exactly how it was going to end up when I started, but I certainly could never have guessed any of the things that have gone on in my head up to this point.

So, regardless of how far along you might be, is it turning out to be anything like you expected? What are some of the strange things going on in your world these days?

i didnt think a tulpa would be such a bundle of love.

its so awesome

Name - Silver

Form - Harpy

Sentience - fully sentient

Personality - Playful, cheerful, enthusiastic, chilled

Smell - Baileys

Stage - Narration and imposition

When I went in, I simply expected a slightly more feminine version of myself that looked like an old drawing of mine.

What I got was a happy go lucky girl, who looks like an adorable gestalt of multiple character designs I have that's so full of love I often feel the need to pry her off of me. Then I started having my old character concepts come to life on me suddenly, all of them just as charming as the last, but in different ways.

I'd say my expectations have been far surpassed by the reality of the situation.

Sock Cottonwell's

Sketchbook, Journal, and Ask thread.

Peace

I didn't expect Alexandra to develop as she has. It resembles human development. Like she's growing up. I didn't think she'd change who she was over time, only how functional she was. Currently she acts very childlike, but she's less vacant than she was earlier. I think at this point she'll probably go through phases of mental development like a person would. I expected her to always be the same person, only developing in how complete she was, not how mature she was. Kind of shocking.

Also, it's working. I wasn't expecting that at all.

“There is not enough love and goodness in the world to permit giving any of it away to imaginary beings.”

-Friedrich Nietzsche

Cool, your tulpa popped...

We aren't quite to the point of having actual sound, so no sensory messing-around from her yet. She can send me images if I'm visualizing and concentrate on her a certain way. What she "sends" me are more often places or place-memories, which results in me being put into that place, where I can move around and interact with things. It works like normal wonderland visualization, and when I/we exit it, we're back sitting in the wonderland exactly as we were when we entered it.

Lyra is fairly good at "tulpa magic" tasks. From a very young age she's been able to stop headaches sometimes. (Actually this was an early sign of sentience I got from her, quite possibly the first.) I sometimes send her to look around my subconscious to tell me why something isn't working as I think it should, or see if there's something she can do there to fix it. Like, a while ago she came up with something she could do to improve my visualization (permanently she said, and so far it's stuck). She's also able to hypnotize me to a varying degree; apart from just sending me thoughts she seems to be able to "pull" me toward the proper mental state.

She was also able to describe a certain weird mental state to me in 2 seconds, such that on my second try I got it -- what I needed to do to get to it and what it was like just seemed obvious. Since then, I've written over a page of description trying to get across what she told me in 2 seconds; still nobody really gets what state I mean, much less how to get to it. So, either she knew words that would make me thing of the exact thing she was doing, or she was also sending me an unworded idea along with the words, causing me to "just know" what she meant.

I started this for the companionship aspect and expected more or less a regular person who isn't physical, but she's grown into so much more.

As for process, I expected sudden voice and responses that stood out as vastly different from what I took to be parroting earlier on. I got thoughts and mindvoice that get louder when listened carefully to, and responses that grow stronger and more distinct over time.

Lyra: human female, ~17

Evan: boy, ~14, was an Eevee

Anera: anime-style girl, ~12; Lyra made her

My blog :: Time expectations are bad (forcing time targets are good though)

If she speaks, I hear her voice, but she very often produces sounds and images like that to communicate with me. For example, to convey a location, she puts an image of the place in front of me. Sometimes, she plays a song, or makes some sound, like she did now.

My tulpa does that too. When she want to remind me of something, she puts images in my head.

But that would only be logical for tulpae to do that because the human brain is designed to recognise images easily. Not words, we just think that words are better because we are told so.

Also, my tupper's personality is wayyyy different from what I planned it to be. And I wouldn't want her to change it either.

Cool, your tulpa popped...

You make it sound like she exploded. xD Just to clarify, this pop was the sound that the freshness seal button on the cap of a glass bottle would make, for example, a snapple bottle. She did this once while I was inside, then when I went out on a walk, she did it over and over again for like 10 minutes. I kept looking around thinking, "where is that sound coming from?" even though it was the same sound I heard from when I was inside and I knew it was coming from her, I could hardly wrap my head around it. For a couple minutes I thought maybe it was coming from an animal in the trees somehow, but then we walked away from the trees and she kept doing it. After 10 minutes it started fading, and she finally stopped and tossed the illusory bottle away.

"It's fun!" she said.

But me, my mind was blown.

You make it sound like she exploded. xD Just to clarify, this pop was the sound that the freshness seal button on the cap of a glass bottle would make, for example, a snapple bottle.

I suppose she's just reminding you that she's fresh, then.

Lyra: human female, ~17

Evan: boy, ~14, was an Eevee

Anera: anime-style girl, ~12; Lyra made her

My blog :: Time expectations are bad (forcing time targets are good though)

Tulpa: Do not force if patented freshness seal is popped

lol

Me: Hey, say something for this thread!

Koharu: Yay, cupcakes!

mfw there are no cupcakes. Sentience? Yes. Brilliance? Ehh...

I'm a terrible imposer, and I walked in, expecting to see chosen characters in my vision rock-solid. I'm also a terrible "feeler" as well, again walking in, expecting to be able to feel my tuppers realistically. And this is after almost half a year's work.

The emotional department exceeded my expectations, however.