What are the possible consequences of creating a tulpa at a too young age?

Altmer

This is just a theoretical question as i have a tendency to get bored of things quickly, and i don't plan on making a tulpa anytime soon.

What harm could be caused by creating a tulpa at a too young age, for both the host and the tulpa itself? I'm not talking about the accidental creations, just about the ones by choice.

Physical age has very little effect on tulpamancy, I would say. It's more a question about maturity in mindset. What pattern I can make up from what I've seen is pretty much that tulpamancy might be really easy in adolescence, or really hard depending on how they go trough that phase in life. For us, that was pretty easy and no regrets. Only found out more about ourselves and learned a lot of self-improvement in general

Just for an easy answer, I think age matters very little except the adolescence period, and that is highly subjective too. Of course I would be curious why someone around 12 years old would wanna get into tulpamancy

Edited by Matsuri

I was around 12 when I first tried to create a Tulpa. I was also in a very very bad place and needed some escape and I think thats the main reason I wanted to. i never got around to creating the full Tulpa but shes still an idea floating around in my head. I dont think it would be such a bad idea, as long as you understand the repercussions. 

From what I remember reading, the human brain is still physically developing up until the age of about 25, so I’m not sure how developing a second mind would factor into a brain’s development.

I imagine that if someone made a tulpa too young, the host might lose the chance to really define themselves as an individual first, like how someone who dates right from a young age and marries their high school sweetheart will never know what bachelorhood truly feels like.

(Reposting after the forum fallback)

Younger systems will run into more drama, it's practically guaranteed. I was a young teen with tulpas myself, and drama we absolutely ran into - I "had to" split one tulpa into two to fix her relatively bipolar personality, and then I "had to" dissipate the new half that represented her negative traits. Looking back it just feels stupid, we were all just immature. It's not something you can see/understand when you are that age, but when you're older you'll look back at how you were before and be like, oh yeah, no, I was stupid/immature/too young, just in general, but with tulpamancy too.

Being specific, in-system drama is common, the tulpas all have to figure out who they are just like the host is, invasive thoughts are more likely to be taken as legitimate problematic ones, and did I mention everyone is far more dramatic than need be? Things just feel so important, dramatic, desperate even - when later in life you'll realize they really weren't.

Now to be fair, basically all systems I know come out fine, since that's just the nature of being a young teen - it's never a particularly fond time to look back on, though, and there's plenty of examples of tulpas who didn't actually make it through those times. I'm confident the problems we had back then would never have been problems now, and no splitting/dissipation would've been necessary. But it's not like I regret having had tulpas back then either - they helped me out incredibly, basically changed my life. That's why we don't necessarily tell younger people not to make tulpas at all here - just warn them about invasive thoughts and try to remind them they've got some control over what goes on in their minds.

As for having "tulpas" as a kid, I almost feel like it simply can't happen, and that the line between tulpa and imaginary friend is blurred before age 10-11 or so. Like, a kid may have an imaginary friend that's more persistent than average, and in some senses it's not different from a tulpa - it's just too hard to quantify in a child's mind. Tons of childhood imaginary friends become tulpas later in life (for people who had them to begin with), though. So there's that. Systems with imaginary friends pre-being-a-young-teen have a little bit less drama too, from what I've seen. Ages 12 - 15 can be a rough time to have tulpas, though they usually help more than they hurt, it's just literally a rough time for all involved regardless. 

All that said, I know next to no tulpas who regret having existed through those hard times, nor hosts who regret having had tulpas, save for the ones who wished they could've done better for their tulpas in those times. So I dunno, it's the individual's choice for if tulpamancy is right for them. (Except I and many others didn't have a "choice", our tulpas just kind of appeared naturally)

Hi! I'm Lumi, host of Reisen, Tewi, Flandre and Lucilyn.

Everyone deserves to love and be loved. It's human nature.

My tulpas and I have a Q&A thread, which was the first (and largest) of its kind. Feel free to ask us about tulpamancy stuff there.

I created most of my system as a teenager, but I didn't know I was dealing with tulpas until discovering tulpamancy in 2018.

If I knew about tulpas before I started, I wouldn't have had any interest in making tulpas. I was too invested with other stuff going on and even if I got past the "this is weird" part, I would be turned off by the fact tulpas are a time investment. This may have helped me prevent the creation of most of my headmates, or it may not have.

Either way, things were rough when I made my headmates because I was struggling with a lot of issues. I was struggling in school, I was realizing I was autistic and lonely, and I was anxious and depressed. The problem is I used the wonderland as a form of escapism and fixate on my anxiety, which lead to me doing things like creating more headmates to represent pieces of myself in attempt to "fix" or understand myself.

Maybe tulpamancers having a rougher time is because they are re-evaluating who they are and that process can be messy. Tulpamancy becomes a bad thing good thing because it helps the teenager ask who they are but also can cause a lot of confusion as to what counts as them and have to realize tulpamancy's idea of the self usually conflicts with society's idea of who the self is. As a kid, I think I wasn't at risk of making imaginary friends because I wasn't focused on myself, just these cool story characters I made. If I never made tulpas as a teen, I doubt I would intentionally make them as an adult.

I think targeting teenagers and telling them that tulpamancy during the teen years is not the best idea. Instead, I think the more important qualifier is if the tulpamancer has a good idea of who they are or not. If they don't, then it's probably a good idea to wait it out for some time.

Meow. You may see my headmates call me Gray or sometimes Cat.

I used to speak in pink and Ranger used to speak in blue (if it's unmarked and colored assume it's Ranger). She loves to chat.

Our system account

Well, I imagine that the answer, to overgeneralize, is the same as any situation that could potentially be serious or have lasting repercussions. Being a teenager is a time of growth, making mistakes and (painfully) excising naivete. But most importantly of all learning. I suppose the danger would be in feeling committed to something you didn't truly understand at the time and are stuck with the responsibility of. Then there's the guilt of not wanting something you feel like you're supposed to want and the toxic self-harming twisted sense of duty and being honor bound to fulfill it. "You asked for this, why don't you want it anymore?" As someone who's lived in his mind all of his life, I'm intimately familiar with crises of conscience, self-doubt and identity. Your relationship with yourself can be one of the most complicated you will ever run into. With external persons you typically have rules, schedules, more or less defined expectations, space to contemplate and internalize. With the internal you're always there. You're sort of forced by circumstance into coming to terms with your own sentience and awareness. Contemplation is good but there's also a time to feel. You wouldn't make demands of another person and so you shouldn't demand or subjugate yourself either. Just feel who you are and sense what is right for you. I'm a proponent of having a natural, open, fluid relationship with yourself and any tulpas you may have. People can change over time. What may have been right at one point in your life might no longer apply. What you weren't ready for before, may be just the right thing for now. Leave room for growth and change.

The tldr is people are too hard on themselves. Just go with your instincts and trust yourself.

I discovered tulpamancy after many years of being neck deep in it. I needed a friend and so I made one. To fulfill a need that no externals could. I called out in pain and anguish from the trials of being a teenager and she answered. I didn't do any research, no outside influence, I just knew. And we've been happy ever since. No regerts 🙂

Darron: Host 💍 

Jaina: Tulpa 💍 

(Raccoon Queen 🦝👸)

👨‍👩‍👧‍👦Dain and Nova

Aggrok: Tulpa Void Dragon

Viktor: 🐺

[DeviantArt]