Block code isn't working?

Ranger

Question

Normally, the block code in Bear's post would convert to quotes. For whatever reason, that's not happening here: https://community.tulpa.info/topic/16792-tulpas-do-you-have-a-separate-pov-from-your-host-in-the-mindscape/?do=findComment&comment=328803

[Quote]Test[/quote]

[B]Bold text![/B]

[Code]I would be surprised if this ever started working [/code]

[Hr]

I use the line break a lot...

Edited by Ranger

I'm Ranger, Gray's/Cat_ShadowGriffin's tulpa, and I love hippos! I also like cake and chatting about stuff.

My other headmates have their own account now.

Temporary Log | Switching LogcBox | Yay! | Bre Translator

4 answers to this question

It looks like bbcode was disabled in the new version by default.  It's worth noting that it's going away sooner than later, as per their release notes for this version:

[W]eb hosting and domain management features of Commerce are also deprecated as is BBCode. BBCode has its roots in the earliest bulletin-board systems long before rich text editors were common use. It's 2020; we should no longer be asked to type in special codes in square brackets to format text. BBCode is still functional in Invision Community 4.5, but it is likely to be removed in a future version.

I re-enabled bbcode parsing and will continue to until they remove it altogether

test

But it may be worth getting into a habit of using the rich text options.

P.S. I don't particularly agree with deprecating bbcode but I have been moving towards just formatting via rich text.  Shame we can't do markdown or something!

"It's 2020" feels like an excuse to not be more exclusive and cut off more options. It being 2020 never made rich text better.

However, since the forum transition, I got used to the rich text editor. The only thing I type codes for is horizontal rule, especially because the horizontal feature has the off chance of breaking your post into pages.

...wtf? Apparently I can't get rid of this rich text bar. I can't even type under it...

Yeah, and it does the page thing, which is annoying.

test

@BearBeaBeau Your post is still broken because it was posted before Pleeb enabled block code. Please edit and then submit your post.

Edited by Ranger

I'm Ranger, Gray's/Cat_ShadowGriffin's tulpa, and I love hippos! I also like cake and chatting about stuff.

My other headmates have their own account now.

Temporary Log | Switching LogcBox | Yay! | Bre Translator

Why can't we have both?

I'm used to assembling complex posts in a text editor with code before posting 'em because it can be saved offline as a textfile. Until now you couldn't save formatting, quotes, spoilers in the current software and that sucked. So it's good to have BBcode back. Not saying the rich text editor is bad but I'd like to post the same thing as code as well. Especially as long as behavior is as unstable as it is now.

The question is - how does the forum software handle formatting in rich text wysiwyg editors compared to BBcode in the long run? We saw the disaster with spoilers and hidden text with the transition to invision. If every update breaks formatting of all previously made posts I wouldn't call the new forum software a success. The rule should always be to keep things as simple as possible and as complex as necessary, not the other way round to ensure long term backwards compatibility. But I guess people want fancy 'features', that's what you pay for after all. I mean, it's always good to get new stuff but the old one should remain functional.

Super Girls don't cry

3 hours ago, Ranger said:

"It's 2020" feels like an excuse to not be more exclusive and cut off more options. It being 2020 never made rich text better.

From what I'm reading, this looks like a case where Invision Community could no longer maintain bbcode (see below), and thus decided "BBCode is outdatad let's go with this instead."  It's a positive spin on a bug.

1 hour ago, Ido said:

Why can't we have both?

I'm used to assembling complex posts in a text editor with code before posting 'em because it can be saved offline as a textfile. Until now you couldn't save formatting, quotes, spoilers in the current software and that sucked. So it's good to have BBcode back. Not saying the rich text editor is bad but I'd like to post the same thing as code as well. Especially as long as behavior is as unstable as it is now.

The question is - how does the forum software handle formatting in rich text wysiwyg editors compared to BBcode in the long run? We saw the disaster with spoilers and hidden text with the transition to invision. If every update breaks formatting of all previously made posts I wouldn't call the new forum software a success. The rule should always be to keep things as simple as possible and as complex as necessary, not the other way round to ensure long term backwards compatibility.

Yeah, I agree with you, and if I'm being honest, if I knew that Invision Community was discontinuing BBCode I'm not even sure if I could have justified going with them.

At some point, Invision Community decided to store posts as HTML instead of plain text (which is what most bulletin boards do).  This means that you can simply load the static HTML content like any other website instead of actively parsing every plain text post to HTML on every page load.  This greatly increases performance, but you lose the plaintext post.  Since the WYSIWYG editor lives on top of raw HTML and just renders it in the text field wordpress-style, this isn't a problem until you want to support bbcode/markdown/etc: because now you have to down-convert the post back to BBCode, and then reconvert to HTML.  They tried doing that for a while, but apparently it had a lot of bugs, and ultimately it was too much overhead for them to figure out.  That's when they decided "it's 2020, we should depreciate BBCode because rich text is better" rather than saying "BBcode isn't manageable after we forced it to HTML."

2 hours ago, Ido said:

But I guess people want fancy 'features', that's what you pay for after all. I mean, it's always good to get new stuff but the old one should remain functional.

What sold me on Invision Community was the simplicity of backend management and performance.  Aside from the latest hiccup, every update we've done in Invision Community has been significantly less forum-breaking than MyBB.  Even in this update, most issues were solved within a couple hours of myself opening a ticket.  My main qualm at this point is that they don't have a dark theme included by default (the reason the dark theme is still broken, is because the latest version hasn't been pushed to the marketplace yet, though I tried a local copy and it works).  This new version even has plugins handled via a "package manager" instead of having to manually swap .php files in server directories like in MyBB.

My biggest goal was to find what suite would have the best long-term potential to keep undisruptive support going into the future without having to change a platform again.  Invision Community checked all of these boxes, from not making major version changes for several years, to making updating a simple click.  I do admit, features were a factor, mainly because we were trying to replicate what we had with MyBB (and most of what we had in MyBB were plugins).  I'm still hoping for the best with Invision Community.  It's been around for close to 20 years now, and if nothing went wrong I could see myself using it for tulpa.info a decade or two later.  If they did go "full stupid" though, we could move to another platform, worse case, we create our own (I really don't want to do that for security reasons).