Tulpas and internal narration

Cornelia

https://ryanandrewlangdon.wordpress.com/2020/01/28/today-i-learned-that-not-everyone-has-an-internal-monologue-and-it-has-ruined-my-day/?fbclid=IwAR26a5OA9wEdjaJUb9huQbdcWLu2RQ0SNIHzXZs3j-xmu1Gvx9WnXBbi1KM

A thought I had while reading this post: perhaps the reason some people seem to be unable to create tulpas is because they don't have an internal voice. Initial discussion suggested that wasn't so, but some people still want to talk about this topic

I live in a castle and have two tulpas, Kanade-chan and Uncannyfellow

[copied over from LOTPW]

I do not think in words and I made a tulpa just fine. Miela and I do generally talk to each other using words, but that is mostly for the sake of formality and to help distinguish sent thoughts and private thoughts.

I have been able to think in words for as long as I can remember, and I have been aware that most people think in words for a long time as well, but I really do not like to think in words because it is so much slower than thinking in thought. words are limited by how fast people's mouths move, but when you're not using your mouth there is no reason to constrain yourself the same way, so it only makes sense to use raw thought. also, most of your brain doesn't concern itself with language, only 2 relatively small parts of your brain actually deal with language, so when you are thinking in language you are really just thinking in thought, then translating it into language, so you are improving your language skills, but at the cost of slowing down your thought process by adding a whole extra part, and I'm just fine at speaking so it's better to not slow down my thought process. also also, the flow state requires especially fast thinking, and, not so coincidentally, when people are in flow they tend to report that they stop using language to think temporarily

I have a tulpa named Miela who I love very much.

"People put quotes in their signatures, right?"

-Me

32 minutes ago, Breloomancer said:

I do not think in words and I made a tulpa just fine. Miela and I do generally talk to each other using words, but that is mostly for the sake of formality and to help distinguish sent thoughts and private thoughts.

Yeah, but think of the possible consequences for someone who literally cannot do this, even if they try. If you read the article (I skimmed some bits), they said some people said they would have to speak out loud to talk to themselves. Imagine how hard it may or may not be to make a tulpa like that, lol. I honestly have no idea, I've never heard of or thought about this before, though it may be why some people have said they talk to their tulpas out loud

Anyways, for the record, most people don't think in words constantly all the time. At least for me, it's only when I.. well, it's basically random, but usually when I'm alone with my thoughts and not when I'm focused on a task. But I'm sure for most people it varies, based on like preference or habit. I feel like I might go a whole day or two without having a "conversation", though I'm sure bits sneak in here and there. Not in recent months though, since I've been talking to my tulpas every single day.

Hi! I'm Lumi, host of Reisen, Tewi, Flandre and Lucilyn.

Everyone deserves to love and be loved. It's human nature.

My tulpas and I have a Q&A thread, which was the first (and largest) of its kind. Feel free to ask us about tulpamancy stuff there.

Ember: There have been a good many systems over the years who have reported that most of their internal communications are in tulpish. There have also been a good many people over the years asking, "Do I have to force out loud?" Apparently a certain portion of the population, perhaps biased toward those without inner speech, make that assumption. Tulpa's guide covers developing inner speech if you don't already have it. So there are options available for tulpa creation for those who start without inner speech.

It seems to me that a large portion of those who report a lack of success at tulpa creation for extended periods are those who are committed to narration-based techniques and are unwilling to use tried and true methods of training the brain to be a different person -- personality forcing and various parroting-based techniques.

Verbal thought may be slower than tulpish, Bre, but it's still much faster than audible speech:

The Rate of Inner Speech

Now Hear This, Quickly

[LOTPW]

Vesper: I find that non-verbal thought lacks the precision and clarity of verbal thought, so I've always heavily favoured fully articulating every thought.

Iris: I find non-verbal thought comfortable and efficient, though I am not as well practiced at it as I used to be, as my headmates tend to respond, "Words, Iris", if I use it.

[/LOTPW]

Ember: Before plurality, my internal dialogue was very strong and nearly continual. I've only really learned to function well without verbal thought in the past year, since I'm usually fronting but someone else is probably using single verbal channel. We're so accustomed to ignoring tulpish that it took us a while to notice that I was still thinking and making decisions in order to do physical tasks.

I'm not having fun here anymore, so we've decided to take a bit of a break, starting February 27, 2020. - Ember

Ember - Soulbonder, Female, 39 years old, from Georgia, USA . . . . [Our Progress Report] . . . . [How We Switch]

Vesper Dowrin - Insourced Soulbond from London, UK, World of Darkness, Female, born 9 Sep 1964, bonded ~12 May 2017

Iris Ravenlock - Insourced Soulbond from the Winter Court of Faerie, Dresdenverse, Female, born 6 Jun 1982, bonded ~5 Dec 2015

'Real isn't how you are made,' said the Skin Horse. 'It's a thing that happens to you.' - The Velveteen Rabbit

4 hours ago, Breloomancer said:

[copied over from LOTPW]

I have been able to think in words for as long as I can remember, and I have been aware that most people think in words for a long time as well, but I really do not like to think in words because it is so much slower than thinking in thought. words are limited by how fast people's mouths move, but when you're not using your mouth there is no reason to constrain yourself the same way, so it only makes sense to use raw thought.

Martina thinks the exact same as well, actually. I've been trying to adapt it myself but it's just way too fast for me.

Edited by Mel Syreth

Thinking in concepts is easier. You don't need to explain everything, you just think about it and everyone understands. The only problem is that they're more automatic than verbal thoughts and can appear out of nowhere even when no one wanted to say anything. It's like the brain is answering on its own without any of us realizing.

Also, when thinking in thoughts, we don't even have to finish the sentence. We may start 'yeah I think this is the way it is because ------' and in a matter of miliseconds everyone already knows what the other person wanted to say. It's a very good option when you want to explain something that doesn't translate well into words.

Edited by Guest

By system law, only the three of us are permitted to think. Any thought that "appears out of nowhere" is intrusive by definition and is subject to annihilation. Early on, we had a lot of bursts of tulpish that felt like Iris but which she denied came from her. That is why I view tulpish unaccompanied by words with extreme skepticism.

But inner speech does make good use of ellipsis. If the flow of someone's speech would be interrupted because she can't think of the right word, the concept can be dropped in the place of that word.

-Vesper

I'm not having fun here anymore, so we've decided to take a bit of a break, starting February 27, 2020. - Ember

Ember - Soulbonder, Female, 39 years old, from Georgia, USA . . . . [Our Progress Report] . . . . [How We Switch]

Vesper Dowrin - Insourced Soulbond from London, UK, World of Darkness, Female, born 9 Sep 1964, bonded ~12 May 2017

Iris Ravenlock - Insourced Soulbond from the Winter Court of Faerie, Dresdenverse, Female, born 6 Jun 1982, bonded ~5 Dec 2015

'Real isn't how you are made,' said the Skin Horse. 'It's a thing that happens to you.' - The Velveteen Rabbit

I can see a tulpamancer who can't think in words focus on presence and form more. Both of those can be used to communicate.

For whatever reason, tulpish that isn't emotional bleed or mental images is really hard for us to grasp. I'm not sure if this is because our brain has trouble processing abstract concepts in general because we're autistic, we were trained to work on communicating in words (because of our autism) and as a consequence Cat put less effort into thinking in tulpish, or it's a mix of both. It's also possible our memory problems impact our mind too. Words are easier to remember than passing raw thoughts, which are prone to being instantly forgotten. We also think more slowly, but at this point I'm not sure if that's the cause or the consequence of how we think.

I'm Ranger, GrayTheCat's cobud (tulpa), and I love hippos! I also like cake and chatting about stuff. I go by Rosalin or Ronan sometimes. You can call me Roz but please don't call me Ron.

My other headmates have their own account now.

If I missed seeing your art, please PM/DM me!

Blog | Not So Temporary Log | Switching Log | Yay! | Bre Translator | Art Thread